Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Hird

Does an "A 18+ Restricted" mark make sense?

I have - ok, shamelessly adapted the Australian "R 18+ Restricted" marking to be a "A 18+ Restricted" marking for use as a visual clue that locations have an Adult rated restriction.

A18-restricted.png

I have use it in a poster for Zindra Alliance that is supposed to be able to fly in both M and A regions (maybe even G regions), where the poster in itself does not contain any adult or even mature content, but the marking gives the viewer a clue to that there are restrictions to get to the location in the same manner as there are restrictions for certain movies. 

The question is, is this a tolerable way of marking Adult destinations in M and G regions, and would people find it usefull to have such a mark available for general use?

Enclosed is the poster that has the mark embedded as part of the design.

2011 Zindra Nights.png

May I ask, why did you choose not to use the words "Adult Restricted" or something closer to the age restrictions used by Second Life? Although your 18 plus sign makes sense to me, I would have thought that it would be easier for all residents to adopt the Second Life rankings.

Basically to get a more compact mark, and I believe the A – short for adult is used in the viewer in the General tab of Preferences.

A in General tab

@Daz...the poster does include the letter "A" and the word "Restricted"

Not too far off of LL's interpretation.

@Gavin...in the days of people seemingly gloss over wording, I think it's eye-catching. Definitely draws the attention to what you want to convey :)

Seems to me like it means that you're restricted if you're 18+. <18 Restricted would be better, except that 99% of people confuse < & >. Why not just say "Adult only," if that's what you mean?

Jeanne

Adult only needs a context. Remember that in many countries adult does not mean 18 years old.

So the reason for 18 is that that is simply the cross-over point when people (after confirmation) can set in their viewers that they want to access adult content. 

I suppose the + is simply something that is now commonly understood as "18 or older". 

EDIT:

The other point about the word adult is that it is often seen as "adult sex", whereas LL's definition of what must be in A regions also includes violence that is not sexual in nature. So a mark without the word adult, would be generally more all inclusive of the content in these regions as per LL's policy definition. 

While I agree "Adult only needs a context," isn't the context obviously that of SL?   And wouldn't that be best indicated (to people to whom the word "Zindra" isn't a bit of a give-away, that is) by using SL's own indicator Parcel_lght_A (1).png rather than confusing the issue with Australian movie classifications?

I like the poster but I'm not wholly sure what the classification mark adds to it other than as an element of the graphic design.

To a new resident in a global audience "adult" is not necessarily understood in the context of SL. For a native English speaking audience adult will possibly be understood to be sexual content – but even this is not consistent with LL's policy definition.

For my native language "adult" does not translate to any word that means a sexual context, but simply means having reached the age where you get certain civil rights and responsibilities. This is possible the common way of understanding the word throughout. 

I therefore feel that, the words 18+ and Restricted adds important context to the A(dult) that is open for misunderstanding. 

Even within LL's own policy definition of Adult, there is significant room for misunderstanding, because their definition includes non sexual content that would never be called "an adult movie" or "adult activities" in the English language. 

Personally, I therefore feel that Restricted would be a much better word to describe what we currently call Adult content (as per the policy definition.) 

Being pragmatic, my suggestion is to use the A (consistent with the LL viewer), in combination with information that makes it clearer to an audience where the word adult has a different meaning or is ambiguous. 

... and yes, it added to the graphic design of this poster ;-)

I think what is getting missed here is that adult sims you not only have an age minimum but that age has to be verified.

"Age Verified Required" is more pertinent to this.

True, but the only verification you need to do is to punch in a date on the website giving you an age older than 18 years. It is really just a self assessment for the honest soul. 

I'm maybe missing the point, but I see it this way.   Most people encountering your poster will know perfectly well what -- in the context of SL, which is where they're encountering it -- a white A on a red square signifies, whether or not it appears in conjunction with the word Zindra, so there's no need to worry about them being confused.

That leaves new residents who come across your poster before they've found out about search and maturity ratings.   Well, in that case, since you're asking them to click the poster to obtain a directory (as opposed to be teleported to Zindra), why not start the directory by saying, "to access any of these destinations in Zindra you'll need to have verified yourself as an Adult and set your viewer preferences accordingly -- that's what the little A in the red box means; you'll be seeing that in search quite a bit -- and this is how you do it"?  

But it's a nice poster, and I guess it won't leave anyone any more confused than they might have been before they saw it.

Gavin Hird wrote:

True, but the only verification you need to do is to punch in a date on the website giving you an age older than 18 years. It is really just a self assessment for the honest soul. 

This being the case, why even have an age restriction? You never know when a kid might be lying about their age, anyway. Or be honest and say something like, "I really don't care how old you are in RL so long as you say you are 18+ so that I can use that as a defense if I ever get sued for exposing a minor to adult content over the internet"? Isn't this what's really going on with age restriction disclaimers?

Jeanne

It is supposed to be "industry standard", so, yes, the verification does not mean squat when it comes to it. – Apart from a legal standpoint for the Lab. 

