Estate Land for Sale or Rent -- what is the difference?

Elric Anatine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am about to finally list a few estate parcels the community I belong has available.  We DO make a distinction between ownership and rent via benefits BUT those are community benefits.

I am left wondering... what, in accordance with the Forums here, is the difference between the subforums of:

• Estate Land for Sale and
  • Estate Land for Rent?

Apologies for sounding so naive.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers.

My assumption from my own experiences on having estate homes is that if you "sell" to me, I get estate manager rights and my name is listed as the owner of the parcel. If you "rent" to me, you may give me some rights like terraforming, but I do not get the full ownership rights. 

Actually the main difference is that if you rent, you do not have the ability to sell the land to another person.  Whereas if you buy land, you can generally decide to sell it when you no longer want or need it, either to another person or to the estate in some cases.   At one time, people bought land and could sell it for more than they paid for it and make a profit much as you can in RL.  But unless you live in a high demand estate this is hardly the case anymore. 

The right to control all aspects oft the land through the land management tools is generally given to people who buy land subject to any restrictions in the covenant. Whereas renters may or may not have all the same controls on the land they rent..

Estate manager rights are generally given only to people who rent OR buy an entire sim from a private owner, whether it be a full sim or homestead.  However this isn't always the case, depending on how an estate is set up or the owner feels about it.  Mainland is different.  No one has estate rights on the mainland even if you own an entire sim.  The estate rights vest solely in the LIndens.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.