Sign in to follow this  
Tamara Artis

Is it possible to do it without the balls?

ATTACH_ROOT is really only going to affect where an attachment appears relative to the avatar. It will not really change where LSL sees attachments, that is the position it already reports for the old points. At least there will now be a case where the reported position is correct. The new attach point could maybe let you show guide boxes that help the avatars walk to the right place, but it offers nothing to help physics limitations because attachment appearance is all client side.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

ATTACH_ROOT is really only going to affect where an attachment appears relative to the avatar. It will not really change where LSL sees attachments, that is the position it already reports for the old points. At least there will now be a case where the reported position is correct. The new attach point could maybe let you show guide boxes that help the avatars walk to the right place, but it offers nothing to help physics limitations because attachment appearance is all client side.

We've been trying this most recently with some of my business partner's vampire bites.   There's one in particular where she approaches me, the animation starts and she seizes me, bites my neck, I struggle a bit, and then we go to the ground as I swoon, still in her arms, and she straddles me and drinks her fill.    This works fine with poseballs or nPose, and also works fine when called from her hud up to the point where we go to the ground, and then we start sliding all over the place.  

That can't be our bounding boxes, I agree, since they're not moving.   So I'm assuming that it's to do with the fact the two animations, controlled by separate scripts in the same hud, are trying to change our relative positions and rotations while our computers (not the sim) think she's moving.   They want to move me along with her, and that's not supposed to happen, and we've not been able to figure out a way of tweaking my animation to keep me apparently motionless as she moves around.   If that's the case, then I'm hoping that playing the animations from an attachment that our computers think remains static will avoid the problem.   But maybe I've misunderstood the problem, or what ATTACH_ROOT will do, or both.   

All the other potential solutions we've looked at -- playing with the .bvh files -- have certainly run us into problems with bounding boxes and physics as we try to position ourselves before starting the animations.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

We've been trying this most recently with some of my business partner's vampire bites.   There's one in particular where she approaches me, the animation starts and she seizes me, bites my neck, I struggle a bit, and then we go to the ground as I swoon, still in her arms, and she straddles me and drinks her fill.    This works fine with poseballs or nPose, and also works fine when called from her hud up to the point where we go to the ground, and then we start sliding all over the place.  

That can't be our bounding boxes, I agree, since they're not moving.   So I'm assuming that it's to do with the fact the two animations, controlled by separate scripts in the same hud, are trying to change our relative positions and rotations while our computers (not the sim) think she's moving.   They want to move me along with her, and that's not supposed to happen, and we've not been able to figure out a way of tweaking my animation to keep me apparently motionless as she moves around.   If that's the case, then I'm hoping that playing the animations from an attachment that our computers think remains static will avoid the problem.   But maybe I've misunderstood the problem, or what ATTACH_ROOT will do, or both.   

All the other potential solutions we've looked at -- playing with the .bvh files -- have certainly run us into problems with bounding boxes and physics as we try to position ourselves before starting the animations.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Tamara Artis wrote:

But I have another question, how it would look if you just make some object, that looks like a rug for example, and that object becomes invisible when avatars use it, that way it would look like they're on the ground lol

That's really easy to do.. same as poseballs.   A rug  with nPose in could easily be made to vanish when someone sits on it and become visible again when you stand up.

I have a question related to this topic, if you don't mind. Last weekend my bf & I were at a restaurant on a G rated sim. After we ate we went exploring around and found a cave behind a waterfall. In the cave was a rug or mat with pillows and pose balls. The pose balls had very A rated animations. My bf wanted to make use of these but I was nervous because the area was rated G. My question is...: How is it that A animations are in a G rated sim? Do the owners expect them to be found and used, since they are in a "hidden" location like a cave? Or did someone else put them there and the owners dont know about it? Just curious... Thanks.

Jeanne

Innula Zenovka wrote:

The short answer is they shouldn't be there.   They certainly shouldn't be anywhere on a G-rated sim at all and shouldn't be left out somewhere publicly accessible on an M sim, either.

See the

Thanks Innula. I didn't think so. Yet there they were. We just stumbled upon them (or so it seemed - maybe my bf knew they were there). They weren't obvious but they actually had some "naughtier" animations than I've seen in many A rated places. My bf said that someone must've rezzed them there w/out the sim owner's knowledge but that didn't make much sense to me cuz don't the owners usually make it so that no one else can build or rezz objects on their land?

Jeanne

However they got there, you might want to let the land owner know they're there so he or she can remove them and change the land build permissions if necessary, I guess.

You could always focus your cam onto some appropriately crashing surf, and focus your attention on the text (leaving voice aside).  Some imaginative writing on both sides can surpass animation.  I know it's not quite what you were getting at in your question, but it's a tried and tested method and doesn't even require you and your partner to be in the same location :matte-motes-grin:

Um,  hello guys... can I ask this here? I am sick wit ha dumb ole cold and  therefore more confused than normal today and I am not thinking quite right, so.. please excuse any violation! o.O I have asperger's/adhd/processing deficit too, so... I may go into - I can haz a processing deficit- mode at any time.

Anywho... got back on after a year off with a NEW NAME, YAY. Made an animation for a GYN chair with ANIMARE, because I got tired of every oen I bought not quite fitting my D-Who avi.. (yes, you saw that right - I write mostly kid-friendly Doctor W h o Mpreg, therefore I need to do my avi up accordingly so I can use the visual to think out my story  because my brain works like a backwards zipper with missing teeth! o.O)

anyway...

Tried to position my animation in said GYN chair with Learjeff's Sit Positioner. It doesn't want to turn right. Perhaps as that oen person said, within the animation itslef I made the mistake of turning the wrong body part?? all it wants to do is either rotate forward, or rise above the chair, no matter where I put the  Sit Helper... eep? me no scripter yet. But I did take ONE little class last year... about water... something. I'll get it eventually.  Can anyone help me with this, please? i was so excited to make my animation. Then... this happened. total bum out.

...wow. D-Who isn't even permitted to be typed aloud here? that's... a little odd. I don;'t understand THAt, either... ;<

Tried to position my animation in said GYN chair with Learjeff's Sit Positioner. It doesn't want to turn right. Perhaps as that oen person said, within the animation itslef I made the mistake of turning the wrong body part?? all it wants to do is either rotate forward, or rise above the chair, no matter where I put the  Sit Helper... eep? 

I've never known this to fail, and I'm having trouble grasping what you're saying is happening.  

I guess my best suggestion would be to try first with your animation and a regular plywood cube, pretending that the cube is the furniture you really want to animate.  Once you get that working, you'll probably have no trouble with the actual chair.

It's not obvious to me how the animation itself could be a problem.  You do, of course, need to use that animation while using Lear's script to set the sit target, etc., but with the animation playing, moving the sit helper around should put the avatar wherever you want it.

(There is actually another way to get the same results as with Lear's scripts, without using a specially-scripted helper prim and essentially running the geometry calculations backwards, but I don't think that would help with this case.)