Sign in to follow this  
Lyle Maeterlinck

Your favorite Second Life vampire story

Hi everyone! I'll be on these forums until 4pm SL time today proposing topics for vampire discussion as part of the Vampires in Second Life Resident-hosted Event. I'm one of the co-creators of the Bloodlines system. Feel free to ask any questions or suggest topics you would like to discuss.

To start things off, I'd like to see if anyone has a favorite Vampire roleplay story they'd like to share. Where did it take place? What happened? Why is it your favorite?

Favorite vampire story? 

Hmmmmmmm.

Let's see.

Once a time Bloodlines banned any one sending random bite requests........................

Favorite vampire story? 

Hmmmmmmm.

Let's see.

Once a time Bloodlines banned any one sending random bite requests........................

Being the co creator of one of the most despised systems in Second Life, do you feel that all the negative attention has only served to further popularize your product, and does that coincide with the fact that vampires are supposed to be feared and loathed anyways? 

Being the co creator of one of the most despised systems in Second Life, do you feel that all the negative attention has only served to further popularize your product, and does that coincide with the fact that vampires are supposed to be feared and loathed anyways? 

Hi Charolotte, great question. The Bloodlines system was designed to spread like a real vampire curse through Second Life. If there were vampires running around trying to bite everyone in real life, surely there would be some people who were upset. I think it has been an interesting social experiment to see how a curse of this kind can successfully spread through a virtual population. I think it's even more interesting if people think of the vampires as  "despised", as people might despise a real vampire curse.

However, in real life, fending off the vampires wouldn't be quite so easy as just saying a simple 'decline'. If you are truly bothered by the requests, we provide a simple way to protect yourself: the garlic necklace. The vast majority of our players don't go around sending random bite requests, so I hope you won't judge our system based on the actions of a few.

Hi Charolotte, great question. The Bloodlines system was designed to spread like a real vampire curse through Second Life. If there were vampires running around trying to bite everyone in real life, surely there would be some people who were upset. I think it has been an interesting social experiment to see how a curse of this kind can successfully spread through a virtual population. I think it's even more interesting if people think of the vampires as  "despised", as people might despise a real vampire curse.

However, in real life, fending off the vampires wouldn't be quite so easy as just saying a simple 'decline'. If you are truly bothered by the requests, we provide a simple way to protect yourself: the garlic necklace. The vast majority of our players don't go around sending random bite requests, so I hope you won't judge our system based on the actions of a few.

No, I personally don't despise vampires, I accepted a bite request once a long time ago and got a cool bite tattoo to wear, I have never met another vampire since. 

I get far more unwanted requests from non vampires, and its not for bites :P

No, I personally don't despise vampires, I accepted a bite request once a long time ago and got a cool bite tattoo to wear, I have never met another vampire since. 

I get far more unwanted requests from non vampires, and its not for bites :P

Lyle Maeterlinck wrote:

Hi Charolotte, great question.
The Bloodlines system was designed to spread like a real vampire curse through Second Life.
If there were vampires running around trying to bite everyone in real life, surely there would be some people who were upset. I think it has been an interesting social experiment to see how a curse of this kind can successfully spread through a virtual population. I think it's even more interesting if people think of the vampires as  "despised", as people might despise a real vampire curse.

So you openly admit that the design of Bloodlines was to harrass and troll and bother the residents of Second Life!

Nice to know!

Lyle Maeterlinck wrote:

Hi Charolotte, great question.
The Bloodlines system was designed to spread like a real vampire curse through Second Life.
If there were vampires running around trying to bite everyone in real life, surely there would be some people who were upset. I think it has been an interesting social experiment to see how a curse of this kind can successfully spread through a virtual population. I think it's even more interesting if people think of the vampires as  "despised", as people might despise a real vampire curse.

So you openly admit that the design of Bloodlines was to harrass and troll and bother the residents of Second Life!

Nice to know!

Well, I guess that counts as a vampire story with a happy ending: I got a vampire bite and ended up with a cool bite tattoo. Thanks again for your interesting question! Does anyone else have a vampire story they'd like to share?

Well, I guess that counts as a vampire story with a happy ending: I got a vampire bite and ended up with a cool bite tattoo. Thanks again for your interesting question! Does anyone else have a vampire story they'd like to share?

