adding an avatar photo to my profile on viewer2

chesterburnett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This should be so easy to do. You take a picture of your avatar and then post it to your profile picture and presto! But nooo

its in TGA format which cant be posted so you save it to your inventory and then out of sl you copy it to your computer hard drive and then Tory recommends a photo editor and so you go to it and after reading the tutorial and about 15 or 20 steps later you still aint there to change it from TGA to JPEG and 2 hours later and isnt this just plain swell!!! You still aint there cuz nobody can remember the 15 or 20 steps in a row just to do it...and the purpose of sl is to have fun and this sure isnt fun and enough to make you wanna say screw it I aint postin an avatar photo in my profile. This is just incredibly stupid cuz if after hours and hours I finally get it right..then what happens if I change my avatar clothes...does it update in the profile photo???

I think not!!!! Can we make this a little harder folks!!!! Its not taxing enough for my comp skills at this point in time.

2 answers to this question

Hello chesterburnett. With the new web profiles (as i assume you already know) we can't use a pic directly from our inventory as profile pic. The pic must to be saved in your computer / hard disk. What you can do:

1)The easiest way is to take a photo (snapshot) --> save it in your computer and after upload it in your profile. The pic will have the extension .png Also .jpg and .gif files are allowed.

2)If the pic is in your inventory and you want to use it, save it in your computer as .tga and after edit the pic with a program for editing pics (like Photoshop) as .jpg, or .gif, or .png

3)If you haven't a program with which you can open a .tga file you can do a trick. Open the pic in world, make it bigger dragging it from the right down corner --> click "Print Screen" (it is a key on your keyboard) --> Open a simple program for pics like Microsoft Paint --> Paste there (using Ctrl+V). You edit the pic there as you wish and you save it as, using one of the acceptable extensions.

4)When the pic is ready in your computer --> open your profile in world --> edit profile --> Profile picture --> choose file --> select the pic --> Open --> Upload. That's all.

Read this wiki article and follow some of the links for more information.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_to_set_profile_pictures

You want to use JPG (or JPEG)........that's probably the worse format to use (the quality is just plain awful).  Once you read the article go to Google and search for Paint.NET.  It's a free image editor that can convert almost any image format to any other image format you want (there are exceptions but it will handle all the main and popular formats used in digital image editing). 

To avoid distortion you really need to pay attention to the resolution for your profile picture.  It may seem complicated but it's not...........just basic image editing that you might use to fix up or enhance your birthday party pictures for last year.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.