How do you determine what items to resend and which not to?

MaverickJustice Diavolo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had a customer buy an item from me through the marketplace that was no copy / mod / trans. I received the standard email verifications and such for the purchase including the transaction report. Also, my marketplace info has marked this sale as delivered. The person contacted me 13 hours after the purchase and said the they Did receive the item but then crashed and no longer has the item in their inventory. They want a replacement. What are your thoughts on this? My feeling is that they are either just trying to get a free copy for a friend, or maybe they modified it in a way that they can't get back together and just want to replace it. I'm confident that I don't owe them another copy. But, should I give them one anyway for the sake of friendly business?

Thank you Anne! Always respect your advice! My tendency was toward a free copy. My concern is that I'm too much of a pushover for things like this and wanted to see how others handle it to be sure I'm being fair to me too! I agree the simplest solution is best. I could end up arguing far longer than the couple of hundred $L are worth!

I would resend it ONCE. In person, so you know you're in the same sim and nothing should go wrong. After that, no more.

If they happen to have modified it and goofed, and can't fix it, you can always request that they send the damaged item back. That way, you know they're not just collecting extra copies - you have the "broken" one in your own inventory before you send a new copy. I've seen many merchants who do things this way. I know one furniture merchant who states this in their store policy.

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

I would resend it ONCE. In person, so you know you're in the same sim and nothing should go wrong. After that, no more.

If they happen to have modified it and goofed, and can't fix it, you can always request that they send the damaged item back. That way, you know they're not just collecting extra copies - you have the "broken" one in your own inventory before you send a new copy. I've seen many merchants who do things this way. I know one furniture merchant who states this in their store policy.

I think that's a great idea Ariel! I also agree that sending the item again would be ok, likely one time. If you notice if people continue to ask for items again and again (and trust me, you'll notice if it happens), then politely explain that unfortunately, as the item is no copy, and they've already asked for a replacement, they're not eligible for another one. Its polite, to the point, and lets them know that, while you're nice, you're not a complete pushover. :D Good luck!

I agree, send them another copy. 

I also send them a note recapping the details including any information they may have sent.   I keep a copy of this note for myself including the customer name & date in the title so that it is easy for me to search for it if I need to.  I also put a short note on their profile so that I can cross reference.

I just send another copy ASAP, but then all my products are copy/mod, partly for this reason. Even if they weren't, I'd err on the side of good PR, as others have suggested.

I also made a product info/registration script to include in boxes, that (among other things) emails me the first time it's rezzed, so I actually know it's been received. This has turned out to be incredibly useful for this and other support purposes - eg i can just search a customer's name in my gmail to see what they've bought, whether from SL, SLM or an affiliate, and i can quickly scan my email to see that every SLM purchase has a matching rez notice, look for any missing ones, and see how long the deliveries are actually taking.

• 2 weeks later...

Good PR generally outweighs any downside. The odd person might get an extra one to give friends, but that by itself is extra marketing if they think the product good enough. Just make sure you keep records of who has had problems so they don't keep doing it.

It's far easier to get a bad reputation than to build up a good reputation. SL does goof a lot, I've had problems buying stuff on occasion and had to ask for a replacement, but every merchant has been good, because merchants are in the same boat.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.