I don't feel that its harassing and trolling when people play the game correctly. It was created to give residents a more visual effect with their RP, and yes, although some people have abused it and given Bloodlines a bad name, I think that all in all, it's still a great game! The majority of players actually do not abuse it, and harass people. The creators have given everyone the option of wearing the garlic necklace, one time only, to remove them from any aspect of the game. Linden Labs have also given us the option to mute people that we find harassing. If someone is harassing another with unwanted bite requests, its very simple to tell them no, mute them, avoid them, garlic, etc. There are several options to get out of ANY situation in Second Life. I find it odd, that, even in RL... you hear more and more of the bad things that happen. But, how often do you hear of the GOOD things that happen? I've been with Bloodlines for a long time.. I've seen some bad, I've been harassed and ridiculed, but... I've seen SO SO SO much good come out of this game. 

I don't feel that its harassing and trolling when people play the game correctly. It was created to give residents a more visual effect with their RP, and yes, although some people have abused it and given Bloodlines a bad name, I think that all in all, it's still a great game! The majority of players actually do not abuse it, and harass people. The creators have given everyone the option of wearing the garlic necklace, one time only, to remove them from any aspect of the game. Linden Labs have also given us the option to mute people that we find harassing. If someone is harassing another with unwanted bite requests, its very simple to tell them no, mute them, avoid them, garlic, etc. There are several options to get out of ANY situation in Second Life. I find it odd, that, even in RL... you hear more and more of the bad things that happen. But, how often do you hear of the GOOD things that happen? I've been with Bloodlines for a long time.. I've seen some bad, I've been harassed and ridiculed, but... I've seen SO SO SO much good come out of this game. 

Hmm.. my favorite SL Vampire story.... easy. 

I started out in Bloodlines in 2008... Quickly moved my way up, became Queen of a clan I was building with one of my ex's. During that time, I met a lot of people, learned a lot of things, and even though I was hurt by a few, there were more around me that I grew very close to, and built wonderful friendships with. Over the course of the last few years, one of my closest male friends that I never would have met if it hadn't been for Bloodlines, and I built a wonderful friendship that has just grown and grown.... Finally, in June of this year, we made a leap of faith, and now live together harmoniously in RL... 

If not for Bloodlines, and great friends introducing him to our Clan Family, I don't know that I ever would have met Obsidian.. 

Hmm.. my favorite SL Vampire story.... easy. 

I started out in Bloodlines in 2008... Quickly moved my way up, became Queen of a clan I was building with one of my ex's. During that time, I met a lot of people, learned a lot of things, and even though I was hurt by a few, there were more around me that I grew very close to, and built wonderful friendships with. Over the course of the last few years, one of my closest male friends that I never would have met if it hadn't been for Bloodlines, and I built a wonderful friendship that has just grown and grown.... Finally, in June of this year, we made a leap of faith, and now live together harmoniously in RL... 

If not for Bloodlines, and great friends introducing him to our Clan Family, I don't know that I ever would have met Obsidian.. 

Ahh so you are responsible for the plague on sl that is bloodlines!  I was tricked into a bite when I was new by someone I thought was simply roleplaying as a vamp.  Later I found out that he was just padding his stats for a silly game.  I spent way too much time for the next year fending off comments and questions about my soul from other morons.  Finally, someone told me about the garlic necklace.  I wore it so that the leeches would leave me alone.  Now I have to settle for having my name included in a database for a game I never played.  That's my vampire story. 

Calliope Larkham wrote:

I don't feel that its harassing and trolling when people play the game correctly.

It wouldn't be so bad if you policed your own.  For instance, any Vamp caught  soliciting at a welcome area you ban from the game.

But then again you are in it for the money.

Why should normal avatars even  have to wear a garlic necklace. Which also gets you in a database! We should not have to carry that burden to stay safe. If you bite me Im going to kick your pale arse all the way to hatees which is where your heading anyway.

The creator of the game has already admitted that he is proud of the harassment that has infected SL.  He's not going to ban players for doing exactly what he intended.

Fortunately, some clans and roleplayers (most I think) have risen above the intent of the game and realized that it is harassing and trolling to use the game the way it was intended.  What's funny is that they think they are playing it correctly! 

