Extreme lag renders my sim unusable, restarts don't help

Ishtara Rothschild

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has any other sim owner noticed an unusual amount of lag in the last days? I run a public sim and always have 20-35 visitors, but until recently, the sim ran just fine. I haven't rezzed any new content as of late. On the contrary, I've removed a lot of content and replaced older builds with newer low prim content a few months ago. Afterwards, the sim ran smoother than ever before. Until now, that is.

I can't do anything when the lag hits. The estate tools don't load and neither does the About Land dialog, so I'm unable to identify and notify or ban script-heavy avatars. I can't rez a script impact display because nothing rezzes. Sculpt maps and textures don't load either, and new visitors find themselves surrounded by grey blobs.

Restarts don't solve anything. On the contrary, restarting a sim seems to have become a risky endeavour. Yesterday, a restart ruined two builds. All prims in the heavily modified no-copy linksets were moved to the same position and rotation, which has never happened before. Also, some scripts don't seem to run after the sim comes back up and I have to manually reset them.

Whatever this is -- borked server code releases, new bugs that were introduced with mesh, or perhaps economy measures (I read LL are running more than 4 private sims per server nowadays) -- it needs to be reverted. I'm sick and tired of logging in for an evening of work or fun and ending up struggling to fix the sim lag for hours. If this persists, I might as well close my popular beach, move my shop to a mainland parcel and tier down, because this kind of experience isn't worth $295 per month. [/rant]

PS: Whatever happened to the planned avatar script limits? We need those back in 2008. I spend half of my SL time asking people to reduce their script load and helping them figure out which part of their resizeable no-mod junk or multimegatooldoohickeys runs 500 scripts and eats up 40 MB of memory. Not that it helps with recent lag issues, mind you.

Why go through all this trouble as a sim owner if you might as well move to a mainland parcel, AR your neighbors for resource abuse and let LL figure it out? People buy full sims to get more value and less lag, not the other way around. They also buy sims and provide public hangouts to get higher traffic numbers, which has become meaningless nowadays. It seems residents are now meant to shop at the Marketplace and spend their time in Linden Homes or at info hubs.

/me takes a deep breath and flounces off in a huff.  

Ishtara

Many sims are suffering the same symptoms as you report, and so far I have not seen a coherent  comment from either a Linden or one of their trusted confidants.

The issue is not confined to Full-region sims, though I imagine it is more noticeable there simply beacuse such behaviour is not expected there.  Homesteads are most certainly seeing reduced script-tolerance, and have been doing some ever since those borked security fixes which killed SL physics functions.  Those functions were eventually restored, but something changed in the way scripts and physics objects interacted with the servers.

With new quad and multi-core servers, the density of sims per server must have increased in the past couple of years, but that has not been shown in a reduction in tier paid by Full-region or Homestead sim owners.

While it is true that the memory and processing speed of a single core is equivalent to  what was a single processor a few years ago, they are not identical, and especially in the case of interlinked entities such as SL regions, the potential for crosstalk does not seem to have been appreciated.

As to whether Linden Lab have sought to squeeze even more sims onto fewer servers - that would be very dangerous territory for Linden Lab to enter, since there could be a case made for misrepresentation, in European law, if not in Federal law.

The use of a restart to clear a clogged memory is, as you so rightly say, a very risky business in the current state of SL, and yet many Homestead owners are exhorted to use this course as an anti-lag tool, by individuals that really ought to know better.

Script-limits, on either Homestead sims or avatars would certainly reduce the impact of this shortcoming, but it would not tackle the fundamental failure of the system that seems to be occurring.  To say that imposing stringent script-limits on Homesteads would be extremely devisive and short-sighted of LL would be both an understatement and so typical of Linden Lab.

PS:  On reflection, perhaps these issues that we are seeing are, in fact, a covert operation by Linden Lab to cause a reduction in script-use by residents. Perhaps this increased script intolerance is intentional? 

If that is the case, I would posit that a publically announced intention to reduce script allocation would have dissuaded the early-stage residents from remaining in SL, since they will have come to appreciate what script-functions can do, but will not have acquired the skills to descript or modify such articles as they might have.

I'm sure that such a thought is too paranoid and conspiracy-theoretical to carry much weight.:matte-motes-big-grin-evil:

Yes, ayesha,  I too wonder where this is all headed.   A couple of "chance" remarks in Andrews Tuesday OH (one by him an done by Simon) have def set me wondering.  Your comments are dead on I think.    It will be ironic if one of the pieces of the "project on region crossing" (which Im still rather in the dark about eve after yesterdays meeting) turns out to be policing of script limits on Homesteads (or even full dims).

Do we know wha an acceptable script load is considered to be for an avi or a vehicle?

Also, things may not be what they seem.   I have a pair of trainers (NO bling!) that has 5 scripts in each shoe, yet a monitoring tool shows each shoe at 470 odd scripts and 7 MB of memory!   Whats with that? 

I have the same problem.. We were on an estate and it became invisible. With the sim as bad or worse after a restart, needing to restart many times a day, and crashes with the sim staying down over an hour. We decided to move but right before we did the estate owner said he spoke to a Linden and had us moved to a server with better hardware because of our high traffic. Whether that was true or not the problems disappeared, but we were still committed to the move. Now on the new sim it is the same as before. Lag so bad you can not move with only a few people on sim right after a restart

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

\i have a homestead in an rp enviroment that up till a few weeks ago ran like a dream.. I have been a sim builder for many years, know the tricks, build my own things using limited texture pallets, limited scripts, keep free prims for sim preformance, careful terraining to help draw distance ect ect...  and now we lag spike so bad that we cant walk or move or sometime even tp in. the sim crashes.. and am loosing traffic  ;(  

I wish they would at least respond to pleas of those paying so much for teirs 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.