Where Are Breedables Allowed?

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

They are certainly allowed on any mainland parcel you own.

The thing is some types are really a death knell for a region. When they show up in a region you may as well abandon your land because it just became worthless. I would love to say which ones kill regions but that might cause an argument. Not all do.

Ann Otoole wrote:

The thing is some types are really a death knell for a region. When they show up in a region you may as well abandon your land because it just became worthless. I would love to say which ones kill regions but that might cause an argument. Not all do.

If they make land worthless, who would want to invest in land then?  Is there no zoning for these breedables?  I thought I read that somewhere, but have come up with no FAQ, blog or anything about them.  Many say nusence and can reck sims, so why allow in the first place?

And yes I have breedables right next to my SL house.  Now what do I do?  Wait for the lag to get so bad, I'll just pack up and leave? 

Isn't there any kind of cap limit on how many breedables one can have on their land?  Is there a max prim count of their breedable things, and are they charged by the prim of each of the breedables or what exactly?

Argus Collingwood wrote:

What sort of breedables did you have in mind? If you own the land then as long as you do not go over your prim limit there is no issue.

I don't want any personally for myself.  They live next door to me within a very, very short walking distance from my SL house now. 

However, if this is prim-limited, it might not get too bad, hopefully.  I simply don't know how many of these breedables my new neighbor plans to breed there, and there are a lot of them already. 

Even the cutest most well behaved ai pets can cause memory swapping if there are so many that the script memory exceeds the limits. Some are coded to go into low activity mode when nobody is there but the "pro breeders" use bots to keep at them 24*7.

It is just a matter of what you will put up with.

LL needs to get those parcel script limits set up. That will force the over abusers to buy more land or lose most of their stock.

Ann Otoole wrote:

Even the cutest most well behaved ai pets can cause memory swapping if there are so many that the script memory exceeds the limits. Some are coded to go into low activity mode when nobody is there but the "pro breeders" use bots to keep at them 24*7.

It is just a matter of what you will put up with.

LL needs to get those parcel script limits set up. That will force the over abusers to buy more land or lose most of their stock.

Is there something in the works with LL to get the script limits set up?  That seems fair enough. 

Hello I have some breedable pets too, I've 4 running around at the moment. 2 male and 2 female. I didn't realise they could cause problems for neighbours. They haven't caused any problems on the land I'm using as far as I know and they don't move much. I'll try keep 3 out at most after reading this :matte-motes-big-grin-wink: Eventually it will just be the one which I like the most running around

just a few is nothing lol. you are not even close to causing trouble. the over abusers have 50 or more. If you want to observe what memory your pets are using you can open about land on your parcel and look at the script info. As I recall there is about 400MB script memory per region before it starts swapping. If your region is swapping memory to disk then you will get that "rubber banding" effect all the time.

edited to add: Jalax your 4 pets are likely using less memory than a fully decked out fashionista lol. I doubt your pets are any trouble at all.

Jalax wrote:

Hello I have some breedable pets too, I've 4 running around at the moment. 2 male and 2 female. I didn't realise they could cause problems for neighbours. They haven't caused any problems on the land I'm using as far as I know and they don't move much. I'll try keep 3 out at most after reading this :matte-motes-big-grin-wink: Eventually it will just be the one which I like the most running around

No, no not you.  My neighbor which is barely any walking distance from my avatar must have at least 50 to 100 or more.  And it caused me problems once.  It throw me across my house, out the wall, and into hundreds of horses, and was wondering wtfudge?  Anyhow, now they are in plain view right next to my SL house.  I was planning on decorating for the holidays, but I think I'll hold off until I get more info on the script limits, etc. 

ETA:  I don't know how many horses she has right now in plain view, but when I was kicked out my house and across the sim, there were hundreds of horses.  She may have pared down a bit, but then moved right next to me.  So, I hope she keeps this under control. 

If they make land worthless, who would want to invest in land then?  Is there no zoning for these breedables?  I thought I read that somewhere, but have come up with no FAQ, blog or anything about them.  Many say nusence and can reck sims, so why allow in the first place?

