Most of my wardrobe is unwearable!

ellerc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi good people of the forums! I am hoping to get some advice about my wardrobe dilemna. Since joining SL I've developed a shopping habit and have acquired a sizable (and fashionable :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:) wardrobe. The problem is, about a 1/3 of it is unwearable - due to either skin showing in odd places, shoes that rezz jagged or my feet stick through (I'm wearing the base), butt sticking out of a skirt, necklaces that hide in my boob or neck... you get the picture.

I've tried my hand at editing the pieces to my shape but it all turns into a clusterf**k and I make it much worse than it was before. It's becoming frustrating because some of the pieces were pricey (some were bargains); some are just very lovely things that I really want to wear.

I like the size, proportions and shape of my avi and i'm not too excited about the possibility of altering my avi. Is there any way to fix the clothing without having to change my avi or ruin the pieces?

Elle

You might want to hire someone to do alterations for you, just as you would in the real world if you needed tailoring done, but you couldn't sew well enough to do it yourself. Find someone skilled at building and/or texturing, and ask for their help.

The trick to having someone else mod prim clothes for you is to follow these steps:

1: Friend that person who is going to help you, and give them mod rights for your prims.

2: Get a free pose stand, and stand on it.

3: Rez a copy of the item to be modified on the ground.

4: Wear a second copy of the item.

5: Move the copy you rezzed in-world until it pretty much exactly overlaps the one you are really wearing.

6: In inventory, detach the item you were actually wearing.

At this point, you're locked in position, and the item you need edited, such as a prim skirt, is in the right position relative to your body, but is not actually being worn by you. This is important because others can not edit an attachment while it is attached to you.

Your hired 'tailor' can now edit the prims of the object as needed, to fix it for you. When they are done, you can re-name the object (so you can tell it is the altered copy), take it into inventory, and wear it to make sure the alterations are right.

( Edited to add: This same process can also be used by yourself, to edit a copy of an item, and has the advantage that if you need to, you can unlink, remove or re-link individual prims. When I mod hair to fit my furry avatars, I do this, because you can't unlink a prim from an attachment you are actially wearing! )

For shoes, try to wear either alpha layers or invisible prims on your feet. You can use the ones you got in some other pair of shoes. Sometimes I create socks same colour as boots (my avi only wears boots lol)  and it helps. 

Also try to play with your LOD factor, make it higher. Its in preferences - debug.

For jewelry, you can only edit the position to fit your shape. But make a copy first! And find some freebie pose for adjusting it.

For butt sticking out of your skirt, there are usually pants or underpants you wear underneath that skirt so try to make them longer. 

Of course all this if you can actually modify those stuff lol

Yes!

You do not have to alter anything about yourself to get the pieces to work.

Your descriptions are very common second life fashion challenges that many struggle with.

Ok, skin showing in odd places and jagged shoes. First thing to do is set RenderVolumeLODFactor to 4.000 instead of the default 2.000, this is a debug setting found under the Advanced Menu. This causes no additional lag and makes sculpts show up better to yourself.

Also, sometimes a shoe needs to be moved up or down a bit to get it just right. Right click shoe, choose edit and move it up or down just a little bit by grabbing the blue arrows. Some items have resize scripts you can use by left clicking on the shoe.

Jewelry, same. Move up or down just a bit and resize it if the option is available. Sometimes you can hide the back where the clasp is in your skin to get the front to look right which is acceptable if you have hair that covers your back, with short hair like ours, I usually move the chain up just so that it is resting on my shoulders and then tilt the necklace by choosing edit and hold down the CTRL button to give you rotational circles. Minor adjustments are best. Looking at your left shoulder attempt to get the necklace to look kinda like this:  /

But sticking out, common problem, try moving up a bit and angling the skirt to the back, so from the left side you want a \ kind of angle.

So basically, first make a copy of your item! Then adjust position slightly by moving up or down and rotating just a little. Resize if scripts are available, if not, try stretching by pressing and holding CTRL and SHIFT while in edit mode and pulling on the grey squares, although this is not very recommended unless you have a steady hand and have made a backup copy.

Ok, just remember, you are not alone and these are challenges we all face! Look at other avatars and you will begin to notice those things you mentioned, the best you can do is make it almost perfect and let the suspension of disbelief do the rest! :D

Make copies. Make lots of copies, of everything that allows you to make copies, before you even try to edit. As you're getting starting, I also suggest saving every time you adjust a prim to your satisfaction. Once you get one prim in place, where you like it, take off the item and make another copy. Rename it something that will let you know which stage of the editing process you were in, such as <skirt name> step 1. Then wear the "original" that you've been working with (you can rename this as well to remind you, perhaps something like <skirt name> working copy) and edit the next prim. That way, you won't have to re-edit every prim every time you've made a mistake. Once you have the whole thing edited to your satisfaction, you can delete the various steps and the working copy, leaving you with the original and the edited version and keeping your inventory fairly clean.

