Improvements to Second Life Random Ideas.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was thinking about ways to reduce Inventory sizes as a default. The Library folder would have either male or female clothing only. 

The colors could be different, idk. I might choose the heavy steel viewer over the pretty flower viewer but that is just my preference.  

Nice idea.  But increasing the size of the plot is moot.  The Linden Home does not sit on a 512 meter plot of land.  It sits on Linden Land and there is no land at all attributed to the Linden Home.  That's why you cannot place anything outside the foot print of the home.  Deleting every other Linden Home would make more Linden Land is all it would do.....limit the number of home available to new residents or people wanting a Linden Home.  And that is counter productive.  Increasing the plot size won't do a thing.....unless you mean increasing the prim allowance that goes with a 1024 plot on mainland.  If they do that, then I want my increased prim allowance too (I own a 512 meter plot on mainland).

Nice ideas........all of them.  But doing those seemingly small things are just not quite so easy.  Most of those changes would require a complete restructuring of the SL platform.  And that's not even close to feasible.

Zone some Mainland Regions residential, commercial only
Undermines the value of private estates.  Mainland is the wild wild west.........I like it that way.

lol, your honesty made me laugh

Create task specific Viewers
Sort of same as above.  When I want to build I have to use one viewer and when I want to go dancing another?  I wouldn't like that at all.

You would go into Preferences and select the build tools, when you click apply, it would update your Viewer with those tools.

Develop a server configuration that will redefine the allowed shape of a Region
The shape of a region is a square.  The arbitrary size of 256 meters is just that.  The shape cannot be redefined due to the nature of how server space is devided up.

I was thinking of using the magic or the power of the internet. :smileytongue: Somebody should be working on this. Make a new server, idk, surprise me :smileyvery-happy:

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

Nice idea.  But increasing the size of the plot is moot.  The Linden Home does not sit on a 512 meter plot of land.  It sits on Linden Land and there is no land at all attributed to the Linden Home.  That's why you cannot place anything outside the foot print of the home.  Deleting every other Linden Home would make more Linden Land is all it would do.....limit the number of home available to new residents or people wanting a Linden Home.  And that is counter productive.  Increasing the plot size won't do a thing.....unless you mean increasing the prim allowance that goes with a 1024 plot on mainland.  If they do that, then I want my increased prim allowance too (I own a 512 meter plot on mainland).

Nice ideas........all of them.  But doing those seemingly small things are just not quite so easy.  Most of those changes would require a complete restructuring of the SL platform.  And that's not even close to feasible.

Currently, I think Linden homes serves to get tenants into larger parcels and homes faster than if they started with nothing. Now, they start with something and find out pretty quick that they want more. As a creator of homes and furnishings, the last thing I want to see is people being satisfied with their LL-supplied content.

And, if I remember correctly, when the Linden Home project got launched was the whole idea.  Get the new residents hooked on owning a home and then they would venture out into the grid to buy, rent or otherwise get some land of their own and build their own home.  Making Linden Homes too attractive for them to leave and go to bigger and better is not what the program is designed for.

There will always be the ones who will settle for just a place to "call" home........but the intent is to make the Linden Home a teaser.  I think it's working but I don't know.  It just might turn out to be one of those "entitlement" things society is getting so used to these days.

GothGirl Demonia wrote:

1.2 Maybe Require Phone Number Verification, and require a person to sign up with their First & Last Real Life Name, I hear it so much I forgot may account info I havent play SL for years, I dont remember my name, email, or password how do I get it back. Answer to that is they can't because LL doesn't require any information at all beyond IP, and MAC, and that really isn't helpful.
(Even Google has phone verification.) (OF course maybe require of phone verification is not required, but how about  RL information so that a person can get lost accounts back for example, and Linden Lab can be like hey whats your Real Life name, and can look it up and find the users account, not such a bad idea right?

I am in favour of all your suggestions except for 1.2

Living in a 3rd world country telephony and bandwidth is extremely expensive, a 30 minute phonecall to a US or UK number will cost me more than a years premium subscription, even if it is a toll free number.

