Sign in to follow this  
Lyle Maeterlinck

Immortality

I think the hardest part of being immortal would be growing tired of the world after hundreds or thousands of years and just wanting to move on. What do you think the most difficult part would be?

If you lived for thousands of years, how do you think it would change you? Do you think you would stay mostly the same, or would your personality change a great deal over time?

The hardest part would be loneliness.

If you were to be the only one alive after a millennia, it would be difficult. 

If there were others like you, it would be tolerable.

Surviving your pets is sad, but having family is fundamental.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

The hardest part would be loneliness.

If you were to be the only one alive after a millennia, it would be difficult. 

If there were others like you, it would be tolerable.

Surviving your pets is sad, but having family is fundamental.

Good grief, 41 years with Maddy has already felt like ten lifetimes. I can't imagine spending eternity with even more like her.

Boredom...  You have seen it all, done it all, experienced everything under the sun (moon).  Finding a reason to watch the moon rise again every evening would just get so tiresome.  Rise, feed, possibly fight if survival is an issue and back in the coffin again.  Rinse, repeat.  You need to find something you feel strongly enough about to be involved with life (death - whatever)  After thousands and thousands of victims there would not even be the thrill of the hunt to sustain you.  The 50 year wars of humans are meaningless is your long existence,  the life and death of cattle (humans) does not strike a chord of enthusiasm.  The question is why would you continue if nothing has meaning or excitement?  Maybe it is time to greet the dawn...  Yep, boredom.

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

Boredom...  You have seen it all, done it all, experienced everything under the sun (moon).  Finding a reason to watch the moon rise again every evening would just get so tiresome.  Rise, feed, possibly fight if survival is an issue and back in the coffin again.  Rinse, repeat.  You need to find something you feel strongly enough about to be involved with life (death - whatever)  After thousands and thousands of victims there would not even be the thrill of the hunt to sustain you.  The 50 year wars of humans are meaningless is your long existence,  the life and death of cattle (humans) does not strike a chord of enthusiasm.  The question is why would you continue if nothing has meaning or excitement?  Maybe it is time to greet the dawn...  Yep, boredom.

Noooooooooo!!!

I'm less bored now than at any point in my life. I'd hope that, as now, the more I know, the more I'd want to know. I could argue that stories of ancient, bored vampires is not much different than the stories of young bored college students. Neither is terribly romantic.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

Noooooooooo!!!

I'm less bored now than at any point in my life. I'd hope that, as now, the more I know, the more I'd want to know. I could argue that stories of ancient, bored vampires is not much different than the stories of young bored college students. Neither is terribly romantic.

and neither actually exist in reality

I think for younger vampires, it would be difficult watching your beloved human companions grow old and die while you remain unchanged. I believe some older vampires choose to have fewer human attachements for this reason. You would have to develop a very deep, and fundamental reason for your own existence to be able to continue living century after century.

One of my favorite Anne Rice books, is Queen of the Damned. One of my favorite characters Maharet found her purpose for being one of the oldest living vampires in keeping a tree of her living blood relatives.

Noooooooooo!!!

I agree with that, Maddy.  I am more excited about life now than I was as a teen, but we are talking thousands of years.  The thing with humans is that we have stages in our lives where things change.  Of course, I wish each stage lasted a bit longer, but I would not give up a single one of those stages for anything.  Infant, child, teen, marriage, parenthood, retirement, finally old age...  I wonder what the stages of a vampires life are.  Do they have stages they go through that are meaningful?  Is there a next stage to look forward to?  I have never known any vampires for a long enough period of time to see any changes or to know what their goals for existence are.  I know these goals must be different for each vampire just as they are different for each human.

Immortality as alluring as it sounds, if it were a solitary condition only I suffered it'd make me cinical and bored of the world eventually, unless I kept reinventing myself as to not be bored, but at some point there would be a point I guess where you would have seen it all and done it all.

The world is in constant change however, so it'd be intriguing to see what direction mankind takes over time

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

Noooooooooo!!!

