My house disappeared.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It was there two nights ago when I was last logged in, and still there yesterday when my partner was hanging out in it, then this morning he sent me a snapshot of where our cottage *used *to be.  :(

I logged in, and sure enough, it's gone.  Nothing else that I own is missing, either from our parcel or from my inventory.  It's not in my objects, my lost and found, or in any of my folders. 

I tried clearing my cache and relogging, nothing.  

Any ideas on what might have happened to it? 

Was your house not provided with copy permission? When you rez a house, you usually have copy permission so that a copy stays in inventory. Did you accidentally edit it and shoot it up into the sky a couple thousand meters or into the ground? Did you accidentally make it transparent? What does about land tell you? How many objects are owned by you?

More info please.

a few times since i have been in SL, my house has disappeared. i tp to a differant sim and come back and still not there. log in the next day and it is there. sometimes things just not rez properly. log in again and check. or, type the name of your house in search in your inventory, perhaps it was put back in your box.

Like Jackie said, today has been nothing but trouble...I've had things disappear all day and new folders I've made today and named, later on shows as labeled "New Folder," like I never named it.  The contents are in there, just the folder name has defaulted.  Strange things all day.  Here's a for instance...some of my snow was missing, not all of it, just patches here and there of where the prims used to be.  Because most of my land is snow covered, I wanted to check my prim count in about land, so I clicked on one of the bare patches that was showing my surface...I automatically went to the right of the pie after clicking, thinking I was choosing about land, instead it had brought up the menu for the snow prim and when I went right automatically, it was the edit I chose...as soon as it was clicked, the snow prim came back.  I did it to all the others and they all came back...it's like they were there but invisible until I clicked on it...maybe try clicking where your house was...worth a try :)

Hopefully this is NOT what happened, but there are two other remote possibilities.

When there is a violation of IP rights and LL must act on it due to a DMCA notice, the offending item is removed completely from the asset servers.  It doesn't just disappear from the offender's inventory but it disappears where ever it was rezzed in world, and all copies of the item held in ANYONE"S inventory disappear too. 

The second possibility is that SL lost all the data for creating it, with the same result.

If it doesn't reappear soon, I'd contact the seller and see if they know what is going on.  If you can reach them, perhaps its the second possibility.  If neither is the case, since most all buildings are copy/no transfer, the seller should have no problem sending you another copy of it if you or they have a record of the purchase. 

In anticipation of you wondering, if there was an IP violation and its gone for good you can kiss the money you paid for it goodbye.  There is no compensation given by LL to innocent parties that lose things they bought.  The chances of receive a refund from the seller are almost nil too for obvious reasons. 

I have copy and mod permissions, and I'd done some extensive editing to the house, turning it from a two story into a one story cottage.  I didn't make a copy of the modded house, my bad I know. 

I'd checked the about land earlier when I was on, and the prims owned by me was almost half of what it had been. 

Since I wasn't logged in for two days and my partner saw it yesterday, I'm confident that there were no accidental edits that took place, but I do know what you're talking about as I've done things like that in the past. 

My heart isn't broken or anything, it just seemed incredibly odd that only this one thing would suddenly disappear. 

Have you checked your lost and found in inventory? It could have possibly been returned accidentally because someone tried to create too many prims on the parcel. In theory, prims rezzed by the land owner at an earlier date should have priority over prims rezzed later by anyone else. In practice, sometimes a parcel full error canm return the wrong prims. 

I recall one rental property that I helped manage, where the parcels each had a pre-fab house on them, created by me and owned by the sim owner. Renters had free use of the house, but couldn't delete or remove it.

Then someone rezzed a large vehicle that had an 'attached' prim-heavy part, and when they docked at their rented parcel and disembarked, they dropped more prims than the parcel could hold even if it had been empty. Their house and several plants got returned - to MY inventory!

Thanks everyone for your responses. :)  

Kylie, just the build itself was gone.  I've had similar things to what you describe happen, so I went into edit mode and tried selecting in the area in which the house was sitting.  The furniture, accessories and and windows I'd put in were all there.  Then when I checked the about land, and saw that the prims belonging to me were about half of what they'd been I realized it was likely gone.

Amethyst, I've heard of that happening with DMCA notices. I'd purchased it from the MP, honestly it wasn't particularly nice, the reason I bought it was I'd planned on changing the textures and taking it apart so that fact that it was really cheap helped me to not feel any attachment to it. 

Pamela I recall reading something about that, I'm glad you had them in your inventory!  (btw, my neighbor just purchased one of your houses - it's gorgeous!) 

Ceera, yes I did check my lost and found and it's not there.  Interesting, I did not know about full parcels sometimes returning the wrong prims.  Typically we get a "parcel too full" message - that would be frustrating for either one of us if the other person's things were returned because one of us had pushed it over the limit.  

Having destroying a couple of houses with mouse mishaps or with just not paying attention has helped me to not get too attached to my items in SL, plus reading about things that happen with people's inventory.  (so sorry to hear about yours Jaimee :(

Who knows, maybe I'll log in tonight and it will appear somewhere.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.