Sign in to follow this  
GenysisGwynn Nicoletti

Completely Confused and frustrated

Question

I don't have a specific answer for you as I don't run any of the Phoenix/Firestorm viewers.  You should reach out to their support group as well for help.  That said, you didn't say what you are doing when the crash occurs.  If you are crashing on teleport or on moving from one sim to the next, then, yes, it could be an attachment.  If you are just standing there doing nothing and you crash, then I would suspect something marginal in your network or computer configuration.  Any additional info you can provide about what you are doing when you crash and what kind of crash it is would be helpful.

--Cinn

ps Just Edit your post under the Options menu to add things

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

I don't have a specific answer for you as I don't run any of the Phoenix/Firestorm viewers.  You should reach out to their support group as well for help.  That said, you didn't say what you are doing when the crash occurs.  If you are crashing on teleport or on moving from one sim to the next, then, yes, it could be an attachment.  If you are just standing there doing nothing and you crash, then I would suspect something marginal in your network or computer configuration.  Any additional info you can provide about what you are doing when you crash and what kind of crash it is would be helpful.

--Cinn

ps Just Edit your post under the Options menu to add things

• Like 1

I'm sure that there is an answer, but it's eluding me at the moment, Genysis.  I think maybe your best bet is to pose the question in the live in-world support group for Firestorm/Phoenix.  They have excellent, knowledgeable staff on duty almost all the time.  If you aren't already a member of the group, see  https://my.secondlife.com/groups/3a1be8d4-01f3-bc1a-2703-442f0cc8f2dd , or you can try just sending your question by e-mail to  support@phoenixviewer.com  .  If you do that, be sure to put a brief summary in the subject line of your e-mail note.

• Like 1

If you are running both of your avatars at the same time that may be what the problem is.  The mesh viewers use more computer resources and it could be that your computer isn't up to running 2 viewers simultaneously. If this is the case, I suspect that you primary is the one crashing because it probably uses more memory than you alt due to the additional attachments you mentioned.

On my old computer I could run 2 viewers at the same time for a long time, but as it got older and viewers advanced, eventually I couldn't.  I could hardly run 1 viewer plus another program.   I just got a new computer a few months ago that is a pretty powerful.  Now not only can I run 2 viewers but several other programs at the same time now.

Here's my two cents (or is that $L5 lindens?).  I think it's one of two things, possibly both.  It still could be a cache issue in that all the viewers seem to want to place the cache locations on the user's computer in the same place (even TPV's place them the same as LL official viewers).  To help counter that potential problem move one of the caches (or if you have more than two accounts each of the alts') to a different location on your computer.  Say you have two accounts, keep the main at the default location and move the alt).  The lessens the likelihood of mixing of the caches between the accounts.  The other problem I can see as a cause is the account that has the problem is wearing some attachment that is causing the crash (my question is though, is it really a crash or simply a loss of connection to the servers?  I guess it doesn't matter much since the end result is that you can't use SL either way).  To test that, remove all atttached items from your avatar then log out and back in.  See if you crash at near the same time frame as before........if you don't (give it some time like two or three times what you usually would experience the crash) the put the attachments back on one at a time..........wait.  If you are good attach another item, and wait.  Keep going until you crash.........you'll know which item is causing your trouble.  If you don't crash, then it's a mystery but if it stopped the crashing that's not necessarily a bad thing.

And the method you used to add to your question using the edit function is almost the only way you can with this fourm package LL gave us.  You could use the permalink but that is really tedious and hard for people to keep up with the progress of your issue.

• Like 1

GenysisGwynn Nicoletti wrote:

-I don't see where to post in this phoenix/firestorm group, I don't see a group when you go to the page it says to email them, so thats why I post here, if anyone has a link with previous posts that I can use I would appreciate that, I sent the email, but since they are so busy with FS, I thought I would get a quicker response here* shrugs, but thank you I appreciate all responses

That's why I gave you the link to the FS in-world group.  I'll send it to you in world now as well. I would send it to your alt as well, but of course I do not know your alt's name. So long as you can log in as your alt, you'll be able to get into the group and ask your question there in real time, instead of having to go back and forth in e-mail.

The Phoenix Firestorm group is an INWORLD group that you join. Do a search but make sure that you join one with Merryman (spelling as I am not in world at the moment) or Jessica Lyon as owners. The others are apparently copycats and not official and causing havoc. Those guys are GREAT. You can also look on the Firestorm wiki (in theory at least, I can't find it :D).

Since you say your main avatar has lots more ON, I suggest paring down to nothing but jeans and T shirt and see if you can stay logged in then. You might actually be wearing something that is causing the problem. You might also try "changing your hair base" (I use the original noob one and generally have NO issues). That is a tip from Ed Merryman (hope I remembered that correctly). It seems to fix lots of issues. He also suggested NOT clearing you cache for all the things people typically tell you to clear it for *wink*.   Since I clear mine VERY seldom, I was on the page with that.

Hope you find an answer. Look up the support group in world and write to them. There is most always someone knowledgeable on, but before that try the almost naked approach as that seem pretty suspicious to me.