Sign in to follow this  
Spike Clemenceau

The garlic protocol

This seems to be an ongoing issue among active members in the Bloodlines community, some people actively handout and recommend new users to use the Garlic necklace, others don't and hate it with fiery passion.

In my own personal case, I encouraged my SL son to use it until he decided what path to take in our family and it was for him to NOT panic when it came to accepting animations (I still do with new members who are unsure what to do)

Forcing Active members to use garlic however so they get to stay somewhere, I'll always find wrong. But what is your input on the garlic necklace? are you oppossed to its general use or do you encourage it? why?

I find it unacceptable for anything to be forced upon a person when it isn't harming anyone.  The use or lack of use of a garlic neclace is a personal decision and I would use my vote by walking away from a SIM that requires it.

In fact I remember being a new person in SL and having to get one for some reason.  I didn't even know what it was for and just took and wore it and forgot about it.  When I made the decision to turn to a vampire it made what should have been a special event a nightmere because I couldn't find it. 

Yeah, I had a friend who was visiting a SIM (he was not even hunting, just exploring) and someone told him straight that he had to wear the garlic necklace or leave the sim (apparently the sim owner had an alt account with the HUD to scan all incoming people and bloodlines users), that's just unnaceptable

I am confused by the question.  Why would a vampire clan force its clan members to activate the garlic necklace?  What would they be gaining?  I was under the impression that the necklace was for people who did NOT want to play and did NOT get bite requests.  What is the reasoning behind having active players use it?

No no, in our own personal case we recommend non clan members or people who are wondering (as we are a SL destination), of the possibility that the garlic necklace is there and is a tool, but we obviously don't recommend active users to wear garlic that negates the purpose of having the HUD in the first place and my point exactly, I am in fact agaisnt that, but there are some non bloodlines users who force others to use it while on their sim.

Okay, I'm confused too, but I think I get it. Is this right? If an Active member (I take your meaning to be an active bloodlines vampire) wears the garlic necklace, that person's vampire abilities/HUD/whatever are negated?

Do some sim owners require all visitors to wear the necklace  for the purpose of 'de-activating' vampirism on their sim? Is that what  your question is about—whether or not such a practice is right or wrong?

Well then this is kind of like asking whether a sim owner can arbitrarily ban me? The answer is yes, of course. That's what you get when you pay the tier. Your choice of who and what you'll allow.

People,

I Understand and respect every opinion...but i have to say, this "bites" does not change the life of person...the avatar does not lose...soul, blood, nothing this exist in second life...this is a part of HUD game...I'm a developer of one HUD too, and have this kind of currencies...

In my Game, for example, have a Blessing Potion(free)...People drink, and automatically is impossible to receive bites...but in my game, we do not harassing people with messages, dialogs, bites marks...but, i repeat, this bites don't change the avatar, and people don't lose anything... 

If have some question, i'm here to answer

While I think that it's a bit much to ask bloodline players to use the garlic, I'm sure it's a reaction to complaints.  It would not be necessary if bloodline players didn't act in a harassing manner to everyone they encounter. 

I understand all that. My point was that sim owners by definition make their own rules (within the allowable options). There are sims or clubs which don't allow furries, or so I've been told. That seems pretty silly but it is the sim owner's option.

Yes, Sim Owner have rights to decide whats works in his Sims...yes, I agree...I just talk, for people do not have miss understanding whats happen in vampire World...is a simple game, just this...but of course, if people do not want this in his Sims, they have this right...

It was interesting what you said about the Garlic Tool.  How many tools are there in the vampire community?  And what uses are they put to?

As so there are in the non-vampire community (RLV for example or Magic HUDS and that's just off the top of my head -and yeah, some spells don't require the other avatar's consent, which turns them into weapons)

Any tool used wrongly can become a weapon

Spike Clemenceau wrote:

As so there are in the non-vampire community (RLV for example or Magic HUDS and that's just off the top of my head -and yeah, some spells don't require the other avatar's consent, which turns them into weapons)

Any tool used wrongly can become a weapon

Really?  You wouldn't seriously use yours or anyone else's tool as a weapon would you?  I thought LL took a dim view about people using their tools in such a manner?