Gavin Hird wrote:

It is supposed to be "industry standard", so, yes, the verification does not mean squat when it comes to it. – Apart from a legal standpoint for the Lab. 

:smileywink: Thanks for you honesty Gavin.

jeanne

The discussion is not about the poster, but if there is a need for a mark that can be used to identify adult regions or events to an audience that has not gone through the hoops of "age verifying" or setting the appropriate prefs in their viewer.

If not, then these elements of SL is more or less doomed to "preach to the quire"  in that they can only market effectively to those who already have "verified".

I believe we could see more inspired marketing both of venues and events if there was a safe way to communicate they fall in the category adult (or Mature for that sake) without being explicit. –  Sort of like we do when we in RL accept to see a R rated movie poster or game next to a cartoon movie for 7 year olds.  Or we at SL birthday events are forced to water down anything adult regions to PG with maybe a LM giver hidden in the back. 

Gavin Hird wrote:

The discussion is not about the poster, but if there is a need for a mark that can be used to identify adult regions or events to an audience that has not gone through the hoops of "age verifying" or setting the appropriate prefs in their viewer.

If not, then these elements of SL is more or less doomed to "preach to the quire"  in that they can only market effectively to those who already have "verified".

I believe we could see more inspired marketing both of venues and events if there was a safe way to communicate they fall in the category adult (or Mature for that sake) without being explicit. –  Sort of like we do when we in RL accept to see a R rated movie poster or game next to a cartoon movie for 7 year olds.  Or we at SL birthday events are forced to water down anything adult regions to PG with maybe a LM giver hidden in the back. 

I think you are conflating two points.   There's already way of communicating if an event or location falls into the Adult or Mature category -- LL use it in search, by sticking little icons saying A or M or G next to things.   You seem to be saying that some people who don't know what these little icons mean will be less confused (at least about Adult stuff) by your icon.   Maybe they will, maybe they won't. 

But, whatever icon you stick on something -- LL's little A or your rather larger Australian symbol -- if you're displaying something on G rated land, then the graphics and text on display have to be G rated, whatever symbol you put on them, don't they?     I don't see that putting your symbol or LL's on your poster affects whether or not it could be displayed at an SL Birthday event.   Or am I misunderstanding something?

Yes, you misunderstand something ;-)

This is not intended for search, but for visual communication. 

At the practical level, it means you can create a campaign poster or visual, or an event booth, using a creative expression that is suitable for display even in a G region, and at the same time, in a clear manner communicate that this event or venue is rated A or M. 

The reason why there is a need for this, is that a very large section of the SL residents never bothered to age verify, and therefore never will see the A in search. 

It will be a mechanism to help rebalance the market – an enormous imbalance that was created by LL when they failed to enforce their own policies, leaving massive amounts of A content in M regions and to a certain extent also in G. 

I believe LL too sees a need to rebalance the market by slowly putting A content into the Destination Guide, but this mechanism both has limited bandwidth and is disciminatory as it is subject to LL approval. 

Having a standard mechanism for indicating maturity levels in visuals and communication that cannot be searched would be complementary to what you see in search results. 

Looks like a reasonable approach to me, but I would never place ads or promotional materials for M or A rated areas in a G-rated sim, no matter how clean and innocuous the ad content itself is. That's like advertising a wet t-shirt contest at a middle school. Completely inappropriate for the audiance.

Anyone who is old enough to attend an Adults-only event would be able to encounter the posters in the M and A-rated sims, and would not need to see them in a G-rated sim. 

The 16 and 17 year olds who are restricted to the G-rated sims shouldn't even be made aware of the Adult events. It just tempts them to lie about their age and go to the events anyway.

JeanneAnne wrote:

This being the case, why even have an age restriction? You never know when a kid might be lying about their age, anyway. Or be honest and say something like, "I really don't care how old you are in RL so long as you
say
you are 18+ so that I can use that as a defense if I ever get sued for exposing a minor to adult content over the internet"? Isn't this what's really going on with age restriction disclaimers?

Jeanne

Such cynicism!

I think, on principle, it's still best to use the red LL "A" icon, adding the explanatory text about "18+ Restricted" if you really think that's necessary, rather than potentially confusing the issue by having two different icons, yours and LL's, which in fact mean identical things.

I'm not sure about Ceera's point.   Why is it any more objectionable for 16 -- 17 year olds to see adverts for A-rated regions and events in SL than it is for them, in RL, to see in newspapers or on posters adverts for movies they're not allowed to watch, or alcohol they're not allowed to drink?

I used to give away a mature content warning sign and later an adult content warning sign in various sizes. A whole lot of people grabbed the signs so there does seem to be interest in such a mark. Could be used on product ads as well.

Gavin Hird wrote:

yes, because it's merely a CYA exercise from LL.

(Cover your ass) if it wasn't clear.  LL doesn't need to care as long as they've exercised reasonable diligence and in outsourcing that to a 3rd party they've doubly CYA'd.