What do I need to do to get my proxy server to allow Second Life?

ScottyPaul Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Are you telling us that your university IT department doesn't know how to allow access to SL (or any other "blocked" Internet domain)?  That's pretty hard for me to believe..........I'm sorry, that just is a little too much for me to believe.  Universities, many businesses, and some public wifi hotspots block high bandwidth programs and sites like Second Life.  They do that on purpose..........they have reasons. 

If you are, instead, looking for a way around your IT's block there are ways.  I'm not going to offer any advice but someone here might.  Remember, though, you are circumventing a policy that was put in place for a reason.  You mentioned that you need access to SL for your work.........if that were really the case, your IT department would not block your access.  You don't need SL for work..........you want SL while at work.  There's a big difference.  Talk to your IT (I mean really do this time).  Perhaps you did talk to them and didn't get the answer you wanted?  Whatever.  Remember, going around a network policy for an network you do not own is dishonest........and if caught, you probably will suffer some sort of unpleasant consequence (as you should).  And another note..........in all likihood your IT department will pick up on the huge jump in bandwidth used quickly and it will be traced it to your terminal and you'll be busted.

2 answers to this question

Are you telling us that your university IT department doesn't know how to allow access to SL (or any other "blocked" Internet domain)?  That's pretty hard for me to believe..........I'm sorry, that just is a little too much for me to believe.  Universities, many businesses, and some public wifi hotspots block high bandwidth programs and sites like Second Life.  They do that on purpose..........they have reasons. 

If you are, instead, looking for a way around your IT's block there are ways.  I'm not going to offer any advice but someone here might.  Remember, though, you are circumventing a policy that was put in place for a reason.  You mentioned that you need access to SL for your work.........if that were really the case, your IT department would not block your access.  You don't need SL for work..........you want SL while at work.  There's a big difference.  Talk to your IT (I mean really do this time).  Perhaps you did talk to them and didn't get the answer you wanted?  Whatever.  Remember, going around a network policy for an network you do not own is dishonest........and if caught, you probably will suffer some sort of unpleasant consequence (as you should).  And another note..........in all likihood your IT department will pick up on the huge jump in bandwidth used quickly and it will be traced it to your terminal and you'll be busted.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.