Day of the Dead griefers: LL please help newbie sim owners.

Myra Wildmist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4529 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was at the Smithsonian Latino Music sim, today, looking at the Day of the Dead exhibit. It's very prominently displayed in your LL Viewer as a place to visit. It was a lot of fun, except... Griefers.

The griefers ruined the event. They were walking around with signs celebrating Hitler (Hard to take the trolls seriously when they're soooo obvious.) and rezzing all sorts of junk in the sim. I'm sure a lot of people ARed them.

What I found most troubling, though, was after talking to a person in the land group for the sim, it seems they were kinda newbs to SL and didn't understand what they have to do to set up their land, properly. Things like rezzing, scripting, and collision were all enabled.

So I have some questions:

What guidance does LL give to new sim owners? Do they give them a little FAQ about how to set up your sim and maybe one that specifically says, How to deal with griefers?

This was a sim run and, I guess, paid for by the Smithsonian - the largest museum complex in the US - and sponsored by Disney (There's a little sign.). Did they get a little special handholding from LL? I mean, if the idea is to make a little money for SL and keep this fabulous virtual world going, wouldn't that be a good idea?

What does your city or county give you when you go out and purchase land?  They actually provide everything you need to know.  But they don't hold your hand.........it's put out as public information and it's free.  Linden Lab does the same for it's residents:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life

It's all there......everything you need to know.  It's the residents responsibility to get educated.  If you choose not to do so then the learning process can be somewhat painful.  Someone purchasing a sim pays $1,000 setup fee plus $295 a month tier.  It amazes me that people will pay that much for virtual land (something that exists only as long and bits and bytes flow) without researching before they sign the check.  No one is there to hold your hand in real life, why would you expect someone to grab your hand in make believe life?

Dispite my bluntness, I do have some sympathy for the sim owners.  But it's more like watching a child try to ice skate when they haven't quite mastered walking yet........they learn the hard way and I know it's painful sometimes, but the child chose to try to ice skate before he could walk.  They all learn eventually..........some the hard way some the not so hard way.

Hi, Myra.. Ive had a couple of full sims but, I never got any help up front..I had to ask for help. If you're renting the sim, the land owner will be happy to help, or, ask friends who have owned sims. I think some will give new land renters or owner notecards with informations. but, mostly, a person has to ask for assistance. or just stumble around until they get it right.

It can be very frustrating at first when you dont know what youre doing! I wish them luck..

cheers,

Nim

The comparison to governments is beyond stupid.  Governments are not private businesses relying on sim owners optimizing their experience to stay in existence and hopefully return a profit to shareholders.

Your comments about the information all being there are equally stupid.  Even Linden Lab accepts that their documentation is a mess, and that navigating it is confusing at best.  If LL want to sell and get tier for more sims (and they do) your "solution" is actually part of LL's problem.

I'm wondering how the exhibition came to be built and organised in the first place.   I mean, someone at the Smithsonian must have been sufficiently familiar with SL to have had the idea in the first place, and between someone having the idea and the event taking place there must have been reasonably experienced people involved to set up the build and the event.

That being the case, how come no one seems to have thought about security or estate managers?

I have to agree with you. The comparison is perplexing to say the least. Would a better one not be - it's like a real estate agency trying to rent you property and then giving you poor or no customer support when things go wrong? And if you ask how to work the boiler they snap "Google it!" at you. Very odd marketing strategy...

I suspect some people get so wrapped up in the "your WORLD" thingy, they get confused and lose sight of the fact that LL is just a company and not a world power.

It's really a case of people expecting a bit too much from LL here, tbh.  LL do provide a reasonably complete set of documentation between the KB & wiki.  Their service does not include hand holding in terms of how to properly make best use of the virtual land they provide, and has never been sold as including that.

If you need that sort of service, you shouldn't be going direct to LL for your land, but to one of the many established private estates or mainland rental companies.  The level of service does vary with these 3rd party suppliers, but the best of them will be very glad to work with you and help you solve critical issues such as griefing type things.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4529 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.