Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Marcus Hancroft

Hosts & Hostesses

Recommended Posts

I never understood the whole "Host & Hostess" business at clubs in SL.  One I like going to has no less than FOUR hosts every time and they dance up on their little pedestals and say "Hello!" to me when I get within chat range.  And I'm supposed to tip them for this?  The other thing the Host  & Hostesses do is offer group tags to get in on the contest boards.  LOL!

Personally, I think it's a silly thing.  I don't need to be greeted every time I go someplace to dance.  I don't need to add any more groups just to get in on the contest boards and I certainly don't need to pay somebody for suggesting that I do! 

Don't get me wrong.  It's nice to hear someone welcome you to the club.  However, to have someone there specifically to greet people and expect money for doing it is ridiculous. 

I know, I know...some of you will say that the Host or Hostess is there to make the experience at the club more enjoyable. 

When I go to a club, it's to listen to the music, dance and listen to the DJ.  The conversations between the other people there is another reason as they can be hilarious and is sometimes fun to join in!  In other words, camaraderie. 

There is only one person at the club who deserves tips from the visitors.  And that's the DJ, so long as he/she is entertaining, plays requests promptly and has a good show. 

But...if you get to an event early (before everybody is ready), the first thing the host or hostess does is plop out that tip jar.  /me laughs!  Like clockwork, I say! 

Anyway, I think the host/hostess thing just needs to go away.  It doesn't help us have more fun and is just another way to filter money out of our balances ('cept for mine cause I'm not about to pay someone for saying hello to me). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back when I was a host(ess) the job was clear. keep the party atmosphere going and take votes (sometimes a tad more than that lol). In addition it was a "tag team" act with the DJ which required knowing the DJ closely. In addition the entire 2 hour show was planned in advance and it was, in effect, a stage show. And I made L$15k or more per day on average. The DJ made twice that or more. Those were the good days of SL.

Today voting is done by click on a board and the "DJ"'s do whatever they choose. There are not many coordinated scripted shows anymore.

 

Basically, if you don't like the entertainment, why do you go? Nobody forces you.

 

edited to add: Tipping is optional. If you do not feel like someone has earned a tip then do not tip. I tip when I feel a tip is earned. And I usually tip L$500. When I tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ann Otoole wrote:

Back when I was a host(ess) the job was clear. keep the party atmosphere going and take votes (sometimes a tad more than that lol). In addition it was a "tag team" act with the DJ which required knowing the DJ closely. In addition the entire 2 hour show was planned in advance and it was, in effect, a stage show. And I made L$15k or more per day on average. The DJ made twice that or more. Those were the good days of SL.

Today voting is done by click on a board and the "DJ"'s do whatever they choose. There are not many coordinated scripted shows anymore.

 

Basically, if you don't like the entertainment, why do you go? Nobody forces you.

Howdy, Miss Ann!  Yes, I remember those days also and I admit that I enjoyed them a lot!  And you're right...everything is all different now.  I wish there were more events like those again. 

It's not that I don't like the entertainment.  I always say Howdy back and am gracious, but, I just don't feel like I need to have a hostess to make my time at the club more enjoyable. 

Now...bring back the way events USED to be handled and that'd be a whole different story!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Marcus Hancroft wrote:


..

Now...bring back the way events USED to be handled and that'd be a whole different story! 
:)

 

Contests are dead. Too many vote alt bots. So what we need is to get back to entertainment basics and get rid of costume contests. I hate to say that because that is what got my business going. But the bots are crap and the privacy invasion required to prevent them is not worth it. So we are back at host/DJ personalities/shows. I doubt we will see many stars again. Not for a few more months anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ann Otoole wrote:


Contests are dead. Too many vote alt bots. So what we need is to get back to entertainment basics and get rid of costume contests. I hate to say that because that is what got my business going. But the bots are crap and the privacy invasion required to prevent them is not worth it. So we are back at host/DJ personalities/shows. I doubt we will see many stars again. Not for a few more months anyway.


Yeah, that's the truth.  It's all just costume contests now.  I bet if a club DID start doing things the old way again they would be a huge success! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ann Otoole wrote:


Marcus Hancroft wrote:


..

