Sex and Vampirism

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I do not claim to be an expert on vampire lore and stories, but as far as I know, for instance, sensuality in Count Dracula's story was hinted most indirectly - the Victorian era, lol.  That tho, added to its dark haze of allure and mystery. 

What I love about the BL game is that  everyone can hue it their own way.  A clan for sex isn't my cup of tea -  there are countless other places to get it anyways, but whatever rocks one's boat, right?  Sex is one of the  major motives for ...anything ... Like money and gaining high status - all 3 sometimes connected. Sex, however isn't the main rp focus within the vampire myth, in Gor it may well be.

And yes, perhaps that personal charm to bite someone, as well as the bites themselves may be spiced up a bit  - but to me, exchanging a soul for sex is way different and a bit like covered up prostitution.  I prefer things clearer - if one loves having tons of sex, have tons of it for the sheer tons of pleasure! I equally respect declared prostitution in the open and honestly, like in an sl brothel.  (First clan I ever happen to stumble upon had a strip club as its main meeting place and focus - not my cup of tea again, but I respected them for being clear and honest about it.) 

And as it has been said above, minions aquired in exchange for sex  and nothing more to make them stay after that, will rarely continue to play Bloodlines.  Selling a product with fake promises will end up losing the customer ...even the sucker xD.

Quote:

exchanging a soul for sex is way different and a bit like covered up prostitution.  I prefer things clearer - if one loves having tons of sex, have tons of it for the sheer tons of pleasure! I equally respect declared prostitution in the open and honestly, like in an sl brothel.  (First clan I ever happen to stumble upon had a strip club as its main meeting place and focus - not my cup of tea again, but I respected them for being clear and honest about it.) 

And as it has been said above, minions aquired in exchange for sex  and nothing more to make them stay after that, will rarely continue to play Bloodlines.  Selling a product with fake promises will end up losing the customer ...even the sucker
xD

Yup, I think so too. Good point!

Blood is the source of the curse and the power of a vampire. He feeds himself with blood, plays with blood, gets his power with blood. It doesn't seem difficult for him to manipulate his own blood pressure to have sex.

Attractiveness and sensuality are some basis of the vampire influence on others. The vampire seduces, charms and embrace. He actually needs that to bite, bleed and condemn someone to a cursed undeath without being spotted by the mortal law enforcement. But it's more instinctive than willingly. It's deprived of twisted mind constructs as feelings, so there's no love, fidelity, monogamy, jaleousy.

There are a few vampires from the dark ages, turned before the inquisition and the masquerade, who still hunt as brainless beasts, they like to taste the fear in their preys' blood, to bite in the most painful way and are sending many souls in limbos. But these ones are exceptions disapproved and hunted by the modern vampire community.

Vampirism can't be restrained to eroticism, but as desire and sex are leading the big part of the life, they are leading the big part of the death too.

• 2 weeks later...

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Considering the popularity of -- for example --
Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series
, in which life (undeath, rather) seems to be pretty much one long orgy, at least if you hang out with the right sort of vampire, I'm always rather suprised more isn't made of this in SL, I have to say.    And certainly there's a whole D/s aspect to vampirism that doesn't seem as widely explored in SL as one might expect (or maybe it is, and I'm not aware of it).

It's funny you mention that series, cause I used to be a disciple of it until Laurell became completely unable to formulate a plot that was not predicated almost entirely upon the Ardeur. And now it is as you say, one big orgy for its own sake.

The story jumped the shark pretty much right after Obsidian Butterfly, which I think the next book was Narcissus in Chains and longtime fans such as myself are pretty much the worse for it. The reviews section of amazon.com for her series is made up now almost 100% of longtime fans snarking on every aspect of the current concept. It's funny, but also sucks that such a great series went out this way.

And the Meredith Gentry series went right behind it, although that one was pretty much a sechsfest from book one or two.

I wholly agree.    As you say, somewhere around Obsidian Butterfly she lost the plot (or, rather, seemed to lose interest in plotting).   I get the impression she's signed a rather too arduous contract with her publishers about how frequently she needs to deliver new manuscripts, so a good way to fill in the time while she figures out what to do next is to have the ardeur strike and that's another ten pages or so accounted for.   

Which is OK, but not every thirty or forty pages.   

Shame, cos I really enjoyed the earlier ones.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I wholly agree.    As you say, somewhere around Obsidian Butterfly she lost the plot (or, rather, seemed to lose interest in plotting).   I get the impression she's signed a rather too arduous contract with her publishers about how frequently she needs to deliver new manuscripts, so a good way to fill in the time while she figures out what to do next is to have the ardeur strike and that's another ten pages or so accounted for.   

Which is OK, but not every thirty or forty pages.   

Shame, cos I really enjoyed the earlier ones.

Ya, that's the going theory. And it's pretty much backed up by her blog, in which she can constantly be found pontificating about her relationships and how "in-demand" she is what with the 18 books she's trying to finish all at once and going on about the TV show/movie deal that got dropped like it was hot a few years ago. The quantity of series titles she's trying to write at once is making all the series suffer.

