Second Life freezes my modem

JC Sandial

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have my iMac directly connected to a SpeedStream DSL modem. I am running Mac OSX 10.7.2, tho this problem first appeared back in June. My workaround since then was to use my laptop as a wireless router. The laptop failed today.

I run Second Life. It launches normally. I log in. The Downloading clothes step takes longer than it used to. I see the white blob where my avatar would be. I can't move. I hear the local sound effects. I see notification of which friends are online. About this time the Second Life screen becomes monochrome and tells me that I've been logged out. NOTHING else on my computer can access the internet until I restart the DSL modem.

i try to contact the modem directly at 192.168.0.1 after Second Life had gone monochrome. Safari was not able to pull up the configuration page. Power cycling the modem restores normal connectivity.

The following viewers have this problem on my computer:

• Second Life version 2.8.3.238392
  • Second Life version 3.2.0.243350
  • Firestorm version 3.0.1.22566

The following viewers do not have this problem on my computer:

• Imprudence Experimental 2010.09.04
  • Phoenix Viewer version 1.5.2 (1185)

16 May 2012

The problem is gone since I added a "router-hub-wireless access point" between the DSL modem and the iMac.

1 answer to this question

Strange indeed, unless you are using a wireless connection. V2, V3 and Firestorm require much bandwith and it is highly recommended to use a regular cable.

As for connecting to 192.168.0.1, give a try with Firefox or Google Chrome instead of Safari. You may also have to add the following DNS address to your TCP/IP settings and see if that helps:

Add both. It did the trick for me.

As a last resort, you may have to do a clean reinstall of the viewers (try first with only one of them):

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=clean_reinstall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.