And yes I have breedables right next to my SL house.  Now what do I do?  Wait for the lag to get so bad, I'll just pack up and leave? 

Isn't there any kind of cap limit on how many breedables one can have on their land?  Is there a max prim count of their breedable things, and are they charged by the prim of each of the breedables or what exactly?

I assume from your post you live on Linden Land and don't have an estate owner to regulate resource abusing neighbors.

Many private estates do not allow breedables because of the lag issues they cause and perhaps that is what you have read.  Some breedables may not be a problem, but some are.  it also depends on how many are rezzed out at once.  A limit on numbers could be set for each parcel, but I simply don't have the time to regularly count breedables on each parcel to enforce it.  For this reason, and since I can't allow some types and not others and new ones come out from time to time, I ban them all in the covenant that I use.

Some private estates allow them on a limited basis and/or the estate owner monitors for abusive use of resources and takes steps to correct the problem.  However unless you know the estate owner well and know for a fact that they monitor this frequently and  run a 'tight ship' you may still have problems.

If it gets to be a problem for you and you end up having to move, you may want to consider a private estate that does not allow them. 

Maya, they've been talking about script limits forever...nothing is in the works in the near future that I've heard of.  Go ahead an do your decorating or, and I know you don't like to hear this, but if it is impeding so much on your daily activity in SL, move somewhere else :(  It most likely won't get better.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I assume from your post you live on Linden Land and don't have an estate owner to regulate resource abusing neighbors.

Many private estates do not allow breedables because of the lag issues they cause and perhaps that is what you have read.  Some breedables may not be a problem, but some are.  it also depends on how many are rezzed out at once.  A limit on numbers could be set for each parcel, but I simply don't have the time to regularly count breedables on each parcel to enforce it.  For this reason, and since I can't allow some types and not others and new ones come out from time to time, I ban them all in the covenant that I use.

Some private estates allow them on a limited basis and/or the estate owner monitors for abusive use of resources and takes steps to correct the problem.  However unless you know the estate owner well and know for a fact that they monitor this frequently and  run a 'tight ship' you may still have problems.

If it gets to be a problem for you and you end up having to move, you may want to consider a private estate that does not allow them. 

I asked my landlady and she said that my SL rental house is on mainland.  That doesn't really tell me much.  A FAQ about these breedables might be a good idea before people get into something they really don't have any idea about.  That's one reason I don't like them and am leary of them as there isn't really any good info on them.  And, I don't want things breeding out of control, so I'm not interested, plus I'm more interested in photography and a few other things in SL.

I don't think it's a private estate where I'm renting my house, but I did ask for a coalease if things get out of hand and will have to move.  I'm hoping NOT right now that I will have to move, as we are tweaking two computers right now and my computer will be down here and there over the next few days to weeks or so as parts are added, taken out, etc. 

Ive been been breeding the rabbits for little over a year.  At one time I had over 400 and yes it did cause some lag, not as much as I thought it would.  I owned about 75% of the sim.  About 3 months ago, I trimmed down the number of rabbits I have to about 30.  What was strange is that it didnt seem to make much difference in the lag.  What I found out was most of the lag was coming from the nests that I just had sitting around.  I had about 2000 nests and never gave it a thought that 1 prim nests that never move would cause lag.  When I removed the nests, the sim performance was back to normal.  So, moving breedables can cause lag, some more than others.  But the static nests that they produce cause more lag.  That is just my experience.

Each individual creator/team/company puts out their own info on their own breedable. It's sorta on the shoulders of the customers to go get it, or the potential ones that is. There is tons of information out there, but no two breedables are the same, so the info isn't one-size-fits-all. There is no "general breedable faq" and there couldn't be, because they aren't all the same.

I wouldn't rely primarily on anything a creator puts out about their own product.  In my experience, many creators won't  admit their creations cause problems either because they don't care or they flat out don't know.   Not to say that scripts are the only culprit, because they aren't, but as an example, there are all kinds of ways to write scripts to accomplish the same result.  Generally the most efficient scripting can also the most advance.  One common thing less advanced scripters do is use too many scripts that communicate with one another using server resources.    It takes them several to do what an advance scripter can do in one script.

