Lag Spikes...what is the cause?

Ayesha Askham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I put this up as much in the hope of it being shot down as in the hope of getting some sensible answers.  To a degree I'm playing Devil's Advocate and proposing something unlikely (I hope).

We all know that SL has been subject to a worsening TD (lag) situation for a few weeks now.  It comes and goes but seems to worsen with increased concurrency (more folk logged in).

We also used to know that several regions shares a server...is it 4 full regions to a server core or 4 full regions to a quad core server?

Either way a Homestead gets one quarter of that allocation, and Open Sims half again.

Now, those with more than a year of SL behind them will recall the days when the sim stopped for several seconds when an av logged on to a sim or TP'd in.  That was overcome, largely by limiting script-tolerance and improved software.

We recently had a server Operating Sytem upgrade.  Is it possible that there has been an increase in crosstalk between sims on a server or on a core?  Is is possible that when an avatar logs into a sim somewhere or TP's in, other sims on that server or server core lag?  Would that also go some way to explain the atrocious sim border crossings we suffer presently?

If that were to be the case, what would be the cure?  Better software?  Debugged OS?  Or lower script limits?

In my more Macchiavellian moments I wonder if, rather than announce lower limits publically, with all the negative connotations that would have, whether Linden Lab has simply allowed a change in the basic structure of SL to bring about the result they wish to see? Is that too cynical to be true...I hope so.

Are they that smart, Ayesha?

And if you are right, then they now have themselves in a catch-22.   They want to promote sailing and similar activities as part of their marketing we are told, so one or another they have to fix this.

My own view is that this is simply unintended consequences of one, or more, of the many changes they have brought about over the last year or more.  so now we have to drill down, figure out what happened and how it can be fixed.

I think this will take co-operation between the sailing community and the tech people to get the right test data.

Are they that smart, Ayesha?

And if you are right, then they now have themselves in a catch-22.   They want to promote sailing and similar activities as part of their marketing we are told, so one or another they have to fix this.

My own view is that this is simply unintended consequences of one, or more, of the many changes they have brought about over the last year or more.  so now we have to drill down, figure out what happened and how it can be fixed.

I think this will take co-operation between the sailing community and the tech people to get the right test data.

Just putting this in to see what response it gets.

Recent performance issues on Full-region sims appears to be covered by JIRA #SVC-7339 but Maestro Linden was at pains to point out to a couple of posters there that that JIRA was NOT concerned with the "Lag-Spike" issue on Homesteads.

Does anyone know if there is a JIRA specifically related to that phenomenon?  If so I'd like to post to it,'cos this issue is getting on my nerves.

If there isn't one (and there ought to be), I'll start one.

Edit:  Seems to be SVC-7423. 

Also, our sim was restarted to LeTigre from Main Server today...we are one of the lucky ones to actually get back online after yet another painful restart experience.  I wonder if Oskar is bald yet?

Just putting this in to see what response it gets.

Recent performance issues on Full-region sims appears to be covered by JIRA #SVC-7339 but Maestro Linden was at pains to point out to a couple of posters there that that JIRA was NOT concerned with the "Lag-Spike" issue on Homesteads.

Does anyone know if there is a JIRA specifically related to that phenomenon?  If so I'd like to post to it,'cos this issue is getting on my nerves.

If there isn't one (and there ought to be), I'll start one.

Edit:  Seems to be SVC-7423. 

Also, our sim was restarted to LeTigre from Main Server today...we are one of the lucky ones to actually get back online after yet another painful restart experience.  I wonder if Oskar is bald yet?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.