mesh and prim count

Ralph Honi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm just getting into mesh ... I made some parts in Sketchup ... not real complicated parts ... one with some cylinders, curved, and another with a some boxes modified with radius corners.  I import fine ... says 2 or 3 prim equivalent when queried ... when I attach to my in-world created 25 prim model .. the sim object count raises by 356.  Any ideas?  Is Sketchup the problem?

When you link a mesh object to standard prims, the whole linkset is treated with the new accounting system that was deveoped for mesh. This system produces costs that are related to the actual resource cost of the object. Many standard prims are very profligate in resource consumption, and consequently have very high costs under the new system. The upshot of all that is that it is generally  a very bad idea to link meshes with other types of prims, including sculpties. This is the case however the meshes are built.

I believe that is a characteristic of Sketchup or it's exporter. For some reason it does not handle materials/textures the same way as other programs. This is a major disadvantage of Sketchup as it precludes use of the up-to-eight textures per mesh allowed in SL. You could try using Blender to just to import your dae files, join the objects and re-export. That would not require too much learning of the Blender UI.

Yes. Simple boxes are the exception, maybe simple cylinders too. As you start distorting them, the costs rapidly become more than a prim each. The greatest effect tends to be in the physics cost (unless they are very large) because you can't provide a simple shape. If you can set them to type none, that is better, but the download costs are bad too. Someone should draw up a table of which distortions can be tolearted without crossing the one prim barrier for each type of prim. I might have a go at that.

I don't think any criticism of the questioners was intended. It's a good question. Everyone is legitmately puzzled when they meet this one.  This is one of the questions in the wiki mesh faq. Maybe a sticky here with a link to that would help. Although, the faq answer isn't quite as full clear as it might be. May I should try to edit it?

Sorry for my over reaction ... after a guy digs and digs for info ... it gets a little frustrating.  If I cant find what I need, I use these rescources as a last resort.  I simply took the comment the wrong way ... was late last eve  ;-),  Thanks again for all your help!!

Yes Ralph, not aimed at anybody for asking these questions, we just see the same ones over and over.

I agree with Drongle about the FAQ in the mesh intro, but also...

There are two stickies in the Mesh forum now, UserGroup and MeshBlog, both basically useless to most, if not all, mesh creators.

A sticky to the mesh FAQ, or even the mesh wiki, is obviously useless too, otherwise it would be there already. Hey?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.