What is your favorite Vampire Lore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you roleplay or even if you are just a fan of vampires and vampire lore..what is your favorite lore.  Are you a tried and true 'dracula' fan?  Maybe you prefer the RPG gaming formats such as White Wolf's World of Darkness?  Maybe Ann Rice novels?   Could be you are a new 'vampire' fan and you like the Twilight vampires..

Let me know what is your favorite and feel free to ask me any questions about vampire lore either in general or what Ravenhurst draws from for their vampire character types!

Ravenhurst has a history with VTM and we do use bits and pieces from VTM for our character types!  Many of our players were long time WOD players!

I do believe there is twilight fans out there, for the vampire lore, they just feel pushed into keeping quite about being so :) 

Tai

Hi Caitlin!

My bad, using terminology that hard core players use: 

Lore means - type of fictional history, such a Count Dracula, or Ann Rice novels.  This is how they determine their vampires are..that is lore

VTM is Vampire the Masquerade which is a Role playing Game distributed by White wolf, though it's been out of 'print' for a long while

WOD is - World  of Darkness - that is also by White Wolf and it encompasses their entire supernatural RPG's (role playing Games)

Great questions!

I'm not sure I have a specific favorite! I just love it all, really. Everything from Stoker's Dracula to, yes, Twilight. Twilight is kind of a joke, yes. The whole teenage romance thing is a bit over the top, however there is some really cool lore in those novels that I hadn't really seen in other books. Specifically the half-vampires that came in the end, the cool gift that was unique to each vampire individual, and the city of vampires in Italy. Could do without the Adonis sparkle-pires, though. 

The wolf lore was pretty cool in Twilight to. Just sayin'.

I can say I gear a lot towards Anne Rice's vampires. I really did love the vampire tales - my most favorite being Pandora and her story. I liked the setting of it and its earmark in history. I love how Anne Rice describes her vampires about how they look and how they think. I also love the back story about how vampires came about with the Egyptians. Cool stuff.

Hi there,

I RP a vampire character in the sim Dravendore.  My character is based off of Vampire: the Masquerade.  After much studying and reading about the different clans within VtM, I chose Toreador for her as I felt that clan identified more with my own personal interests (the arts, music, writing), leading me to RP her more easily.  On the other hand, though, when describing her attitudes and personal qualities, I think she is a female version of Lestat, from Anne Rice's "Interview with a Vampire".  I have a lot of fun playing that angle; that sharp, sarcastic, self-centered, elegant and sophisticated yet thoroughly rotten individual.

Thanks for the great topic!  Hopefully this thread will move away from the snarky, tongue-in-cheek, general douchebaggery type of comments that has ruined so many of the other threads in this sub-forum.

There are so many really good vampires stories out there, so it's a bit hard to just pick one.  I am an avid reader so. of course, Ann Rice has some amazing spins.  JR Ward has an interesting take on vampires - no turning of humans, a set spiritual code and diety, a 'bad guy' society (it is a bit too urban for my taste, but interesting)  The original Dracula is a good read.  As far as TV/Movies - Underworld is a nice story (I still like reading better than movies though), I have never seen Buffy or True Blood, but they seem to be quite popular.  I did read the Twilight series (I have 3 teenage daughters) it has a few good side stories that could have played out with a little more background to make the story even better (sorry, but the movies really suck).  There are so many different stories out there, it makes rp'ing difficult until you know what the group you're rp'ing with is using as inspiration.

I like the lore that's a bit 'off'. Modern wise- I enjoyed Peeps and how it was a virus.

Dracula of course. Carmilla also. Those are really more of a Northern thing.

Asian 'vampires' are rather awesome. Going slowly by sensing your breath and looking like a rotted corspe.

Along with another vampire. A woman who spilts herself in half and the top half flies around.

Twilight makes me hate many things. If you're going to change the legends have at least a reason behind it. Instead of 'he's prettier this way'.

I like the lore that's a bit 'off'. Modern wise- I enjoyed Peeps and how it was a virus.

Dracula of course. Carmilla also. Those are really more of a Northern thing.

Asian 'vampires' are rather awesome. Going slowly by sensing your breath and looking like a rotted corspe.

Along with another vampire. A woman who spilts herself in half and the top half flies around.

Twilight makes me hate many things. If you're going to change the legends have at least a reason behind it. Instead of 'he's prettier this way'.

There are a number of different lores out there. You have the VTM, Twilight, True Blood, Anne Rice, Dracula..but then you have Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's Saint-Germaine series and Brian Lumley's Necroscope series.  If you want a good overview of different vampire types, read Anno Dracula by Kim Newman. He incorporates a number of different fictional vampires into the book including Lord Ruthven, Varney the Vampire, Count Orlock and there is even a mention of the upstart Barnabas Collins visiting from America. You have the Chinese hopping vampire and the variety that changes to butterflies as well. (A class on horror literature helped a lot here)

There are a number of different lores out there. You have the VTM, Twilight, True Blood, Anne Rice, Dracula..but then you have Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's Saint-Germaine series and Brian Lumley's Necroscope series.  If you want a good overview of different vampire types, read Anno Dracula by Kim Newman. He incorporates a number of different fictional vampires into the book including Lord Ruthven, Varney the Vampire, Count Orlock and there is even a mention of the upstart Barnabas Collins visiting from America. You have the Chinese hopping vampire and the variety that changes to butterflies as well. (A class on horror literature helped a lot here)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.