It is all good and well we call for beter regulatory practices, but we should also keep in mind the impact it will have from an international perspective, all to often I find that UK and US based online institutions have no concept about the limitations some people face when it comes to interacting with their systems. As it stands now, I as a premium member loose out on half the service offered by the premium package, and that is online/telephonic customer support.  Not sure if anything has changed in the mean time, but the last time I tried to get support online I had to stay awake till 23:00 for the online call centre to open so that I could chat to a live person.....  what a waste of time that was... it took 45 minutes for someone to just say "Hello" and another 65 minutes for that same person to reply to my hello with a "what is the nature of your problem?" after that it was close on 2AM, I eventually gave up and went to bed having reiceived no support at all.... ok done ranting, heehee

Deltango Vale wrote:

@ everyone

There are only six people on Earth who have never given RL information to an online service. Two of them live in a disused Minuteman silo in Idaho, two live in a stone hut on Ascension Island, one circles the globe on a raft and the other has gone missing, presumed lost in the Amazon rainforest. None of these six people has given RL financial information to an online service because none of them has ever been online.

If they've never been online, how do we even know that they exist?

Perrie Juran wrote:

Deltango Vale wrote:

@ everyone

There are only six people on Earth who have never given RL information to an online service. Two of them live in a disused Minuteman silo in Idaho, two live in a stone hut on Ascension Island, one circles the globe on a raft and the other has gone missing, presumed lost in the Amazon rainforest. None of these six people has given RL financial information to an online service because none of them has ever been online.

If they've never been online, how do we even know that they exist?

Spotted on Google Earth?

Sorry TL;DR I don't usually say that but it reads like an insurance document.

I did skim the bold lines. I agree about the first/last name return. I think that was their way to stop accounts being made just for pun sake (although, a lot of those punsters spend a lot of L$ in world later. Some residents like to take good care of their alternates.  ;-)  )

I'm against anything that limits accounts, though. A griefer once in a while is nothing compared to creative freedom and privacy for everyone else.

Jo Yardley wrote:

For instance I get tired of having to start SL up, wait to rez and click myself senseless just to send a message to a group, to check how many prims are available in my region, who is visiting my region, etc, etc.

I hear ya. But on the who visits part. You can buy a visitor counter that will email you how many and unique names per daily visit. It might be laggy and it might not catch display names (I haven't checked for newer products lately) but, you can get that information by email definitely. Just put it in an invisible prim at the landing spot.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:
  • --------------------------------------------
  • Create gender specific Viewers
  • So if I have an alt that is not the same gender as my main, I need a specific viewer to log in.  I guess I could get used to that but I see no advantage.
  • ------------------------------------------
  • Create task specific Viewers
  • Sort of same as above.  When I want to build I have to use one viewer and when I want to go dancing another?  I wouldn't like that at all.

BTW this OP reminds me of the OP in the squatting thread in Mainland General.

I didn't see those parts Peggy commented on and wanted to comment on them also. A gender specific viewer would be met by outrage, rightly so, by transgender or questioning residents. Also, it makes little sense given that many residents like to have an avatar of both/various genders for roleplay or just to get a breath of something different or get some privacy in SL. In other words, useless, intrusive and unnecessary, as well as potentially insulting or excluding. 

The task specific viewer is unwieldy as things currently stand and most people's computers can barely hold or run one viewer. Not everyone has a terrabyte HD or fast computers or wants 10 versions of the same game.

ETA: I now see these were Knowl's ideas, sorry OP. (The OP still reminds me of the other person I mentioned though. Just an idle thought.)

Howdy Melita,

I'm a wild and crazy guy! :smileyvery-happy:

I was only thinking about Random Ideas to improve SL. A Viewer for a specific gender was meant only to add variety, choice and style. (A Woman's Viewer would be popular; I'd bet on it)

The idea of a task specific Viewer is to only load the tools you need, encourage LL to further develop each task viewer, by removing some features we could expand other features.

I'm trying to stay positive. I'm trying to offer as many ideas as possible to help to contribute. If an idea does not include a Group of Residents, we rework the idea so that it does include those Residents. It is extremely unlikely that 1 plan will satisfy all Residents.

This is a tangential add-on thought to Peggy & Deltango etc's conversation.

