Did You See the Linden's New Game Within the Game?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's kinda cool.

First, you have to have a premium account to find the Mystery Portal. Hint: look around the premium sandboxes.

Next, you have to viewer 3 on to see mesh--without the ability to see mesh, this will be kasha.

Then you get to this other world and...

well I won't say more : )

Prokofy Neva wrote:

Next, you have to viewer 3 on to see mesh--without the ability to see mesh, this will be kasha.

Then you get to this other world and...

Why would anyone choose to use a non-mesh-enabled viewer?  Mesh clothes (and I don't know what else, yet) are so much nicer with a viewer that can render them, but they look like $#!t with one that cannot.

I for one don't use the mesh viewer.  I find the Viewer 3's incredibly clunky, Firestorms is the best but even with that the chat/im/notices make me crazy and seems like everything I do needs one or two clicks more to achieve than in my older Phoenix viewer. Also, with less than 50% of the population using a mesh viewer, wearing mesh leaves you a naked avie with a few orbs hanging off your bod...not really how I wish to appear in the world

Also, I disagree on mesh clothing being an improvement.  Most of what I have tried on in mesh, and see on others when I do take out the mesh viewer,  fits poorly.  Have seen nothing that is better than what I already have with high-quality prim/sculpt clothing.  I look forward to a good mesh enabled viewer and to some good mesh products in the future...but it isn't in my near future. 

Er, no. The question is: why would anyone use mesh and the mesh viewer?

There is hardly any mesh content. What there is has uncertainties and problems, it's not clear how it will impact land and you can't edit it.

I have only seen one tenant with a boat I couldn't see because it was a mesh, but I'm used to that -- I see sculpties as a big jumble of junk until I get up close and I simply prefer prims. And that's ok. I'm like a lot of people.

The viewers 2 and 3 all make land management 10 times harder.

I'm sticking with 1.23. Occasionally I go on viewer 2 just to walk through things and write help cards for my tenants who are new to SL and start out with 2. I even tell some of them to go to 1.23 because certain things are easier.

Mesh -- not for us. It's not soup yet.

• 1 month later...

Er yes..I know this thread is a bit old..but it's not necroposting while it's still on the first page...right?

I have played the game. In fact I spent  a very fun afternoon with a friend doing so, and will go back one day most likely to play again. Mine was a bit borked, as the hud wasn't working quite right, so the tasks were out of sync. It didn't stop us having a brilliant few hours dodging those monsters, and gobbling up crystals. I really liked the cave-y bit you had to run through.

I'd like to see more, and I'd looove to see the same auto-attached gaming hud options available to all landowners, so that they can also make games. I want to have the chance to do that for visitors to my land (if they opt in), and to make co-operative games with my neighbours (which we already do as much as we can, and we'd do a poo-load more with better tools).

Um...mesh is great, sorry, but it just is, and that's an ok precept. No we don't all run mesh viewers. Not all the time. (I pop back into old familiar viewers to build in, as it's easier.) We get that, as it takes time for new technology to filter along, and mesh viewers can be tough going and crashy. But they are increasingly accessable. The beta viewer is wonderful in ways (windlight controls suck a bit) but I know not everyone can keep up with it, or want a v3 UI just yet (better than v2 imho)

I kept hearing bad things about the Phoenix mesh-enabled viewer, as in it's bugginess, but have it and love it. In fact, it beats the v3 beta hands down (having shadows, depth of field that is controllable, proper windlight setting control, a familiar Phoenix interface..aw I forgot to see if it still has those excellent phoenix build tools before logging out (copy/pasting of prim and texture values and aligning)

Edited to add that yes it does have all that Phoenix buildy goodness. Wooohoooo. (Those are the best tools I've ever ever seen that help builders do great things easily, and no those capabilities weren't the end of SLivilisation as we know it)

Anyway...no more negativity..ok? There's cool stuff...quit ur whinin' and go enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.