What's the attraction of child vampire avatars and RP?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

(originally posted to another forum in error)

I sometimes run into them on vampire sims when I'm there as the hired help, trying to assist in setting up drawbridges and so on, and I have to say I find the concept a bit creepy -- not least because the backstory has to involve children getting murdered to satisfy someone's appetite.    But I am told it's quite a popular form of RP.   Can anyone explain the attractions?

I find it a bit creepy myself. Even tho our clan laws have recently undergoing changes to allow child adoptions and families to be contemplated on our social gatherings, turning youngsters have always been a big no no for us. I know second life is do what you can't in RL, but turning child avatars "feels" wrong somehow, no matter how hardcore vampire you brag to be.

I think Claudia was on of the most interesting characters from The Vampire Chronicles. She was a child that was doomed to die and was rescued by a compassionate monster. She used her innocence to murder her victims and was raised by monsters and eventually murdered again by them. 

So perhaps the allure is the fallacy of innocence and how it can be used to deceive. Also, it may be that it is a way to pretend to be an innocent and somehow not be responsible for otherwise inexcusable atrocities, such as murdering people who are only trying to help you and then sucking the life out of them. 

It should be noted though, that Claudia grew to resent the fact that she was made immortal because she never gets the opportunity to age and become a woman.

From Claudia, The Vampire Chronicles (Wikipedia)

Claudia was a young girl who lived in the poor, plague-ravaged quarters of 18th century New Orleans. She lost both of her parents to the plague, and is first introduced as a crying child of five or six years old in her house, next to her mother's dead body. She is small and delicately shaped, with golden ringlets for hair and pale skin. She is found by Louis de Pointe du Lac, the protagonist of Interview with the Vampire, and begs him to “wake” her mother. Louis instead feeds on her, much to his self-disgust, and her life is temporarily saved by Lestat de Lioncourt, Louis' maker.

Claudia is taken to the vampires' townhouse in the heart of New Orleans, and there she is turned into a vampire by Lestat. Lestat tells her that she is his and Louis' “daughter” and that now that she is in their family, Louis can not leave them. Though Louis is at first horrified at the thought of a vampire child (and indeed he accuses Lestat of condemning Claudia to hell), he and Claudia become very attached, and the three form a vampiric “family” for decades.

Although the three vampires spend many years in happiness, Claudia begins to grow more and more detached, insisting on self-sufficiency and even gaining her own coffin so that she does not have to sleep with either Lestat or Louis during the daylight hours. Claudia becomes self-educated and philosophical under Louis' tutelage and also an indiscriminate murderer under Lestat's guidance. She would “appear to her victims as a little angel” and lure them to their deaths.

Interesting point... I remember that during my early SL Vampire days I decided to go for a twink skin (and the shape I have now, which I havent changed since I de-noobed) and a very light emoish blonde hair, and I the idea of looking innocent while "hunting" was alluring, so it must be that added to the popularity of the Claudia character.

I did decide to go for the adult look when I became a SL father tho and it does "feel" best for me at the present time, but I can see how people would like to emulate in RP the Claudia story

well a lot of people like the rp simply 'because' it's creepy.

I know that while I don't rp child vampires or even regular children, the prospect of an innocent looking creature really turning out to be some vicious monster is the most baseline deceptive role a vampire player could take.

they get away with a lot more an tend to be the most twisted an interesting characters one could play.

I still wouldn't play one simply because I have my evenings my character leans more towards sensual play, an that's just a part of who I am as a player. I would never want anything like that to come through with a child avatar, so I forgo it alltogether. but the story that could be made with a child vampire is really quite fun an interesting on a 'story' sense. but we all got to keep in mind that it's simply a story, an those people that don't want to be involved with it can simply walk away from it *shrugs*

I honestly think that if done well, it can be very entertaining. just depends on how the character is taken an played out.

Hi, I play a vampire/neko/child avi. I approached my liege because she was a child avi as well and I hadn't found any others (up until then) that were. I was curious about the appeal of playing a vampire, but I wanted to fit it in to my already being a child avi.