I agree with that, Maddy.  I am more excited about life now than I was as a teen, but we are talking thousands of years.  The thing with humans is that we have stages in our lives where things change.  Of course, I wish each stage lasted a bit longer, but I would not give up a single one of those stages for anything.  Infant, child, teen, marriage, parenthood, retirement, finally old age...  I wonder what the stages of a vampires life are.  Do they have stages they go through that are meaningful?  Is there a next stage to look forward to?  I have never known any vampires for a long enough period of time to see any changes or to know what their goals for existence are.  I know these goals must be different for each vampire just as they are different for each human.

I recently listened to a medical researcher waxing rhapsodic about the "fact" that the first person who will live to be 200 is alive today. I was mortified by his presumption that this was a universally positive development, devoid of consequences. He did not address how economies and societies would adapt to people living so long, nor did he address how much of that 200 years would be lived as a healthy, productive individual. Would we be open to new ideas well into our 180s? What about that eighty five term congressman? How would young adults compete for jobs against people with 130 years experience?

I think the reality of "immortality" might be much more like what you fear, but if we're talking about the fantasy of immortality, I'm gonna have a rocking good time forever.

watching the humans make the same mind numbingly stupid mistakes over and over gets old. What is bad is they finally harnessed the power of the sun and can burn us all off the planet. Was better when all they had was rocks, sticks, and flint.

What about that eighty five term congressman?

This I think would be no bad thing.  The problem with most politicans is that fail to plan for the long term due to the short electoral cycles engendering short term fixes and gimmicks in preparation for the next election.  It's rare apart from large capital projects to even see them plan for the medium term.

Most of the politicans I respect, regardless of whether they are on the left or the right, are the veterans who have been around long enough to have seen it all and bought the t-shirt more than once.

As life is a strange nonsense, undeath gives logic to what you do.

Most of the mortals want to change the world but they lack the time to do it. When the Death takes them, what they did is nothing. Vampires have years to move a pawn on the chessboard.

Listen to their heart, it's not beating anymore. Vampires are freed of the feelings and inhibitions. No barriers to prevent them from satisfying their needs and desires.

The memory do is work, meaningless and oldest events are fading away.

New challenges are always rising up, research, powerful enemies, political games, changing human society, new mysteries. The ones who were bored in life can be bored in undeath, but for most of the others it's a chance to learn more and more, to get wiser, to increase their powers.

And there's always a way out, sunlight, fire, lycan claws...

Sy Beck wrote:

What about that eighty five term congressman?

This I think would be no bad thing.  The problem with most politicans is that fail to plan for the long term due to the short electoral cycles engendering short term fixes and gimmicks in preparation for the next election.  It's rare apart from large capital projects to even see them plan for the medium term.

Most of the politicans I respect, regardless of whether they are on the left or the right, are the veterans who have been around long enough to have seen it all and bought the t-shirt more than once.

The question for me is whether they reach 85 terms because they've consistently been the voice of their constituents or because they've fortified their position in the "network". That's a long time to dig in.

We have some experience already with the effects of increasing life expectancy. It's been good overall, I think, but not without the usual unintended consequences.

Yep, I do believe that, often,  you don't catch the meaning of what you hear.

Some people tend to focus on criticizing the form when they are too thick to understand the content.

Lib (Mesquin du Monde) :smileyvery-happy:

When your head bangs on a jar and that it sounds hollow, maybe it is not the jar which is empty.

I would never get bored! So many things to do and all those new possibilitys with an endless lifetime gives.....

I guess the hardest part is to hide the fact your different form normal humans and not end in some labortory or zoo. Getting blood can be also a problem and last but not least....you know that you will lose everyone you know, cause they are aging and your not.

But all in all...a big journey of fun.

All of those replys are so earth bound xD ... if you live so long that nothing new comes up, sign up for long term space missions since after a few hundret years on earth it becomes boring, then the 60 or so years to the next star wont be so bad. And age is not a problem either so those vampires could even come back.

And there is for sure a lot of new things to see and do on other planets and maybe even tasty alien blood here and there (or becoming a snack here and there but what would eternal life be without some danger and excitement)

Are you a vampire? Do you don't know what to do? Does the blood not taste as it used to? NASA wants you!