Sign in to follow this  
Carola Conover

Some thoughts about BDSM products

I hope this is still PG enough...

Here are some thoughts about enhancing BDSM products, especially toys (attachments and devices).
Some of these devices are intended to be somewhat painful, and yes, they DO look nasty!
BUT...
sitting on them, and you can relax and watch the "cruel" scene happening, or you have some attachments on your body, and all you do is emote (if at all!) "oww, this hurts!".

How can this be avoided or... "enhanced"?
Some kind of "pain-meter" would be nice.
For example, you have some weights attached to your body (just pick a place where it would hurt). What would happen when you walk or move? It would hurt more! So the pain-meter increases. Standing still would perhaps reduce the pain (ok ok... not really that realistic, but it should still be fun).
What happens when you ignore your pain-meter?

You start to walk slower.
Still walking on? OK, let it become difficult for you to speak. For example, only be able to whisper.
You are the tough guy? Ok, now your vision starts to get blurry, perhaps making it impossible for you to walk on (on your own, of course, you could still be dragged along on a leash)..

Reducing the pain on the meter should take time. The more pain, the longer it should need to reduce the pain.

Maybe something like this:

|----------------|------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------------|
  walking slower                    only whisper                            blurry vision

Of course, this only applies for attachments. Walking slower when you are sitting or laying on some evil device doesn't make much sense. But instead of that, something else could make the live a bit harder for you. And instead of standing still, to reduce your pain-meter, you could have to click on the device, or hit some keys, to labour your pain away.

Maybe some creators could think of this, if they don't know what to build/script next :matte-motes-big-grin:

There actually is or there has been with some of the Dolce stuff I've seen.  If a SIm is damage enabled, you use the built in health meter. These can also be set with an attached meter.  These can be scripted to set limits or pain thresholds, whatever.

I've seen many of these devices in the past but to be honest, I think SL has settled down a lot over the past few years or so in that the really hard core stuff is gone where it is now pretty much all about getting laid.  (Can I say Laid here?)

• Like 1

You may want to look into the Sensations system.  I don't know how much it's used, but it does much of what you describe (and some other things; it's not only about pain).  As an example, I used to sell a device that increased the amount of Sensations "pain" inflicted on the wearer when they "struggled" with their bindings.

One bit of disambiguation: "Sensations" is a brand name for certain products that use this system, but it's also a documented protocol that scripts can use to communicate about such things.  

Oh yes, you're right! I forgot the Sensations System. It had (or still has) some other "sensations" as well...

My focus is still somewehre else, more about the outcome. Yes, of course, if damage is enabled in a sim, you can see what "pain" does to you, including sending you home (yay...)

But there is still no impact to your actual Second Life experience. With the functions of RLV, someone could at last simulate some of this impacts, and that is something, i haven't found anywhere so far

I've thought about this one off and on over the years, and even made a few aborted attempts at designing such a system. 

There are two problems I I keep running into each time.  First is that people do not percive 'pain' in the same way.  The line between fun and hurt is different for each individual and even for that individual depends on mood.  This problem at least can be solved with some configuration and mood toggles.  It does however mean a more complex system than the usual customer cares about.

Problem Two: eventually people always end up wanting to attach this feedback to "parts"  This means either going to the effort of making a line of 'parts', or trying to tap into the often rather obfuscated communication systems existing 'parts' use.

I don't know, maybe I'm being to much of a perfectionist with the whole deal.  If something much less elaborate would still make people happy, I might make another stab at designing an open system for it.

Ideally what there would need to be would be some sort of integrated standard which various pieces of furniture or attachments could use to speak to a hud item that controls these things. There are already a few of these for stimulation, but they all rely on proprietary components and a restrictive API. An open and public system which manages both pain and pleasure, without being attached to some other gimick would be ideal.

The problem though is not really the actual hud or device, or even adding a variety of settings. The problem is getting other content creators to use your standard for their products. If there isn't anything that transmits information to the device, people won't have a reason to use it. Even then, it would only work with those few things, while emotes work with everything.

Hmm. The Sensations protocol is pretty much open.  Enough is public that it would be pretty trivial to reverse-engineer the Sensations HUD and open source the result.   Really, there are only a few details -- decay constants and the like -- that one would need in order to emulate the behavior reasonably precisely.  If that's not important, there's really no reverse-engineering required: I think it's all specified openly.

I'm not sure how the original creator(s) would feel about that.  I just don't know anything about their current business focus. Wouldn't hurt to ask, I suppose.  I think, if I put myself in their position, I'd want my products to win marketshare by virtue of being compatible with more stuff... even at some cost to the value of the HUD itself as a product.

It would kind of suck for everybody to invent a whole different protocol to do much the same thing.

Well, ideally, with an open sourced project. All the furniture would use the same messages, so multiple varieties of huds could work regardless of how they use those messages. Right now there is Sensations, Xcite, and a few other minor ones without any common communication. As the furniture that uses one of these usually doesn't use the other, there isn't much consistency.

For something like this to work, not only would the API have to be open, but so would the scripting and hud to a reasonable extent (like Open Collar). The reason being much as you mentioned, people would want their own way of handling messages. The hud really isn't important. What is important is that there are bits of furniture or attachments that talk to the channels the hud uses (like relays). But that is also the problem with any such system. You can't make it work with all furniture or attachments regardless how much market saturation you have for one protocol or another.

Emoting and text however works with everything, and more importantly comes from the actual user instead of some script. I'm reminded of an instance where someone had one of their hidden, locked vibrators turned on while on a M sim in a store by one of those random click-happy types. They were clearly (violently) unhappy about this despite the scripted voices and sound effects which were being produced by the vibrator's script. Although it was probably this person's fault for leaving it exposed in public, it does prove a point that occasionally scripted elements can be contrary to reality. Meanwhile emotes usually always reflect some hint of the situation.

Emoting is also a less lazy way of playing out a scene. I would much rather have a real person tell me how good such-and-such supposedly feels, than some object.

Oh, I quite agree. Scripted emotes are not very effective turn-ons.*  

Indeed, I read the OP to be exploring ways to replace or augment scripted emotes with other effects that alter the experience of running the affected avatar, and/or change the appearance and behavior of that avatar as observed by others.

So, yeah, there's a larger topic here than the protocol issues.  It's about new ways to "feel" our avatars' experiences, and to expose those feelings.  

Huge topic, that.  Massive profit potential for anybody who makes real progress.

* That's true whether the script is one the sim executes or the sort of script that a participant recites. When I combine the two--reciting LSL scripts as emotes--it rarely has the desired effect.. Too kinky, I guess.

Qie Niangao wrote:

* That's true whether the script is one the sim executes or the sort of script that a participant recites. When I combine the two--reciting LSL scripts as emotes--it rarely has the desired effect.. Too kinky, I guess.

The BDSM of LSL, llGetKey and llTake Controls!