As far as the creepiness goes, it's like anything else in bloodlines: you can see it as creepy, or not, depending on your point of view. (eg Vampire+human sex is essentially necrophilia, if you think about it for a moment).

In my experience the RP surrounding "turning" has never involved killing and eating the human child. It's usually something along the lines of the human wanting to be turned so that they can join us too for whatever reason (the power, the familial bond, whatever) Of course that's assuming it's RP'd and isn't simply "hey join our clan lolz". Often it will be that the child will have been adopted into a vampire family and decides they want to be turned so they can match their "parents", and every family I've met with vampire parents/human kids has always stressed to the kids that it's perfectly ok for them to stay human if that's what they want.

So, really, I think in RP terms the attraction is having neat powers, being super strong and doing neat stuff, belonging to a larger group.

To me, none whatsoever.

I consider this a mature level game - and vampire sims as mature sims.  Often, although of course not always, kid avis wish to do baby rp and talk baby talk, or ask nappies changed and act spoilt.  I honestly can't see this fit vampire rp or practices.  I have a hard time seeing a kid in a vampire club where there may be dance poles and maybe a bit of teasing. Lines are hard to draw, any sensual rp in front of a kid avi is against the TOS, I believe, and many bite animations are extremely sensual. Occasional mature content may be present both on a sim and on a group chat.

In addition, I have a hard time combining the idea of biting a kid avi. A friend on a kid avi and her guardian once asked me to bite her and take her soul, which was in the abyss.  It was the worst bite in my vampire life and I would never do it again. Although it was not me who had turned her and I had no doubt she was an adult rl, I regret that bite to this day. No rl feelings or any rp matched - in fact they were totally alien.  This is the one thing in my vampire life I am not proud of, although I am still honoured she trusted me with her precious soul.

Regarding the argument concerning the vampire girl in "Interview with a Vampire", ....she struck me like a wise adult in small size and not like a child, not even a teenager. As for the part where she slept in the men's coffins during the day, this is a part that would definitely end up in a permanent ban on sl if it took place, I am sure, if reported... lol... No?

Innula Zenovka wrote:

(originally posted to another forum in error)

I sometimes run into them on vampire sims when I'm there as the hired help, trying to assist in setting up drawbridges and so on, and I have to say I find the concept a bit creepy -- not least because the backstory has to involve children getting murdered to satisfy someone's appetite.    But I am told it's quite a popular form of RP.   Can anyone explain the attractions?

You could just have easily asked what's the attraction of a child avatar and RP.  In which case, if you're not attracted to it, how could you ever really understand?

All I'm saying is, to find out, why not try it for yourself?  If you like it then great... if you don't, then I guess that leaves you in the same position that you were in to begin with.  If you refuse to even try, then you're obviously not really interested in finding out, which would call into question why you felt you had to pose this question in the first place.

Regardless, I will say that the most effective vampire I've ever come across, in SL, was in the form of a little boy.  He gave me the creeps like no other adult vampire ever could.  He had glowing eyes and hovered, coldly, in a spooky mist... his avatar was one of the best I'd ever seen up until then.  He asked me to consider joining his clan and I was honestly looking for a clan at the time.  But he freaked me out so much that I refused to go with him to meet his queen.

Rarely does an avatar in SL effect me in such a way... if I remembered who he was now, I'd thank him vehemently for achieving such a reaction.  I only wish I could be so memorable.

...Dres

• 2 years later...

Not all SL child vampires are like that going around bitting strangers and acting like Claudia in the film Interviwe with a vampire she was a nasty kid but I'm one myself and I dontn bite strangers only fellow clan mebers and I don't sleep in a coffin but I have a Disney Theames room

tifa Lorgsval wrote:

Not all SL child vampires are like that going around bitting strangers and acting like Claudia in the film Interviwe with a vampire she was a nasty kid but I'm one myself and I dontn bite strangers only fellow clan mebers and I don't sleep in a coffin
but I have a Disney Theames room

Let me guess, you also sparkle in sun light?

And yes, Claudia was a nasty child, but at least the character had reasons for that.

Also, this thread is from 2011. Please let old garbage like that remain in its grave.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.