Plus there's just the deus ex machina quality of the ardeur and the fact that it is obviously a device that keeps her from having to do what she's needed to do for the last probably 5 books to keep the series relevant and manageable. Which of course is to kill off at least 4 or 5 characters. Maybe more. Edward has lost enough teeth to where he's really useless now, Olab is too creepy and weird to be a continuing love interest, the Leopard pard is a bunch of sniveling crybabies who are far too dependent and needy to add much more to the plot and from what I understand, she's added half a dozen Lion weres and several more vamps within the last three books. It's ridiculous. And Richard needs to go too despite me liking him more than Jean-Claude, although I understood why JC could not disappear. Yet now even he's playing the background.

I officially stopped buying at Skin Trade. After Danse Macabre I had to give her one more chance to make good, and she flubbed it. Shark not only jumped, but vaulted in spectacular fashion with a mid-air pike for form.

There is no doubt (at least in my experience) that it is far more thrilling to seduce a victim than to attack or trick them.  Hence an "innocent"  flirtation leads eventually (hopefully) to a very exciting act of turning and yes *gasp* sex.  It can be very intense and erotic.  I never have been into clans much but have enjoyed these types of turnings. 

Delight Rang wrote:

There is no doubt (at least in my experience) that it is far more thrilling to seduce a victim than to attack or trick them.  Hence an "innocent"  flirtation leads eventually (hopefully) to a very exciting act of turning and yes *gasp* sex.  It can be very intense and erotic.  I never have been into clans much but have enjoyed these types of turnings. 

Hmmm. I agree. And have to add that feeding multiple vampires would be my ultimate vampire fantasy. There was a scene in True Blood where a dancer was lured into the back of a limo by Bill where he, Nan, Russell and perhaps even one more vamp were waiting. After Bill bit her and the effect kicked in, she lay back while all of them joined in. Between the dazed look in her eyes, the shallow breathing and moaning, and eventual screaming, I found myself a bit too aroused to keep my dignity.It also happened while watching the girl get drained in the hotel room by Valek in John Carpenter's Vampires.

Same thing happens every time I see a scene like this (usually with one each at the neck, wrist, and especially one biting dangerously high on the inner thigh). I don't even have to deliberately replace the victims with myself in my mind. I replace her automatically! :matte-motes-shocked:

RudolphUkka wrote:

I am usually on for a foursome, but how do you feel about incest?

Rudi

ETA No, not golf!

Oh wow, lol. Uhh that never really crosses my mind actually. Although it might have a lot to do with me and my RL sis telling our brothers they look like Eeyores all the time, haha! Sort of torpedoes the whole concept!

I'm a really big Anne Boleyn fan though and during those times there was a lot of that going on in the monarchies. It's actually one of the accusations made against her by King Henry VIII that led to her beheading. That she was sleeping with her brother. The part where that was sexy never translated for me however...

Kascha Matova wrote:

RudolphUkka wrote:

I am usually on for a foursome, but how do you feel about incest?

Rudi

ETA No, not golf!

Oh wow, lol. Uhh that never really crosses my mind actually. Although it might have a lot to do with me and my RL sis telling our brothers they look like Eeyores all the time, haha! Sort of torpedoes the whole concept!

I'm a really big Anne Boleyn fan though and during those times there was a lot of that going on in the monarchies. It's actually one of the accusations made against her by King Henry VIII that led to her beheading. That she was sleeping with her brother. The part where that was sexy never translated for me however...

I am not interested in your brothers, but would your sis be up for it?

Rudi

• 1 month later...

Over the course of many years, being an owner of an RL business, I've developed a Principle, a Saying:

"If it's worth buying, it doesn't need to be 'sold' ".

Using sex, usually shallow & merely in passing, in order to get what you want, is tantamount to the concept of "prostituting" oneself, making oneself both a "whore" & a "schill". The rush of a new meeting, then the momentary glow of Release with an unknown stranger, with nothing to follow, makes for a very sad, empty depressing way to acquire & stepping up the "ladder". Its a cold, lonely path & I don't recommend it.

The "victims" are left empty, lonely, cold, cynical & bitter. Personally, I'd much rather have 1 friend than a 1000 "users".

I speak for myself when I say, leave "sex" out of everything, maintain your clarity of vision; then, if whatever relationship manages to blossom & may include intimacy, the definition of "sex" takes on an entirely new meaning.

Synthya Wylder, Genesis Order Horde Scribe

To be fair, I think the blame for an awful lot of vampy bad-behaviour lies with Bloodlines itself. If there were no pyramid scheme making members desperate to collect souls, there would be far fewer vamps hunting in clubs seducing strangers. Vamps have to offer something to potential minions to convince them to join a clan, and while genuine friendship and quality RP are probably the ideals, I imagine sex is just simpler. :}

The only way I would RP vampirism these days is if it had absolutely nothing to do with BL.

• 3 months later...

As a vampire queen, I have to kinda giggle and shake my head at some of the posts. While some were on point, and some, though outrageous were simply honest. There are as many varieties to vamps as there are people in SL...

Nasty, filthy, evil creatures. That's what vampires are. They only look beautiful on the outside, but their intentions are terribly dishonorable. They swoop down on us from the dark, they grasp us in their unbreakable grip, they suck out our blood. Sometimes they seduce us into having sex with them. Really great sex. Sometimes they even make us into one of them.

Awful. No wonder we hate and fear and despise them.

Hmm. They have inhumanly spectacular sex with us. They convert us into beautiful, seductive immortal beings. Doesn't really sound all that bad, does it?

Oh, right, we hate them. Fear them. Despise them, the nasty, filthy, evil creatures.

Sort of.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.