for a squatting option, in some abandonned land

BornToObey Sideshow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The moment you have the landowner's permission, you're not squatting. There are plenty of pieces of land where the owner doesn't log in anymore and autoreturn isn't set. If you wanted to squat, you could.

But you're talking about something else here: renting land, where the fee is not paid with money. And that's the issue, because what you're offering in exchange for getting land and prims is not valuable. A private house with a person inside is not a community-builder. It doesn't make an area alive, bring in visitors or provide something for visitors to do/see. The land is better off empty, as at least it doesn't add to the sim load.

If you have a solid idea of something you could do for the community, you'd find more people willing to donate land to see it happen. I know I'd need a good reason to give land to a single individual, when I could otherwise use the land for a public attraction for everyone to use.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JeanneAnne wrote:

Sylvia Tamalyn wrote:

Simply put, because I like to have the land...it's what *I* enjoy...

Okay Sylvia, thanks, and you too for your response in post #35 Qie. I guess that the only response that makes sense, to my query about why pay for something that's free, is because you enjoy doing so, so you can build stuff or have privacy, etc. That's fine with me. I'm not disturbed about it. Actually, I wouldn't mind paying a modest fee for my account to LL, so long as everyone had to, and if by doing so the $L was eliminated along with "private property." But under LL's current business model, as soon as SL costs me a cent of real money, I'm out. It's been fun, and all, but... sheesh! I guess we're all free to set our own priorities!

Jeanne

I have to respond to this just to say that if some people did not PAY to have land in SL, you would not have anything to enjoy for free. The places you like to visit for nothing would not exist if someone had not paid for the land to build on. People seem to always want a free ride and don't seem to realize that nothing is ever really free. Someone has to pay for others to be able to enjoy it. I hope you will at least consider making a donation now and then to the venues you enjoy for free to at least show your support and appreciation of the owner giving you a place to visit. The servers that maintain SL, the employees, etc. etc are not free. A lot of resourses go into making SL possible. They came up with a business plan (owning virtual land) to generate the income to make it all possible. We all enjoy what SL gives us...so why is it unreasonable to expect that it all should be given to us for free? Basically, some of us are paying so the rest of you can have a free ride. Thank goodness for that...or you would not have SL at all. You don't need land, a home, or anything to enjoy SL...but for me, it makes my experience so much more satisfying and when you consider all the joy I and other land owners get out of it, it is a small price to pay compared to other things we could spend money on. And for some people, in today's economy, owning virtual land may be the only land we will ever own! <grin>

Star

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I think I shall bump this thread, to combine with my own thread from over the summer further down this very page.  It is very interesting to think about how only 5 years ago, people were having this discussion, with some folks pointing out that if people would squat, LL wouldn't make money.

I still have my multiple squatting neighbors on LL property.  I have a new resident this month, as a newb, logs in everyday.  I'm traveling around today, and as usual I see more people idling under bridges, and on other LL property than there are people on actual resident owned land.  The ratio is staggering.

I wonder how many more freeloaders I shall get next year at this exponential growth rate.  Five or six years later, with more squatters than anything else, I've wondered how they've made it this far.  Does SL at least get any commissions from so-called "residents" who have no payment information on file?  I can't imagine how they are getting even linden transaction commisions from the under the bridge dwellers I'm seeing here.  How exactly is SL staying around with this heavy drain and burden?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.