Sex and Vampirism

Spike Clemenceau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wonder what are people's opinions on "selling" vampirism or joining a clan on the sex angle. I know there is a lot of erotica related to Vampirism so it seems like a logical association, but how "right" is it use sex as an approach when trying to get new members (not naming names, but I know one or two clans that do use sex as a "marketing" strategy)

Sex sells period. It is used to sell soft drinks, candy, gum and everything from cars to clothes to movies.

Vampirism is very erotic. It always has been. From the earliest stories of young maidens being taken as prey to the modern teen romances of current pop vampires.

Considering the popularity of -- for example -- Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series, in which life (undeath, rather) seems to be pretty much one long orgy, at least if you hang out with the right sort of vampire, I'm always rather suprised more isn't made of this in SL, I have to say.    And certainly there's a whole D/s aspect to vampirism that doesn't seem as widely explored in SL as one might expect (or maybe it is, and I'm not aware of it).

Yeah there are a couple of clans (the most popular ones I may add) that are basically centered on sex and all of its areas. I have to admit it is also very well organised, but there are clan communities that rather stay away from the sex angle and make a slow but steady growth. I am not agaisnt sex used as a marketing strategy (not how I'd do things tho for let's say my vampire/lycan family, but I do have a shop in-world and most of the hot selling clothes items are on some level used for sex or hint it), but I was curious to hear people's opinon on this when it comes to let's say, getting new members

Spike Clemenceau wrote:

Like I said, if it's all you got to offer as a community? what else do you offer past the orgasm?

Cup of tea and a cookie usually sees me through the refractory period in both SL and RL.  Coincidentally that is exactly what the blood donor service give you in the UK after donating.  Any connection?  Enquiring minds wish to know.

A friend of mine used to RP on one of the very successful pre-Bloodlines vampire sims, as a victim rather than as a vampire, because she really enjoyed the CARP element of it (as, or so I understand it, did a lot of other victims).    Not that I know that much about the vampire scene, but certainly everyone there seemed to be enjoying the open-ended RP, and developing their own storylines.    Some poople enjoyed hanging out there being chased and ravished by vampires, and some got turned and became leading characters in the clan and some drifted in and out, and they all seemed to be having a lot of fun.

Hello to all. I think, a real vampire uses sex as a weapon of seduction for getting his food. In this world, its like an ingredient, added to the roles, but in any case, its not only an expression of the human nature. Its also a form of social relationships within the different clans, but i think, the clanleaders are going wrong if they mix up or relate the two concepts, because finally those ones, who are not really feeling like vampires, and who are only interested in sex, will find another community with much more satisfaction.

Neuntoter Davidov wrote:

Hello to all. I think,
a real vampire
uses sex as a weapon of seduction for getting his food. In this world, its like an ingredient, added to the roles, but in any case, its not only an expression of the human nature. Its also a form of social relationships within the different clans, but i think, the clanleaders are going wrong if they mix up or relate the two concepts, because finally those ones, who are not really feeling like vampires, and who are only interested in sex, will find another community with much more satisfaction.

Come again?

I think that sex is one of the reasons that people want to imagine themselves as vampires. Vampires are sexy, they're powerful, and they live forever. It doesn't necessarily have to be about having sex, it can just be about being or feeling sexy. That's also something that draws people to Second Life in general, I think, for people to re-imagine themselves as something different, and pretty much everyone re-imagines themselves as being sexier. Not just sexier looking, but sexier in every way: more confident, more relaxed, and with other desirable qualities. I think that's a reason that Second Life residents are drawn to roleplaying vampires.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.