As others have said, to fix jagged edges, try upping your LOD factor. Keep in mind that shoes without prim feet often leave a few jagged edges on the system feet. Prim feet, however, can be difficult to skin-match, so each style has its pros and cons. If your feet are sticking through, look for a foot alpha. There are some free on the marketplace, and many shoes include foot alphas of various kinds.

The only kind of clothing you should have to alter your avi for is mesh clothing (which is once of the reasons many users don't yet use mesh), and system skirts (which give you a big butt and hips). For those, most people create versions of their shapes edited to adjust for these things.

You can certainly hire a "tailor," or some might help you for free. (I'd offer, but I'm not all that great at it, myself.) It would probably be faster, but you won't get the experience that playing around yourself will give you.

Hi Tamara (love your profile pic btw), thanks for your response!

I rarely have trouble with my shoes save for a few pair and I always wear either the prim or the alpha layer. I tried the resizing it using the attached script without success.

I'm not sure where to adjust the LOD factor - I'm using Firestorm Beta. I checked the advance menu but didn't find the option. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.

I just gave up on the necklaces mostly because I end up make them worse lol and I usually forget to make a copy of my purchases.

I like the idea of adjusting the underpants/pants on my skirts; however, if they're short skirts I think it may look odd to have peeking out from my mini dress.

I'll start with the LOD factor (once I find the setting) and see what happens.

Thanks Charlotte for your suggestions! I've tried moving the shoes up and down, stretching and using the resize script that's attached but I never could get it right. It looked like a bigger shoe with jagged edges or with my foot peeking through.

As for the necklaces, like i said in my reply to Tamara, I just kinda gave up! lol and I just wear them as is...

I see from all of the responses that my first mistake was failing to make copies but I will definitely do that going forward!!!

Go take some building classes, lot of them. if you can  You will find them in Search/Events/Education.  It doesn't matter what the class is learning to build; the same skills used to build a house or a flower are used to edit your clothing, hair, lashes etc.  Then COPY clothing items that don't fit and practice editing them to fit your avie. If you mess up delete and try again...almost nothing with a prim will fit everyone; we come in so many shapes.

For future shopping do not buy anything that is not modifiable, or at least comes with a resize script...though, resize really won't make wearables fit "perfectly" as they just make things overall bigger or smaller.  It depends on how picky you are, I am **bleep** ,so I do not buy anything not fully mod. 

Learning good building skills will be so helpful to you in many areas of SL living, from your appearance to even arranging your household.  Who knows at some point you might even want to make something!

Good luck : )

Thank you Ariel! I forgot the first rule of clothing in SL...make copies!!! And i really like the tip of renaming the edited item at its stage of completion - it speaks to my need to be organized. hehehe

I have a few dress that when I wear them, my butt is the size of North Dakota. So I've adjusted my shape and saved a copy to use for that particular piece. Its time consuming and frankly I'm too lazy. lol So i'm glad that its not a suggestion to fix my pieces.

I also in regards to tailoring... I guess I need to weigh whether I want the experience or the convenience. Probably a little bit of both.

Hi Lyra, thanks! I have been trying my hand at building a little... but like you said practice is the key. I'm not terribly picky but i can get focused on a flaw if the mood suits me lol

I found editing things around my house isn't nearly as difficult as editing my clothing. Not sure why that is :((

I will keep practicing!!

Thank you:) I love it too hihi

With alpha layers you really should have no trouble but, it can happen that alpha layer hides a part of your leg thats above your shoe (often I see girls that have shoes, then empty space above them, then legs lol). You can fix that by editing your shoe. Right click and move the blue arrow a little up. Untill the shoe reaches your skin.

If you wear invisible prim, use ctrl+Alt+T to highlight transparent, then you can see your invisible prim part, many times can happen that you just need to rotate it a little bit and you wont see your feet. If not then resize it and make it bigger. 

Great suggestion that we all forget lol; make a copy and practice with it. 

LOD factor: open advanced menu by clicking Ctrl+Alt+D (I think lol, but better check with Google) then look for the debug settings. When you open it, click on the little arrow to get the whole list or just type RenderVolumeLODFactor and change its value to 4 (if you disabled camera constraints and if you're caming really far away you can put it even higher) and close the window.