Now...bring back the way events USED to be handled and that'd be a whole different story! 
:)

 

Contests are dead. Too many vote alt bots. So what we need is to get back to entertainment basics and get rid of costume contests. I hate to say that because that is what got my business going. But the bots are crap and the privacy invasion required to prevent them is not worth it. So we are back at host/DJ personalities/shows. I doubt we will see many stars again. Not for a few more months anyway.

I'm not going to any costumed events as I tried a few times and people IM you, vote for me and we can split it.  I'm not playing that game, so I don't go to those kinds of events. 

An alternative is to go to some tribute bands events.  Those I've had a lot of fun at.

To the OP:  Do you like rock and blues?  If so, I'll send you the name of a hangout with very little tipping pressure and no host/hostess to tip.

Also, you don't need to tip anyone unless you want too.  I've also said that I think the clubs should pay a 'manager on duty' to help with newbies, etc.  Newbie's are the ones who need the help.  I don't tip host/hostess's anymore myself because I cannot afford it.  They are making greeter robots though, so I'm sure that job will disappear from SL eventually.  I do want to say that if I IM and need a host/hostess for something, I do tip 10 to 20 linden depending on how long it took for that question.  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good venues will survive. Consider the current situation a shakeout.

 

Heck I am considering creating a tipjar-less venue. When it is just for fun things are majorly different. Besides if someone wants to tip someone else they still have the right click pay option. So everyone can be a host!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to help out at a club, hosting events.  From my personal experience, it can actually be a pretty hectic experience.  We didn't have more than one host at a time, so I had to greet everyone who showed up.  You might be surprised at how offended some people get if they aren't greeted right away.  Of course I also had to keep the party going, chatting almost constantly in local.  At the same time I had to deal with up to 5 or 6 IMs from patrons either complaining, suggesting or just wanting to chat.  Add to that several ongoing IMs with the DJ, dancers, club owner.  I was also responsible for sending group notices about the event, as well as group chat notices. 

Fortunately, I did all this because I liked the club and wanted to help out.  I had a tip jar out but never asked for a tip for myself.  Honestly, I would never tip someone who blatently asked for one.  I did "remind" people to tip the DJ and dancers.  I was lucky to walk away with $L200 from a 2 hour event.  I will probably never host an event again.  Actually, it's not easy to get me to go to an event.

I'm not telling you this to get you to tip hosts at events.  That's entirely your choice.  Just don't assume they aren't doing anything besides saying hello.  Maybe it's true of some, but definitely not all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit, I do love to get a welcome when I arrive somewhere. It can be dreadful to teleport into an area of numerous different avatars and have none even mutter a simple "hello" - worse still, this has happened when I have offered a polite greeting in the public chat window. However, I don't think people to to expect to be paid for this - this is something that I should hope everyone should do, simply as a matter of good manners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say this openly.

Green text greetings are an insult. Wait till people are in range to greet or do not greet at all. Robo greets are the fastest way to lose attendees possible. If you are using robots then do SL a favor and close. You are not needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ann Otoole wrote:

I will say this openly.

Green text greetings are an insult. Wait till people are in range to greet or do not greet at all. Robo greets are the fastest way to lose attendees possible. If you are using robots then do SL a favor and close. You are not needed.

LOL, Ann.  Yes, the greeter robots are a little annoying, but it's free at least.

In this economy and with the holidays nearing, I can't afford to pay a person to be nice to me and greet me.  It's better to get with some groups who are all friendly.  I try to greet everyone, and I don't expect to get paid for saying hello or how are you or to chat.  I refuse the hostess job as I am not playing linden loving gestures on principle as that makes me want to leave.