Lyle Maeterlinck wrote:

Hi Charolotte, great question. The Bloodlines system was
designed to spread like a real vampire curse
through Second Life. If there were vampires running around trying to bite everyone in real life, surely there would be some people who were upset. I think it has been
an interesting social experiment
to see how a curse of this kind can successfully spread through a virtual population. I think it's even more interesting if people think of the vampires as  "despised", as people might despise a real vampire curse.

However, in real life, fending off the vampires wouldn't be quite so easy as just saying a simple 'decline'. If you are truly bothered by the requests,
we provide a simple way to protect yourself: the garlic necklace
. The vast majority of our players don't go around sending random bite requests, so I hope you won't judge our system based on the actions of a few.

Wait...  What?!?!  I was willing to give this whole subforum the benefit of the doubt.  I have politely posted to several threads during this 'live' event.  ^^This has changed my mind about bloodlines and not in a good way.  I accepted that my own ignorance (I was only 10 days old) got me into your data base.  I tried to make it work and played along with the rp as much as I was able to.  Much later I discovered the garlic necklace and activated it.  Now, you are saying it was purposely designed to collect as many unknowing SL residents as possible to put their name in a database or get them to spend money on a potion? (which still won't remove your name from a publicly searchable database). Now I find out that I am just part of an interesting social experiment which as nothing to do with games or rp? 

The issue with the garlic necklace is that it's the third thing you find out about.  First you get a bite request (which says nothing about accepting is a permanent decision and says nothing about collecting user names in an off world location that you can never get yourself removed from)  Second you are told the rules: the money involved, the cost to get your 'pretend soul' back, the fact that your info is stored offworld - by then it is too late to change your mind.  Third someone finally tells you about the garlic necklace that you have to wear to OPT-OUT (after never having been given a chance to opt-in to this kind of role play) which only hides your name in the database, but does not actually remove it

I understand that you are just a co-creator of this system.  I would never hold a gun manufacturing company responsible for everyone who picked up a gun and misused it, so I do not hold you personally responsible.  I do believe your system is flawed (even if you are making big money from people who are not fully informed - more power to you).  It should be much more obvious that people are making a permanent decision from the first bite request not just temporarily 'animating your avatar'.  There is nothing temporary about your game. 

I know there are many responsible players that are more forthcoming with what the game is before a request is ever sent to a victim, but I believe they are the exception and not the rule.

I have so many amazing stories since joining Bloodlines back on September 4th, 2009.  My first month of SL I was completely anti bloodlines!  And I am so glad I changed my mind.  I have met the most amazing people because of Bloodlines.  The people I consider my family here, they have no only been there for me in SL but also for my RL as well.  I am a syndicated fashion blogger in SL and i love what I do, and honestly, I wouldn't have started it if it wasn't for the connections in the SL Fashion industry i made because of the people I met through Bloodlines (Waves to Pily Whitesong and Elize Enzo) LOL. 

Through Bloodlines and the clan I started with, I found a true sense of community that was not just about Bloodlines.  We encouraged each other with what we wanted to achieve in SL and in RL.  People who 2 short years ago were complete strangers, are now some of my dearest friends, not only in SL but in RL as well.  I have seen two people meet in their Bloodlines Clan, Fall in love on SL and then take it to RL.  I personally know of five couples, one of which just celebrated the birth of their RL baby boy....and they met because of Bloodlines.

Me personally, I have learned many things having risen through the ranks of my clan that I now implement in my RL.  Diplomacy, dealing with people of different cultures, being patient when their is a language barrier, conflict resolution. Heck i have seen 0 day old noobs on sl join a bloodlines clan and because of the help and support they get from their new family, by day five can dress themselves, edit objects, open a box, know how to teleport, create nc's folders, search their inventory, check their mute lists, send ims, send friend requests, learn how to navigate their dashboard on the main secondlife website and basically function like a person who has been on sl for MONTHS.  I don't know many places outside of Bloodlines that do that. I have people say to me if it wasn't for the people they met in Bloodlines they would have left SL, cause until they joined a Bloodlines clan, either as a vampire, lycan or human, they were bored silly on sl with no one to talk to. 

