LL - Ever Heard of Email?

Summer Seale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok,

I'm a bit pissed off, so please forgive my frigging tone, but there you go:

LL, ever heard of email? When my web provider has to restart my site for an upgrade, or whatever reason, they EMAIL me and let me know they're going to be doing it soon.

You guys have email, right? You have the names of people who OWN A SIM, right? Do you THINK you could be as courteous as a webhost? I pay far less for my web host - far, far less - and they show me more courtesy than just giving me a 1 minute warning to GTFO my own sim before it vanishes for fifteen minutes or more.

How hard would it be? I don't have time to join lists and check out every posting about server maintenance or upgrades or discussions of code. I'm busy most of the time. A little note via email, just a simple "We need to restart sims soon, please be advised." would be very much fracking appreciated.

I'd say thanks, but I'm not a damn hypocrite.

Summer Seale.

EDIT: I realize that this is a weekly thing, but giving me a one minute warning is just wrong. I was doing stuff at the time. Also, as everyone knows, this can happen quite frequently from time to time, and I'm a little tired of not getting warned by LL when it's going to happen. I apologize for my ranting tone, but I still think that LL should give us a little email as a courtesy for paying hundreds of dollars a month to them for our own place. Just telling us what's going on before it happens would help a lot.

Thanks.

while I agree the current notice is entirely too short, have you considered the implications of your request?

scheduled restarts are.... well, scheduled.... they are on a fixed day, and time period... individual regions are not restarted separately, but rather the whole machine is (which may be hosting 2 to 16 individual regions, depending on the machine and region types). these regions are not actually tied to a specific machine, but rather hosted on whichever machine is available. The entire restart process is run by automated script across all machines using that server channel to minimize downtime for the service as a whole, since it is essentially a live feed.

knowing these factors, and given that most ISPs and WSPs only provide a day and a general time period, what exact improvement would be reasonable? a longer inworld notice time?

while I agree the current notice is entirely too short, have you considered the implications of your request?

scheduled restarts are.... well, scheduled.... they are on a fixed day, and time period... individual regions are not restarted separately, but rather the whole machine is (which may be hosting 2 to 16 individual regions, depending on the machine and region types). these regions are not actually tied to a specific machine, but rather hosted on whichever machine is available. The entire restart process is run by automated script across all machines using that server channel to minimize downtime for the service as a whole, since it is essentially a live feed.

knowing these factors, and given that most ISPs and WSPs only provide a day and a general time period, what exact improvement would be reasonable? a longer inworld notice time?

No, it was a one minute warning, I was paying attention to my screen, and I wasn't the only one who complained about it either - and I'm not just talking about on my own sim. Other sim owners and residents were complaining about it on another chat about another sim around the same time....seconds after it happened to me.

And I have considered the implications. Have you considered also that LL never emailed me to tell me about weekly restarts? How did I find out? A linden who works on servers and is a good friend of mine told me after it happened. That's how I found out.

So, again, on communication, they get a big fat FAIL. And again: I'm not the only one who complained, but I am the only one who took it upon herself to post about it.

No, it was a one minute warning, I was paying attention to my screen, and I wasn't the only one who complained about it either - and I'm not just talking about on my own sim. Other sim owners and residents were complaining about it on another chat about another sim around the same time....seconds after it happened to me.

And I have considered the implications. Have you considered also that LL never emailed me to tell me about weekly restarts? How did I find out? A linden who works on servers and is a good friend of mine told me after it happened. That's how I found out.

So, again, on communication, they get a big fat FAIL. And again: I'm not the only one who complained, but I am the only one who took it upon herself to post about it.

My point is that general complaints rarely get action, and when they do it's often not what the person with the complaint had in mind.... to be effective you need to state what changes should be expected. aside from the psyshic network, I don't think any company employees mind readers ;)

My point is that general complaints rarely get action, and when they do it's often not what the person with the complaint had in mind.... to be effective you need to state what changes should be expected. aside from the psyshic network, I don't think any company employees mind readers ;)

I suggested an email. =)

After all, LL has no problems emailing me when they want to pimp their latest marketplace attractions and whatnot. There are far less sim owners than what is required by mass emailing everyone registered with LL, so I still am not sure what the problem is with emailing sim owners when they have to know some basic things.

I'd like to also point out that, as a sim owner, I have never received an email about policy chances or maintenance, or anything relating to my sim whatsoever. I find that extremely negligent.

I suggested an email. =)

After all, LL has no problems emailing me when they want to pimp their latest marketplace attractions and whatnot. There are far less sim owners than what is required by mass emailing everyone registered with LL, so I still am not sure what the problem is with emailing sim owners when they have to know some basic things.

I'd like to also point out that, as a sim owner, I have never received an email about policy chances or maintenance, or anything relating to my sim whatsoever. I find that extremely negligent.

Summer Seale wrote:

What do you expect? Spamming you to pimp stuff might bring in revenue to the corporate fatcats. Inconveniencing sim owners cost them nothing. When you consider the priorities of a for profit corporation, LL's inconsideration makes perfect sense.

Jeanne

Summer Seale wrote:

What do you expect? Spamming you to pimp stuff might bring in revenue to the corporate fatcats. Inconveniencing sim owners cost them nothing. When you consider the priorities of a for profit corporation, LL's inconsideration makes perfect sense.

Jeanne

ok, when would you like to receive the email? when you purchase your region? weekly before the roll? how long before the roll? what information should the email contain?

I think that the current assumption is anyone purchasing a region would already be familiar with the current weekly schedule, however, what you are saying is that assumption is incorrect, yes?

is an email the most effective means of clearing up the issue? are there any other alternatives and are they any more or less effective? for instance making the information known before purchase, or making those resources easier to find before hand? are there any other measures that would also help?

I'm not at all sure than emails would help. and with people being scattered across the world, they might not be logged in or even awake at a relevant time.

I think the management of the upgrade to the OS software was badly handled.

I have doubts about the way these notices are displayed in the V2/V3 family of Viewers.

And the Main Channel roll-out is huge, I think it would help if it were split into identifiable blocks. Five hours for the last successful rollout is an awkwardly-sized timeslot for event organisers to plan around.

And, while the original poster does appear to be astonishingly ill-informed, I can't say I'm surprised if the Lab didn't explain this stuff about where to get the warnings. I pay less per month to my ISP, their help system seems pretty inept, but they did send me a stack of printed documents when I signed up with them.

you got documentation from your ISP?

I couldn't even get them to deliver the modem... had to go in and pick it up myself... only found out they have email service for customers by scanning their (very poorly defended) network, and have done more to (successfully) troubleshoot their network problems than they have. and the sad thing is this is actually one of the best services I've had.

Restarts bug me too, because I forget, then rez something not copyable and, Poof, they restart and it's gone. I've lost so much stuff that way. Expensive things, too! I check the grid everyday now, no exeception. It's right on the log in screen. LOOK there. I have to, I build, and builders know what happens during restarts! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.