Recently I found a great pearl necklace in my inventory, it was really big, it reached my belly lol. But as my avi moved, it was going inside her body. So i spent more than an hour adjusting every little prim! It looks decent now but my avi will never buy something like that ;) I can't give you any other advice on that, just practice and try hard lol

Ohh and if you need a great standing animation for adjusting your prim parts let me know and I'll send it to you inworld. 

ellerc wrote:

Hi good people of the forums! I am hoping to get some advice about my wardrobe dilemna. Since joining SL I've developed a shopping habit and have acquired a sizable (and fashionable :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:) wardrobe. The problem is, about a 1/3 of it is unwearable - due to either skin showing in odd places, shoes that rezz jagged or my feet stick through (I'm wearing the base), butt sticking out of a skirt, necklaces that hide in my boob or neck... you get the picture.

I've tried my hand at editing the pieces to my shape but it all turns into a clusterf**k and I make it much worse than it was before. It's becoming frustrating because some of the pieces were pricey (some were bargains); some are just very lovely things that I really want to wear.

I like the size, proportions and shape of my avi and i'm not too excited about the possibility of altering my avi. Is there any way to fix the clothing without having to change my avi or ruin the pieces?

Elle

You gotta learn to edit stuff to fit. Move, rotate, stretch. It's easy but it does take practice. I know... it's tedious to learn & takes time out from the fun stuff you'd rather be doing in SL. But SL being what it is, you just have to do it. Good luck!

Jeanne

ellerc wrote:

I have a few dress that when I wear them, my butt is the size of North Dakota.

That is the downside of system skirts ^_^;; It's why so many creators use pants and prims to create that tight-fitting look. I've found that generally I only have to create one skirt shape, and it'll work with all of my outfits that include system skirts. That way I can just copy and paste that shape into the outfit folder. I'm much too lazy to make a new shape for every single one!

You should never have to adjust your shape to fit your clothing, with the exception of system skirts. (And mesh, but hopefully they'll fix that soon...) For myself, if a prim item is not modifiable, I won't buy the outift. And preferably it's both copy and mod. (I have one outfit where the skirt is mod, but no copy, but the creator offers to send you a replacement if you mess it up, and to help you fit it if you need assistance.)

I've found that if I don't rename things, I forget and end up deleting the "extras" that were actually progressive stages of editing, before I'm finished editing the whole thing!

I just read some exiting news on Gogo's JuicyBomb blog, basically it is saying that rigged mesh plus the traditional texture layer is creating partial mesh clothing that has the desirability of mesh movement without the need for adjusting the avatars shape, which is one of the biggest complaints towards the adoption of mesh, so, good news!

Also I have to mention this really important (and exciting) thing about the new Oxford Pencil Skirt! This skirt is a rigged mesh skirt, but it does not require you to change your shape to wear it. It should fit almost everyone with no adjustments cos the “skirt” is actually only partially mesh — as you can see, some of the skirt is made up of texture pants, and the mesh area is only visible between the legs, but it blends so flawlessly!!! I did a picture to show you guys how this all works, but definitely try a demo at the store. This is like… a very advanced crotch prim 2.0 :P

Hey Charlotte, I actually went out and purchased the oxford skirt a few days ago and just got around to trying it on. I thought I read on one of tho blogs that it didn't require a mesh viewer so I bought it with this in mind. However, I tried it on and the mesh flap is a big ball now... I'm assuming this isn't normal??! I'm running Firestorm Beta for mac.

Otherwise the skirt is absolutely adorable and I even got a few more items from the shop while I was there :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

I'm on Firestorm and have that skirt, and have no problem seeing it. It looks great! I'm not on a mac, though. That's weird...

But anyway, Firestorm beta IS mesh enabled. Well, it should be. Which version do you have? If it's been a while since you updated, you may want to grab the mesh update of it. It's still a little buggy (crossing my fingers for another update soon!), but you can see mesh with it.

Hey Guys!

I read Slexyfashionista and slstyleacademy daily so it most likey was from one of those blogs (which is a mashup of other sl blogs). I wasn't aware that Firestorm was mesh enabled though I haven't updated since installing it approxmately 2 months ago.

Faithless Babii wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Hey, Elle.

I don't know which blog you read that on, but because the skirt is partial mesh, a mesh viewer is required to see the mesh part of it.

I thought Firestorm was mesh enabled anyway?

If youre on a mesh enabled sim..Id guess it is..I have a feeling some are still not

I thought all of Second Life was mesh enabled? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.