Sign in to follow this  
Linden Lab

Resident Lyle Maeterlinck on Bloodlines

Lyle Maeterlinck is the lead programmer behind the Bloodlines vampire and lycan system in Second Life, created by Liquid Designs. He has been creating and selling items in Second Life for Liquid since 2007, and it has been his full-time job since 2008.

Lyle_Maeterlinck_at_Liquid_South.png

Where do you get the inspiration for your sim or community?

My partner Mars Bracken and I draw our inspiration from many sources. There are many different vampire movies, TV shows, graphic novels, and games that have different takes on vampire mythology. For us the real trick is not finding inspiration, but setting up our system to integrate different forms of RP. In Bloodlines, one of our goals was to leave as many RP options open as possible, and just provide the tools to our players to give them the freedom to explore different ideas and mythologies.

Many Vampire-related communities have clans. Why do you think that is?
Clans are great for vampire RP, because they provide a structure for creating stories, from clan history, relationships between clan members, and conflicts with other clans. Typically more experienced players will start clans and invite new players to their clan. Joining a vampire clan that you like is a great way to get started with vampire RP.

- Lyle Maeterlinck

i saw on facebook a question saying what are your thoughts on bloodlines, i guess it depends who is in each group the people! My sl brother in lycan, vamp, hybrid, and i have many friends that rp as vamps! all the ones i know seem to be ok ppl and role players!

My experience with bloodlines players are that most of them are rude and selfish. there are a few that are decent folks but so far, they are in the minority. I know that some of you bloodlines players will read this and either think "i'm not rude" ...if you are camped out at a freebie place and send players who are shopping there bite requests, your rude.

No talking, just a bite popup. and for new players just learning SL, they will unknowingly press the OK not understanding what it means.

this type of action has turned me away from bloodlines. Its gotten so bad that shops and even entire sims have posted NO BITE/NO BLOODLINES signs.

LOL Casey

Sadly Dustie, users that make a bad use of the platform are not a vast majority, but are there nonetheless. Each clan has its own rules on disciplining, encouraging or correcting this sort of behaviour, but it is a mistake to put a bad stigma on all bloodlines players because of some who use it wrong. I am happy that Linden Labs has taken initiatives such as this to give new residents and not so new but wondering alike, information how what options are there, when it comes to vampire RP or lifestyle in SL.

There will always be grievers and people who use Huds wrong or without people's consent, this being Bloodlines or any other platform in-world -magic huds and so on-. Our clan is a SL destination and we get a lot of new members traffic often, who are clearly curious or interested in being vampires in SL, but we never rush them into becoming one, as we feel is best for people to be fully informed before making such a choice. Hopefully with events such as this one promoted by LL, there will be more information available to new residents, so the random accepting of bite requests -and its repercussions- stops being common practise to some bloodlines users.

Kyle Lynch wrote:

My experience with bloodlines players are that most of them are rude and selfish. there are a few that are decent folks but so far, they are in the minority. I know that some of you bloodlines players will read this and either think "i'm not rude" ...if you are camped out at a freebie place and send players who are shopping there bite requests, your rude.

I'm neither a vampire nor a Bloodlines player, but a lot of customers in my shop are, and my impression is that they spend most of their time hanging out on vampire sims, doing whatever vampires and lycans do when they're at home, rather than hanging around freebie shops making a nuisance of themselves.

I suspect that the nuisances you find camped out at freebie places are probably there because they're not welcome on Bloodlines sims, and the problem is that they're nuisances, not that they're vampires.     

Hi, I am a Mexican Vampyre and Lycan, and also a Warrior on Bloodlines. I am the King of Receptor Universal Clan. My question to the owners of Bloodlines is this: Can it be possible you make a little changes on opportunity to bite again non fresh people? This is because there are less new fresh people to enjoy them, and our minions are suffering with no blood or more expensive blood on stores. There are many vampyres dead and we the King ad Queens finds verydifficult now to feed all of our minions. Can It be possible as in others Vamp systems, that we can bite our bitten people more than once at least each month and this gives us a little more blood?

In Viate system the can bite ppl more than once..... or at least please produce more sources for getting cheap blood.

supertaz Collazo - King of Receptor Universal Horde.

Welcome to the forum Lushon.  The best way to quit is to wear the garlic necklace and follow the directions.  It's a one time thing that will stop any Bloodlines player from bothering you anymore.

As far as your soul, that is something you don't really have to worry about... your soul was never really taken, it's just part of the roleplay.  Once you stop roleplaying that you've lost your soul, you haven't lost your soul anymore.  In reality, it was never there to begin with since avatars don't really have souls.

