SL Viewer shutdown?

Ricky Zhichao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am getting enough now and ready to leave sl soon and one reason sure now my viewer. Yesterday I was forced to update it and I couldnt see any sidebars but oldfashioned windows all over the screen like with old viewer. And then I reorganised them twice because after crash I lost all changes.

Today again forced update, and now sidebars disappeared still but also everyting else disappeared. totally empty environment except menus. whats going on? Cant also see any blog info about this big changes.

And any phoenix third party viewer is not an answer. Its already seen how easy its nowadays make copybot viewers because viewer is made open source. Just today someone did show how somebody in sl makes full perm copies of whatever you want, and of course Linden lab cant do anything and they forward it to dmca. It was once done for ONE item and never even got any answer. Worthless.

Not problem for me, I can just quit SL but for many else it can be and is pain. 

Goodbye?

It seems several people are encountering (incompatibility?) problems with the latest update of the official viewer. 

I use Phoenix, happily, but as you are dead set against it, of course I won't recommend this to you.

Instead, you need to consider perhaps reverting to an older version of the official viewer.

Links to be found here...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

"And any phoenix third party viewer is not an answer."

Sorry that you are having trouble, Ricky.

Seems like there are a number of similar complaints associated with recent releases, not the least of which is the 'Automatic Upgrade' feature.  More than likely, it's a workthrough on LL's part leading up to the next official release.

What makes you so certain that Phoenix (and I assume Firestorm as well) are inherently 'dangerous/copybot-ridden'?

Just askin'. 

And when you revert to the older version of the viewer, as Marigold suggests, be sure to go to Preferences (CTRL + P) >> Setup and UNcheck the box that authorizes automatic updates.  There is no such thing as a "forced" update.  Automatic updates are the default, but it's always your choice whether to accept the default or turn it off.

Oz, some people (like me) would gladly use the "normal" release Viewer, unfortunatly that is a bit problematic if it  ALLWAYS crashes at Startup :(

The new Dev-Built (3.2.1 (243792)) is the first of the new UI-Viewers (or any with a 3 in front) i can actually use at all!

Please see to it, that whatever fix was included in that Built, makes its way into the regular one, so that it is possible to at least log-in! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.