I'm fairly certain the kind of information the OP is looking for, can be found by looking at (or asking directly if needed) what the creators have put out there. That's what I was replying to anyway, the desire for a general "go to" answer spot/faq/whatever you want to call it, about all breedables in sl.

There isn't going to ever be a one-size-fits-all FAQ for "breedables in general" in sl. That's not even remotely possible. Speaking purely about the scripts they ALL vary. What applies to one breedable, won't apply to another. Script times aren't the same, the servers/databases aren't the same, the functionality of the products(even those that seem similar) aren't exactly the same, etc.. There's just too many differences.

Mayalily wrote:

Ann Otoole wrote:

The thing is some types are really a death knell for a region. When they show up in a region you may as well abandon your land because it just became worthless.

No zoning. Everytime I bring up the subject of zoning people who complain about mainland blight shout me down... o.O

- People who fear regulation deserve every possible harm that could imaginably happen to them... ;)

What you can do if breedables show up is one of three choices:

1. Deal with it sucker.

2. Move. Sell your land for so little only bots will buy it because no sane person would, and move.

3. AR the things repeatedly every day until a Linden bothers to care.

- Not all breedables will trigger these responses though.

Some are curiously low lag, like Meeroos. Others can nuke a sim and leave a half-life of radioactive fallout in their wake, like scion chickens.

- Most are somewhere in between.

My home is in a sim with several hundred rezzed breedables, and I feel no lag. I'm lucky in what type of breedables my neighber and I keep (different for each of us). I actually got my land because when my neighbor went into breedables the old owner of my land pannicked and listed the lot for 0.01L/m over the bot price... so I managed to click buy before any bots showed up.

My roos can be active with no lag. My neighbors horses are set in static mode, or they would lag us...

lol the sim next door to where i used to home had a huge horse operation going and they just had to build it at the same altitude as my fugly skybox. What was hillarious was those times something somewhere goofs and hovertext is visible for miles. I have never seen so much hovertext lol.

Why do people invest in them? There are so many nice animals that don't need to be feed, why do people want to invest in a product that has you tied to always going back to get food.  What next? Cars that require you to buy gas? Tackle that needs SL little blue pills? And I know a woman who was given a breedable horse by a guy she just met. They're given those away...who sets up these huge raunches and thinks they're get rich??

Syd

sydney Kobichenko wrote:

Why do people invest in them? There are so many nice animals that don't need to be feed, why do people want to invest in a product that has you tied to always going back to get food.  What next? Cars that require you to buy gas? Tackle that needs SL little blue pills? And I know a woman who was given a breedable horse by a guy she just met. They're given those away...who sets up these huge raunches and thinks they're get rich??

Syd

Why do people invest in anything at all in sl. I can think of things that cost way more, and many don't get a whole lot of benefit from them after the initial purchase(or the short time after). There are cars in sl that need gas, btw.(there's just about everything in sl, if you look for it).

I'm not so sure why people care what others invest in. There are plenty of people who do make a pretty penny off their breedables, the offspring and/or creations to go along with them. It's a matter of business for those folks and personally I commend them when they do/can. I've done it myself. I've had breedables pay my rl bills, still do. Just because some folks can't make the breedables work for them, doesn't mean everyone can't. But then I've also never invested a ton of money in them. I never have and I never will. I don't believe you have to invest a lot to make a profit off them. You just have to know what you're doing and actually be serious about it. You can't go at it half-cocked and expect to benefit.

They are allowed anywhere on the Mainland and if you pay a lot in Rent, most private Region Owners welcome customers.

As Residents, we are not allowed to Disturb the Peace of other Residents, have an Unfair Use of System Resources and I could think of other violations if I thought two wasn't enough.

I have a Snapshot of a neighbor who owns a few horses, I would guess about 200. The land was cheap because of the horses. Helped me out, it's decent land so long as you never look to the North. I will try to post the photo here, or, send it to you and you could post it here. (I'm not a computer scientist) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.