Hope this helps ...Dres

There are other vampire role paying systems that allow biting the same person more than once... Systems like the Vampire Mafia one allows biting fresh victims 3 times before they need to buy a HUD.

Charly Muggins wrote:

You're the Man! So, can you publicly explain how to get your avatar's name removed entirely from the Bloodlines database rather than simply having it marked as "removal requested"?

+1 Kudos

Kyle Lynch wrote:

No talking, just a bite popup. and for new players just learning SL, they will unknowingly press the OK not understanding what it means.

this type of action has turned me away from bloodlines. Its gotten so bad that shops and even entire sims have posted NO BITE/NO BLOODLINES signs.

Many Clans, Hordes, Packs , Families , totally understand that this kind of bad behaviour give a very bad opinion to people inworld about the Bloodlines Game, and all these families teach their members to play in a fair way without attacking everyone blindly ....

All Bloodlines Players aren't Rude, some are . please don't take all the communauty in your comment about some very rude players . only a few of us continue to hunt blindly in welcome areas or freebies shops. Most of us only bite motivated people who ask to play our Bloodlines Game ....thanks a lot for your understanding :)

Lushon Criss wrote:

Hello can you explain please how to quit bloodlines and get your human soul back.

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter. 

hello Lushon,

Once you entered the Bloodlines game there is no way to " get your soul back to you '' but you can wear a garlic necklace, once activated, this necklace will remove you  from the data base, and your name wont shop up on the bloodlines webstite anymore. you can contact me Inworld if you need that i send you one of those necklaces
:)

you can not get your soul back once you have been biten but to be romoved from the vamp system simply wear the garlic neclace and click on it and choose activate.  If you never purchased the hud and worn it, it doesnt matter the sould is only a bloodlines thing. If you were the garlic necklace and activate it no one can bit you and you are completely removed from bloodlines until you wear it again and deactivate it.  If you have any further questions you can contact me in world my name is krissy101074 eiren and i am princess of the fanatic blood clan. thanks

Casey Chemistry wrote:

Im
a bloodlines member
and
most of the time people ask me to bite them

Yes they are the 16 yr. olds at the help centers.  Give this forum a break with such nonsense statements. 

99% of the time people write to this forum that they despise the bite requests that come from bloodlines members.  

Agreed.  Most Bloodlines players are indeed "rude and selfish", or at least they are at some phase of their role-playing experience.  The rudest are the novice vampires.  As soon as a novice buys a Bloodlines HUD, their first impulse is to try it on newbie humans whom they hunt at SL newbie sims.  More experienced Bloodlines players refrain from this harassment of humans, if for no other reason that experienced vampires have learned that it doesn't advance their standing in Bloodlines to bite humans who never buy the Bloodlines HUD.

The garlic necklace would be unnecessary, and disinterested humans would be permanently protected from Bloodlines harassment, if computer code contained in the garlic necklace were moved to the Bloodlines HUD itself.  Then it would be impossible for a vampire to offer a bite to any human, until that human has expressed an interest in Bloodlines by purchasing the Bloodlines HUD.

That remedy to the harassment of humans is so blatantly obvious, and so trivial to implement in computer code, that it must be the case that Bloodlines owners want vampires to harass humans with unsolicited bite offers.  Otherwise, Bloodlines owners would insert that line of code into the Bloodlines HUD.

lol my clan would kick me out if i just ran around sending bite requests not all vampires are spampires and before i send a request i find out if they want to be in bloodlines  if they dont its fairly pointless biting as there soul will go to the abyss if they do i buy there hud and explain there soul will be long to me, when i first joined my liege was not good didnt explain any of this i bought  human hud first not realising i could just get vampire hud, also were not allowed to bite newbies for 14 days so they do have a chance of learning but i agree that vamps  just running around sending requests without helping and talking are idiots

lol the femmes are very alluring and hypnotic i spent a couple of weeks hangin around freebie locations hoping to get bite request in the end i had to ask, another occasion when i first turned vamp a greedy female nearly destroyed me took 4 litres  had to scurry away with 0.25 vital sometimes wish she had finished me off the curse can be costly and i`ve had a couple of friendships dissolved once they found out im a vamp

I think this is really well said...and very true. Tis a shame so many take the "  being "  of a person and pin it to a problem.. in this case, nuisances.. which they'd be regardless of what type of being they are. 

I'm replying now to something written back in 2011. Still to this day it seems nuisances are still out n about sending their wordless requests. But hey, it takes all types to make the world go around and those Clans, Hordes, Families, Bloodline players..ect not involved can be proud they aren't.