I always tell people, newbie or seasoned players, its all up to them to do whatever they want. Just explain the whole concept, why and how and once they understand it, they decide if its necessary to use or not. Usually if they can understand how the game works, the garlic necklace is not necessary at all. No one can force something on to them. And this is SL, you cant really force something to someone without them giving any consent. Well unless you're on some kind of RLV. :P

Sammantha Koppel wrote:

It would not be necessary if bloodline players didn't act in a harassing manner to everyone they encounter. 

Precisely. This is why on some parts of the grid the term "spampire" is used. I know that there are good, honorable, Bloodlines players--I've met them, I know they're out there. But I've met far more annoying, irritating "players" who treat the bite offer as the sum of all roleplay--as if getting a single bite request, and saying yes or no, stands in for paragraphs of exposition and dialogue.

I wouldn't mind so much if everyone in Bloodlines RP actually roleplayed, but many don't, and they don't seem to care to learn. Because of this, I'd have to say I'm absolutely in favor of sim owners protecting themselves however they see fit--by banning, blocking, or making requests. After all, Bloodlines members can always leave the sim, it's not as if the sim owner can actively force anyone to wear anything they don't agree to wear.

Sammantha Koppel wrote:

It would not be necessary if bloodline players didn't act in a harassing manner to everyone they encounter. 

Precisely. This is why on some parts of the grid the term "spampire" is used. I know that there are good, honorable, Bloodlines players--I've met them, I know they're out there. But I've met far more annoying, irritating "players" who treat the bite offer as the sum of all roleplay--as if getting a single bite request, and saying yes or no, stands in for paragraphs of exposition and dialogue.

I wouldn't mind so much if everyone in Bloodlines RP actually roleplayed, but many don't, and they don't seem to care to learn. Because of this, I'd have to say I'm absolutely in favor of sim owners protecting themselves however they see fit--by banning, blocking, or making requests. After all, Bloodlines members can always leave the sim, it's not as if the sim owner can actively force anyone to wear anything they don't agree to wear.

I don;t hand out necklaces like candy but I do engage in discussions with newbies, and answer questions about Bloodlines, if they decide Bloodlines isn't for them I encourage them to get a neckalace

I don;t hand out necklaces like candy but I do engage in discussions with newbies, and answer questions about Bloodlines, if they decide Bloodlines isn't for them I encourage them to get a neckalace

I agree that sim owners can ban who they like, but that's not the question -- no dispute that I can be as unreasonable and obnoxious as I want, within ToS, on my own sim, but the OP, as I understand it, is asking whether it's unreasonable and obnoxious of a sim owner to insist Bloodlines players use garlic necklaces while visiting, presumably to ensure they can't possibly make a nuisance of themselves with unsolicited bite requests.

To my mind, that really is a pretty unreasonable requirement.   I trust people visiting my sims to behave responsibly and not make a nuisance of themselves, be it by pestering strangers for money, sex, to be allowed to bite them or anything else.   By and large, people do behave sensibly.   If they behave like jerks and I get complaints, I ban them -- end of problem.  I don't see what else is necessary, unless the sim owner is deliberately trying to make the point he or she doesn't  particularly want Bloodlines players on the sim.   

I'm not into vampire RP, but if I were I'd be very annoyed at the implication I couldn't be trusted to behave myself when visiting other people's lands.

I agree that sim owners can ban who they like, but that's not the question -- no dispute that I can be as unreasonable and obnoxious as I want, within ToS, on my own sim, but the OP, as I understand it, is asking whether it's unreasonable and obnoxious of a sim owner to insist Bloodlines players use garlic necklaces while visiting, presumably to ensure they can't possibly make a nuisance of themselves with unsolicited bite requests.

To my mind, that really is a pretty unreasonable requirement.   I trust people visiting my sims to behave responsibly and not make a nuisance of themselves, be it by pestering strangers for money, sex, to be allowed to bite them or anything else.   By and large, people do behave sensibly.   If they behave like jerks and I get complaints, I ban them -- end of problem.  I don't see what else is necessary, unless the sim owner is deliberately trying to make the point he or she doesn't  particularly want Bloodlines players on the sim.   

I'm not into vampire RP, but if I were I'd be very annoyed at the implication I couldn't be trusted to behave myself when visiting other people's lands.