I used to chat in 2D texting platforms, and those were a riot and free.  Everyone was so talkative back then in 2D chat rooms.  I find SL far less "talkative" in general.  2D chat rooms where so fast and funny.  Those were the "good old days" to me as far as chat.  SL offers much more for my artistic hobbies, but 2D chat rooms truly were so funny and a complete riot back in the olden days of about ten years ago, and the chat was non-stop.  I was just thinking of the good old days and the fun I had on 2D chatting platforms, and I found myself wondering why SL is so quiet when those 2D chat rooms were absolutely non-stop hilarious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend and I used to have competitions to see who could do the dirty with hostesses quickest. They were obviously desperate for money or they would not be doing such a demeaning job so I used to cheat by offering them sums of L$ they could not turn down whereas my friend considered it a failure if he couldn't bed them without bribery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate auto-greeter bots and I hate hosts/hostesses that use gesture spam. That's just laziness. I won't tip hosts who gesturespam but I will tip those who actually participate in real conversation with their customers. I tip dancers too. I used to be one myself and I miss it (sadly don't have the time to commit to it any more).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it has been a couple of weeks since this was last posted on, however I would like to say a couple of things.  First, I am now working as a hostess, and I am not desperate for money.  I never ask for a tip, and before I became a hostess I thought basically the same thing.  But it can be a lot of work to do a small two hour event, even something as simple as a "Best in..."   As has already been mentioned before there are lots of other things that happen behind the scenes that most are not aware of.  And since anything special as far as events would probably come out of my pockets, it is very difficult to make events like I would like to, especially when you work for over 2 hours for 200-300$L, that ends up being like .40 cent per hour.

You are never required to tip anyone.  And Marcus, if you tell the Host/Hostess that you would prefer no greeting they may be perfectly content to ignore your presence.  You say that you like the conversations, well I can tell you that most of the time if no host is there the conversations all end up with everyone in Aims.  That camaraderie that you mention is usually at least in part because of the host.  

I am not saying that hosts/hostesses should always be tipped, but if the DC is the only one that deserves a tip, then ask some Des about the value of a good host/hostess.  A lot of DJ's will not work without a good host, because like or not, DC tips suffer greatly when there is nobody there to remind people to tip them.  And just like myself never asking for a tip, the best DJ's do not ask for themselves either.

Many times the majority of the time during these events is helping newbies out with understanding how everything works.  And if you will think back, newbies rarely have money.  I do not do this for my .40 cents an hour, actually less when you consider that there is time spent before the event to get it ready.  I do this because I enjoy people, at least most of them.

If people want to see more of the higher end events then start giving money to the clubs.  A club is essentially a hole to throw money into, they are usually there to keep traffic high to be able to rent some parcels around them in hopes to minimize the owners cost of the sim.

And Cato, I feel sorry for you.  You can think what I do is demeaning if you want to, but if you spent a little time to get to know someone you might actually form a real relationship with the real person behind that avatar. 

I take pride in the service I provide, not all do, but most of the good ones do take pride in their work.

Matty, I hate gestures, they are only good for making the local chat useless for anything but gestures, and I really hate the ones that make noise of the DC and music. "Hoolaalaa, I hate those things"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


MelissaD80 wrote: And Cato, I feel sorry for you.  You can think what I do is demeaning if you want to, but
if you spent a little time to get to know someone
you might actually form a
real relationshi
p with the
real person
behind that avatar.


What? And spoil the

*

illusion? I can't speak for

*

Cato, but if I wanted another

*

REAL

*

relationship I'd switch off the

*

computer and go down the

*

pub. But then, I look like

*

Tom Cruise in real

*

life, too. OK, a bit taller . . .

***

Rudi

***

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Conifer,  In some ways that does kinda sound like it would make some sence in order for them to save money.  And quite a few club owners also work as DJs and some of them will provide their own hosting.  Although using an Alt for this role would be counter productive.  Both the roles of the DJ and the host can make for a very busy time, so combining them on one Avatar would be hard enough, but using two at the same time would just add to the confusion.

There are also times when a host either does not make it for their shift, or because of the inevidble SL crash, leaves a DJ without a host.  Situations like these are not usually good for the DJs bottom line, because like was said already asking for a tip for another is OK with most people, but asking for one for yourself is considered by many as begging and frowned upon.  So the benefits of them not having a host would be not paying the a couple hundred lindens, the negatives are that it can make the DJ a lot less productive, overworked and making a lot less money for themselves.

See Ya. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...