Help changing clothes please

Sylvia Starship

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I'm scared to change my clothes and look cos the last time I did it I couldn't find what I had on before and had to search through my inventory and attach everything again but I couldn't remember the wierd names for everything.  Is there any way I can try a new look but if I don't like it, just click on something to revert back to my old look?  I don't know my way round yet as I'm quite new.

Thanks

Hi Sylvia and welcome to the Forum!

If you use V3 or Firestorm viewer, you have the ability to create outfits (complete with skin, hair, eyes, and all the clothing you would wear).  Here is a description of making an outfit from the Firestorm wiki.

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=my_outfits_tab

By creating outfits, you can quickly go from one to another.

Hi Sylvia, welcome aboard.

You can create "Outfits", which are named collections of things to wear. When you are dressed the way you like, edit your appearance (right click on yourself and select "Edit Appearance". From the resulting window, select "Edit Outfit". You see a list of the things you are wearing. Select "Save As" from the bottom of the window and supply a name for the outfit that's easy for you to remember. You'll see a folder with that name appear in the "Outfits" section of your inventory. You can manually delete things in the outfits by opening the folder and tossing what you no longer want in the outfit. Notice that things in outfit folders are described as either being links to things elsewhere in your inventory (which is how the Save As function creates outfits) or as the things themselves (you can copy/move actual inventory items into outfit folders, and there may be a reason to do that, but leave that for later).

Similarly, you can manually add things to an outfit by copying something from inventory (right click and select "copy") then selecting the outfit folder and right clicking "Paste as link". You can copy links to no-copy items in inventory and paste them into an outfit, which greatly increases the usefullness of no-copy clothing items.

Sylvia Starship wrote:

Thanks - I've got outfits, I like what I'm wearing at the moment, but would like to be able to wear something for Halloween but not lose what I'm wearing now - is there any way I can 'save' the look and just put it all back on in one go afterwards?

The "Outfit" function does that, Sylvia. It will replace everything you are wearing with everything in the outfit folder, returning you to the look you had when you saved the outfit.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Hi Sylvia, welcome aboard.

You can create "Outfits", which are named collections of things to wear. When you are dressed the way you like, edit your appearance (right click on yourself and select "Edit Appearance". From the resulting window, select "Edit Outfit". You see a list of the things you are wearing. Select "Save As" from the bottom of the window and supply a name for the outfit that's easy for you to remember. You'll see a folder with that name appear in the "Outfits" section of your inventory. You can manually delete things in the outfits by opening the folder and tossing what you no longer want in the outfit. Notice that things in outfit folders are described as either being links to things elsewhere in your inventory (which is how the Save As function creates outfits) or as the things themselves (you can copy/move actual inventory items into outfit folders, and there may be a reason to do that, but leave that for later).

Similarly, you can manually add things to an outfit by copying something from inventory (right click and select "copy") then selecting the outfit folder and right clicking "Paste as link". You can copy links to no-copy items in inventory and paste them into an outfit, which greatly increases the usefullness of no-copy clothing items.

^ This ^...I always keep something complete on hand in case there is a wardrobe malfunction :matte-motes-silly:

Hi Sylvia :)

One suggestion I'd add is that you should come up w/ a system for naming your outfits & dating them, when you 'save as.' For instance: "dance outfit 10-26-11." Otherwise, you'll end up w/ a bunch of outfits like: ______(new)(new)(new)(new)(new)...... and you won't be able to remember what they are. 

Jeanne

Yes, it was in my prior post.  Make outfits using the icon at the bottom toolbar.  Click on the shirt icon, a box pops open and you can save what you are wearing by naming it.  Do the same for each outfit.  This is all in the wiki link I posted.

I guess I do not understand your question.  You can put on your Halloween stuff and click the Outfit icon to make the outfit. Once you do that, all you have to do is click the folder and 'Replace Outfit' and voila.

