Full Perm Items

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Completely new and have never tried to create anything for SL.  My username for SL was a complete coincidence to the Maya software.  Never heard of the Maya software until I read the forums.

Okay, there are many items available called full perm items that a person can buy, and then I guess they add their own textures, and then can resell the items.  (I hope I'm correct about the reselling part; again, this is completely new to me).

Okay, say I buy a full perm item.  Now what do I do to learn how to texturize the items?

Do I take a class in SL on how to do this; and, if so, what class?

I downloaded Blender, but it looked so complicated, I removed Blender.   When I downloaded Blender, all I did was move a cube around; the rest was Greek to me.  Now, I can buy a DVD for this Blender program, but I'm wondering if that is worth it for the DVD or can the forums or a class in SL get me started on learning how to texturize these full perm items?

In essence, where do I start?

if you are texturing an item you made out of a full perms sculpty set you can use any one of the many thousands of textures available in SL and slap it on the prim. the set may come with a ready made texture especially made for the set in which case apply that you can jut find the texture in your inventory and drag it on to the ptim or go in to the texture tab of build mode and find the texture you want via that 

sometimes the textures available in SL won't do and you have to export the sculpt map if modify outside of SL you need the sculpt open for this as i use phoenix to export you click file then choose save as tga or png i use png you will find it beneficial if you have a version of photoshop that lets you texture direct on a 3D model sadly i don't and i don't know if gimp which is Free has the ability so i use a program called Sculpty Paint it's a Free program that creates sculpties and does basic colour and baked texturing i make a basic or baked texture then i take it to photoshop and try making a better texture if i need to and i continually save and drag the PS texture in to sculpty paint and make sure it looks ok on the sculpt when i'm happy i use a temporary upload to test inworld if i'm happy with that i spend L$10 uploading it to SL

Classe are taughr at many newcomer friendly places: 

See the destination guide:

Destination Guide (Second Life)

http://secondlife.com/destinations/ 

Here are some introductory articels on content creation:

Content creation   Build, Script , Videos

http://thinkerer.org/SLintChan/SLiHoboKitonWeb.htm#Content_creation,_Building

Here is an article for  beginners

Building 101 Start learning how to build

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2011/04/kit-building-101-start-learning-how-to.html

TKR

I got nowhere with Blender, but I wouldn't tell someone not to use it if it works for them.

For beginners, I highly recommend Sculptypaint, which I actually still use at some point in the process for almost everything I make.

People say it's very limited, and that's true.

But it's also very easy to use for the things that it actually does, so it's a fast way to learn basic concepts that you can then apply with Blender, Zbrush, etc. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.