Known bug stops my IMs. How long du I have to wait before I get back IM capability?

Samwise Boucher

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I got this message yesterday telling me:

"You have sent out excessive instant messages, and your ability to send IMs has been temporarily suspended. Try again later."

A quick search told me this is a known bug relating to offline messages piling up. What does "try again later" mean? How long will I actually have to wait for the system to open up my IMs again? After 24 hours this is getting annoying as everyone thinks I am ignoring them.

1 answer to this question

You're referring to https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7297.  Yes, it's a very annoying bug, listed now as "fix pending", which usually means that the developers have written a patch to fix it but need to test it in a limited release of the next server update before making it available across the main grid.  So, my uninformed guess is that  "try again later" means that your own IM queue should probably be clear within a day or less, and the problem itself will probably be resolved in a week or two.  If you want to prod the process along, and if you have something constructive to add, feel free to post a comment in that JIRA.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.