Sylvia Starship wrote:

btw - how can I tell what viewer I'm using? Sorry I'm not very good at this am I? lol

Sylvia, we all started out like you, don't worry about it. If you downloaded your viewer from the SL website recently, you are probably running V3. You'll see the version number on screen after launch and before you click "Log In". Before launching, you can right click on the application icon and either "Get Info" (Mac) or "Properties" I think (Windows).

Hello Sylvia. The "secret" is to learn and understand completely to use the commands "Save" and "Save as". They work same as in all applications like for example when you save a document in MS Word. When you change clothes or just you remove or something in your appearance you can use the "Save as" to save the new outfit or the outfit with the last changes as a new outfit with a different name. For example you have the outfit "Sylvia", saved in your inventory. You make 2-3 changes. With "Save as" you save them in another new outfit with the name "Sylvia New" or different. That means with simple words that the previous outfit called "Sylvia" continues to exist in your intentory and same time you have the new outfit "Sylvia new" with the changes. On the other side if you make changes in your appearance and you use the command "Save", you save permanently the new changes in the same outfit and in fact you lose your previous look (without the changes). Summary: When you create a new outfit you use always the command "Save as" and you save it with a new name. I repeat this doesn't affect the previous outfit. When you want to to make 1-2 changes and keep you use "Save". Save means that you lose all previous settings.

Sylvia Starship wrote:

btw - how can I tell what viewer I'm using? Sorry I'm not very good at this am I? lol

Sylvia, it doesn't matter what viewer you're using.  

ALL of the Linden Lab and third party viewers, have the ability to make outfits, that are saved into folders.  The outfit folders will contain whatever you're wearing at that time you made the folder.  (on some viewers you may need to select the items shown in the make-outfit section of editing your appearance to ensure all attachments are added)  

I'm just waiting for one of the males to come in here and offer to come inworld to "help."

:matte-motes-evil-invert:

PS. No worries about not being so good at this yet. Like someone said, we all started out like this and soon you'll be a fashionista. We all have stories about how we walked around in some form of dis-dress, like wearing boxes on our arms, losing things, having a shoe coming out of your tummy, we've all done it.

thank you and yes I do understand the difference between save and save as.  the thing is, i cant see the version im using, ive tried right clicking the icon before i click it but all it does is tell me its a shortcut and about that, then when i go on 2nd life, there is nothing telling me what version im using, its just a picture of 2nd life and the login at the bottom, im confused!

Sylvia Starship wrote:

thank you and yes I do understand the difference between save and save as.  the thing is, i cant see the version im using, ive tried right clicking the icon before i click it but all it does is tell me its a shortcut and about that, then when i go on 2nd life, there is nothing telling me what version im using, its just a picture of 2nd life and the login at the bottom, im confused!

You can see the version you are using with Menu Help --> About Second Life.

Sylvia,

I think it would be more helpful to you if you looked over the information in the link that I posted earlier in the thread.  Once you have read it over and tried to do it once or twice, then come back and let us know if you have questions.  Right now it is like the blind (us) leading the blind (you).

yes I am looking at your link about appearance, the only trouble is, when I click on my avatar and go to appearance, the box looks absolutely nothing like in the link you sent, it's just letting me change my arm and leg sizes, face shape, changing the clothes I've actually got on to be wider, shorter etc - it's just so different to the link appearance box!  I'll keep trying though.  Thank you for your patience! :)

Sylvia Starship wrote:

ive just gone into help menu about 2nd life and it's just really technical stuff which ive no clue about and i cant copy n paste it to show you, it doesnt help me im afraid - I don't have anything called appearance bottom right just my inventory! oh dear

Right at the very top of "Help About" it should say something like "Second Life 3.2.0 (243350) Oct 18 2011 19:05:59 (Second Life Beta Viewer)" -- ignore the rest; just see if you can find something like that.    Then you should be able to select, copy and paste it as you would any text.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.