Business Idea - Fashion industry

Angus Horsforth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ive been around SL for about 5 years now, and when I shop in SL, I dont want to fly around sims looking for the clothes,skins and hair I want, so I came up with the idea of a one stop shop. A profit sharing business couple with content creators for high end fashion. Revenue split for a small percentage for the owner, and the rest to the content creators (10-15%) but the content creators pay no rent or pay for any advertising. This will be paid for by the business owner.

This will decrease costs to the content creators while having the opportunity to still sell their goods in  a high traffic are. Profit sharing systems, location etc still to be negotiated, at the moment I am just looking for some signs of interest from designers and the possibility of other investors.

thanks,
Angus.

Angus, what you've described is more like a mall with you using creators affiliate vendors.  I'm all for supporting ideas but I can't see the USPs that are going to distinguish this from a mall.

You could say "you'll have high end content" but it's subjective and not unique enough.  I'm more than happy to visit the shops of those high end creators when I want something or i'll browse if I happen to see them out in a mall, which some already do.

Advertising is not easy when you're looking to bring people to one location either, you'll really have to work hard on those USP's in that area.

When a mall owner sends me a rent invite, i'll usually respond back with a number of questions including "Who are your vistiors, why do they visit, what makes your location unique amongst all others that are similar?  What's the real traffic?  Is the design regularly changed, the landing point moved?  How do you promote the mall and vendors and what will you do to increase my sales?"

Some have replied with "huh?" which implies that they haven't thought through their objectives and if those can't be answered coherently, it's probably worth re-thinking the aim.

New malls (the best in SL with an attached club, splodder, meeroos, horse auction, <insert whatever other expected gimmick you choose>) will usually be offered affiliate vendors anyway where the risk on land payment remains with the mall owner.

So you see, one stop shop/mall, other than the build and environment, the concept remains the same.

I hate sounding negative towards ideas, if you don't try you're guaranteed to never succeed but convince me... (that's only an invite for discussion of course, you don't have to do anything at all :) If you want to and don't want to discuss in public, you're welcome to IM me, I enjoy a good business oriented chat)

I wish to provide high fashion clothing/skins/hair in a unique style of a New York loft space. Target audience is obviously high volume shoppers, but also including high fashion menswear I hope to bring in a market that I havent really seen in SL before. Most high fashion stores are simply gender specific, by combining these I hope to attract partners shopping together, and save them time.

When I had Club Jenna Islands, we had this.  Our primary sim had 22-25k visits a day, good traffic by any standard and we attracted the best of the best as our core merchant base.  We could since it was by invite only due to the payment model and there was no risk involved.

I felt you could go to our downtown sim, shop much like you would in Midtown Manhattan and find some of the best SL had to offer.

It worked but only in part.  At the entrance of every store each merchant took it upon themselves to place a "Visit our Mainstore" landmark giver. A common practice in all rentals but looking back, should have been a banned practice on ours.

What most customers did was window shop, then go to the mainstores of the ones they liked meaning the sale was made on another sim where I did not benefit from the rev share.

Just some thoughts to consider.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.