You can always spin something bad, and the detractors are usually the ones with the loudests mouths.  Yes, I am well aware that there are some people who have not had a great experience in Bloodlines, but I can tell you from personal experience, that is an extremely tiny number and not the experience of the majority.

PS - For over 2 years now, Bloodlines Players have not been able to bite any avatar under 14 days old who first does not put on the Bloodlines HUD.  So the biting 0 day old avi's has been gone, for a very very very very long time.  Most people in Bloodlines do not send out random bites, in fact, most people in Bloodlines discourage it.  To judge a thriving, creative, active community based on the actions of a true minority is really quite narrow minded.  I know how Bloodlines has enriched my SL experience and that is all i can speak of.

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

Lyle Maeterlinck wrote:

Hi Charolotte, great question. The Bloodlines system was
designed to spread like a real vampire curse
through Second Life. If there were vampires running around trying to bite everyone in real life, surely there would be some people who were upset. I think it has been
an interesting social experiment
to see how a curse of this kind can successfully spread through a virtual population. I think it's even more interesting if people think of the vampires as  "despised", as people might despise a real vampire curse.

However, in real life, fending off the vampires wouldn't be quite so easy as just saying a simple 'decline'. If you are truly bothered by the requests,
we provide a simple way to protect yourself: the garlic necklace
. The vast majority of our players don't go around sending random bite requests, so I hope you won't judge our system based on the actions of a few.

Wait...  What?!?!  I was willing to give this whole subforum the benefit of the doubt.  I have politely posted to several threads during this 'live' event.  ^^This has changed my mind about bloodlines and not in a good way.  I accepted that my own ignorance (I was only 10 days old) got me into your data base.  I tried to make it work and played along with the rp as much as I was able to.  Much later I discovered the garlic necklace and activated it.  Now, you are saying it was purposely designed to collect as many unknowing SL residents as possible to put their name in a database or get them to spend money on a potion? (which still won't remove your name from a publicly searchable database). Now I find out that I am just part of an interesting social experiment which as nothing to do with games or rp? 

The issue with the garlic necklace is that it's the
third
thing you find out about.  First you get a bite request (which says nothing about accepting is a permanent decision and says nothing about collecting user names in an off world location that you can
never
get yourself removed from)  Second you are told the rules: the money involved, the cost to get your 'pretend soul' back, the fact that your info is stored offworld - by then it is too late to change your mind.  Third someone finally tells you about the garlic necklace that you have to wear to OPT-OUT (after never having been given a chance to opt-in to this kind of role play) which only hides your name in the database, but does not actually remove it

I understand that you are just a co-creator of this system.  I would never hold a gun manufacturing company responsible for everyone who picked up a gun and misused it, so I do not hold you personally responsible.  I do believe your system is flawed (even if you are making big money from people who are not fully informed - more power to you).  It should be much more obvious that people are making a permanent decision from the first bite request not just temporarily 'animating your avatar'.  There is nothing temporary about your game. 

I know there are many responsible players that are more forthcoming with what the game is before a request is ever sent to a victim, but I believe they are the exception and not the rule.

I agree with you Cinnamon, though I do hold Lyle personally responsible. The system operates as he intended. He's seen the scorn the game has earned and simply finds that "interesting". In my book, that opens him up to scorn as well.

Just to add to my story.......

When I was young in SL a 'friend' asked to bite me.  I didn't know what it was about and agreed, games being games.  Shortly after she left SL.

About a year later I made 'friends' with another vampress.  She tells me, "I see you've been bitten."

In my puzzlement she linked me to your victims list.  When I asked her what I could do about it she tells me I can BUY your stupid potion. Doesn't get me out of your data base but makes me bite-able again.

OK, so now you are playing nice and let me wear a garlic necklace for free.  How nice of you.

Thing is I don't want my name in your damned data base.  Period. Nor do a lot of other residents and there are many others who would agree if the were aware of all this ass-hattery.

So my hostility is not at vampires per se, but you used me as an unwilling participant to make money without my consent.  

So as far as I can see your participation IS NOT about vampirism, but about making money.

Otherwise your OP would have read I am an Old Vamp here to answer questions, not an advert for your system.

Kapish?