Rigging non human shapes

Reterek Rau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

is it possible to rig non human shapes effectivly using the entire skeleton and changing joint positions? I have been teaching myself how to model in blender and i made a simple shape with hands a feet but when i put the joints where i thought they should be my mesh looked fine in the preview but when i uploaded and wore it it seemed super deformed i so changed the wieght paint around thinking i understood it and now his head is caved in lol. what would be the best way to go about rigging this shape should the feet just be attach to the  upper legs? hopefully someone understands my messy question sorry lol also its suppposed to be about up to the knee of the original avatar but im not quite sure how

to keep the size i want either. im starting to think maybe i should stick to the human shape to build an avatar

The reason it looks scrunched in-world is because the in-world avatar skeleton doesn't know that you moved the bones in your modeling program.  All it knows is where the various vertices of the mesh are supposed to be, in relation to each bone.  So, when you expanded the distance between the joints in your modeling program, you effectively preset your model to squish when it was brought into SL.

For rigging in general, you never have to alter an existing skeleton, just to make a disporportionate mesh work with it.  Any given bone can drive any part of the mesh, whether that part is right next to it, or a hundred miles away.

So, for example you don't need the skeleton's elbow to be physically inside the mesh's elbow, to make them both bend in unison. Take a look at this rigged model, which I just whipped up now.  It's got a mesh shape similar to yours, and utilizes the (unaltered) default skeleton:

offsetRig1.jpg

This guy can walk, even though the skeleton's legs are not inside the mesh's legs.  He can wave hello, even though the skeleton's arm is buried deep inside the mesh's trunk/head, rather than inside the actual arm area.

The reason this works is because I set the bone weights myself.  I didn't let the program just bind by proximity, or by any pre-existing weight maps.  I painted the weights for each bone directly onto the surface, and then I further refined the mathematical values afterward, to clean up any painting mishaps.

We're not dealing with real anatomy here, so there's no reason to care about physical proximity between bones and skin.  All that matters are the weight values that relate each vertex to each joint.  As the joint rotates, the influenced vertices move to match the new orientation, no matter how far away they are.

That said, I seem to recall hearing that joint offsets are a little borked right now in SL.  Not sure, though, since I really haven't played with it all that much yet.  No doubt someone more in the know can chime in on this.  It might well be that whoever said it just didn't understand what they were looking at.

• Like 2

thank you your reply was really helpfull for me to further understand this. With the feet would i just select the foot vertex group and weight paint em and not worrie about assigning paint to the leg vertex groups and is there anyway to make him smaller then the default avatar

I'd suggest weighting the feet 100% to the skeleton's ankle and foot bones, so that the feet appear to move correctly with walk animations.  You may also want to weight some of the lower body area partially to the leg bones, so that it won't appear that the feet are simply moving on their own, without some part of the body pulling and pushing on them to make them move.  But that's really an aesthetic thing, totally up to you.

Also, you might want to use your own walk animation, rather than the default one.  But you probably realize that already.

• 4 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.