SL has been static for several years. The way the system is set up limits the amount of traffic it can hold, is laggy and several other things. In the technology world static = death. Progress comes too fast to stand still and stay competitive. From what I understand LL's financial health is not the most robust.

That's point one. The other, related point, is that there is the strong, pervasive belief "out there" that everything on the Internet should be free and free access. This is a lovely notion but a lousy business model. As an example of the problem: traditional print media of newspapers and magazines. Sales are down on the physical product. Expenses are up. Yet when they try to move over to digital they find it difficult to get paid subscribers because of this ingrained belief the public has that Internet = Free content. That was great when it was college drop outs in garages making the computers and colleges were coming up with this cool way to share information. Those days are gone.

Do I want to pay a monthly or yearly fee to LL? No. I don't want to. I also don't want to send money to my cable company or my electric company either! I use LL and would pay for the pleasure if I had to. If I did, I would bitch a lot louder about the lag and aging technology, too! Until I have to, though, I won't pay for it. I spend my Lindens on clothes and land rental.

Ellyn Elan wrote:

.....From what I understand LL's financial health is not the most robust....

$75 million profit last year - Rod Humble speaking at SLCC 2011

I don't know what their turnover figure was or what that $75m is in comparison to previous years nor whether that is operating or net profit, but $75m in this economic climate woiuld certainly point to being robust on the surface at least.

Sy Beck wrote:

Ellyn Elan wrote:

.....From what I understand LL's financial health is not the most robust....

$75 million profit last year -
Rod Humble speaking at SLCC 2011

I don't know what their turnover figure was or what that $75m is in comparison to previous years nor whether that is operating or net profit, but $75m in this economic climate woiuld certainly point to being robust on the surface at least.

That I did not hear. I guess I was listening more to rumors and gossip than profit sheets. Thanks for the info. Yes, a $75 million profit seems healthy, healthy enough that they could be reinvesting into their company to fix the technological issues instead of focusing on the silly things they seem to like to fixate upon. (I'm not an accountant and I know there are plenty of ways to spin numbers but when I hear "profit" I think "net".)

FEET. 

BETTER FEET. 

FEET WITH REAL TOES!

I don't know what all the stuff with new Avatars is but just fix our feet!

If there is any proof that Second Life was designed by men it's our feet!

No woman would have ever stood for the travesty they call feet in Second Life.

No way!

No how!

No, I am not a foot fetish.  But argh, SL feet look horrible!

Most of the problems (griefing, copybotting, content theft) would be dramatically minimized by requiring identification (e.g., by requiring payment info) for all NEW accounts.

LL seems to be pretty committed against this idea, so there's little to be done about the problems.  When actions are not attributable to individuals, there's no way to prevent repeated bad behavior.  There is no technical solution to copybotting.  Policing it properly would be too labor intensive.

Regarding adult status, LL does what it needs to do to cover its legal derriere.  The current system evidently does that.  Don't expect more: it would cause a lot of upset (as the Adult system did when it came into being), would cost LL more, and wouldn't really work anyway.  The current system is a sham, but there's really no foolproof system in place, so we hide behind a sham.

Now, FEET, there's a place where improvement is feasible!

• 4 weeks later...

Jesica Dragovar wrote:

more partnership between well known items, imagine catching a fish in 7seas and being able to add it to a cooking HUD to convert it into food like for Spellfire or something

I don't know much about Spellfire, but this would arguably be possible for custom catches. Probably a great crosspromotion too. I've seen people make custom catchables that double as salvage, weapons in other systems, all sorts of possibilities there.

• 5 months later...

Improvements?

Two words= Prepaid cards!!!

Prepaid cards with 3 different values: $10, $20, $30.

Good Reasons to sell Prepaid Cards:

Not everyone has access to a credit card.

Not everyone is willing to put their credit card on the internet.

Not everyone has the time to attend a job on Second Life.

If they sell prepaid cards they will most likely make more money because they can attract a crowd  similar to the above groups of people that I have mentioned!

as a company linden have decided to diversify their product lines by making other products in addition to sl

from their pov as a business competing in the ever crowded online entertainment industry, it makes sense

+

main upside

if linden are successful with the other products then will be better for the company, and us (SL) as well

+

main downside

risk to us (SL) is if those other products turn out to be unprofitable for linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.