Rough performance...

Mankind Tracer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Would someone kindly address the issues that have been going on for the past few weeks? Sim crashes with 20 people on it.... very bad chat lag... scripts responding slowly... streams skipping, etc. I wonder if the introduction of mesh is too much of a drain on the servers, regardless of which viewer is being run because I'm hearing from friends running different viewers that they are having similar issues. Just tonight, I was playing a show an my sim and these issues were prevalent as well.

Sims crashing?  To be honest I can't remember when the last sim I was on crashed........it's been a very long time.  I've seen a couple times that chat lag was somewhat of an issue but not extremely so and very intermittant.  Streaming skipping has nothing to do with SL's performance.......it's the hosting site or the person streaming though the hosting site that determines how well the stream is maintained.  Also if your stream can not provide the bandwidth to support the number or people present where you are streaming to then it's going to not work properly at all.  You can't blame that on SL....your hosting site or your upload to the site (or possibly the Internet connection between you, your hosting site and then to the parcel you are streaming to).

It sounds like the sim you are experiencing all these problems might be having a problem.  Contact the owner and ask for a sim restart........that may clear it up.  But then all that script error could be just one or a few poorly written scripts  hogging up the script time making all scripts run poorly.

At any rate, I sure haven't seen what you are discribing.  Maybe I'm just lucky...........but I doubt it.

@Peggy and Tracer

You points about the upload and support level of the stream are very valid and poorly understood by too many inworld performers.  Some really do need to address that issue as a matter of priority.

Sim performance and chat lag are very much server related, and despite the individual variability of server performance, there has been a marked increase in the latter is recent weeks.  As to what is causing this increased susceptiblitly, I have not yet seen a credible explanation.

Script performance is also definitely poorer in general, though I suspect the root cause may not be the Mesh-related changes, but the OS upgrade being in-progress.  The jury is still out on that one.

One thing I have noticed, and this is a phenomenon not related purely to myself, is that when teleporting between channels, ie from one of the RC channels to main server, the TP time is higher and post-TP rez time is much longer. No, it isn't bandwidth-related.  I notice a longer "hand-off" time coupled with a longer receive time during teleports.

So in short, SL is not happy at present and individual settings are becoming much more critical in determining whether one has a good experience or not.

Funny how you never have problems, but then with 3000 replys on the forum I wonder how much you play sl.  These problems are real and any one in sl encounters them and worse constantly,  One small possiblity that you seem to overlook Peggy is that sl created a huge memory leak in the blue steel RC servers a few weeks ago, advanced it to the main servers then fixed the leak on Blue Steel.  Perhaps this week they will fix it on the main servers as well because this was on LL fix that actually did work as anticipated.  It would be far better if LL just admitted they have problems and were trying to fix them than to let apologist such as you spin and cloud the waters with the same excuses that are the stock and trade of LL. 

Yes, the lack of explanation is what bothers me. "Critical OS upgrade" to me means something like moving off Windows ME (joke - I hope) - which is quite different from upgrading the server code. They have specifically gone outside their normal roll out restart cycle. Again without really saying why. As usual they either dont understand the kinds of things people do inworld, or dont care. or both. Sailing, for example, has become well nigh impossible. (To the person who alleges they never experience a sim going down, you should have been in Sailors Cove half an hour ago with TD off the meter, sims coming and going - we had to abandon our race). Question: Is there any channel of communication that LL actually listens to? Perhaps we should file a JIRA EACH time a sim crashes.

There are often problems and it is always wise to check the Second Life Grid Status Reports. Since Friday or so we have had an going problem. Today they determined it was wide spread and posted an announcement. They generally tell us as soon as they know what to tell us.

Most problems are unexpected. So, I'm not sure how they will communicate them better than they do now. Users always run into them first.

They do discuss the problems with residents in the Server User Group. I take my Second Life Sever News from those meetings, the wiki, and the forum. 

The Lindens have a public JIRA, bug and feature tracking, tool. It isn't like they are hiding all the issues people have. As far as I know the only bug/issue information they deliberately withhold is security information about exploits. 

Your perception of SL is yours and certainly does not fit my perception of the Lindens. They are not a homogeneous group as you seem to think. But, you're entitled to your opinion. They're human, they miss communicate, they screw up, they forget things. They get embarrassed from time to time and spin things. The PR front is typical of many companies, spin for effect. That is all human nature. Learn to deal with it. A broad brush is not the best tool for painting a portrait. 

Attacking Peggy as an apologist doesn't help anything.

The Critical OS Upgrade was explaned to those with enough interest ot attend the weekly Server Usuer Group meetings. I write my summary of the mettings in SL Server Related.

It isn't like the information was not given to residents. I new weeks before the process started that it was coming. During the three weeks the process was running I only got caught in two restarts. Since I'm not running an SL region it was pretty painless for me.

Not only did I know it was coming, I knew about the problem they have worked with for almost year to track down, TimeWarp. While it is hoped this upgrade will resolve the problem, they are not certain it will. The problem is significant and it causes disruption. A team has been devoted to tracking it down. New tools were built, logging processes added, and numerious attempts were made to resolve the problem. No one knew if it was the simulator software, hardware, or something else. Once everything else was eliminated, the OS was left. So, they changed it. So, far the problem seems fixed.

In the upgrade process they developed tools to handle the OS upgrade. The next time the system needs an OS upgrade it won't be so bad, but it still is not a trivial upgrade. It included not only the simulators but also the backend servers.

As a by-product the Lindens have a number of new diagnostic tools. During the rest of the year we will see more bug fixes and performance improvements. Some we will hear about and others we will hear about as they hit the release channels.

@Nalates

Firstly, it is true that your Blog is a good place to find out sometimes obscurely reported issues in SL.

This begs the question.  It should not be down to individual independent residents (Advisor in the Forum status notwithstanding) to disseminate information about SecondLife.

Linden Labs should be doing that in a transparent and timely manner themselves.

So you knew about the OS upgrade weeks before it started?  It is strange then that more scuttlebutt didn't surface regarding it then.  The SL rumour-mill is usually more effective!

I am interested in the workings of SL, but, like so many other folk, my RL schedule simply does not allow me the luxury of attending inworld groupd such as that.  I don't see why I should therefore be dependent on 3rd parties to pass on information as they see fit.  Such a process could be highly selective.

I know information from LL could be selective, but it has the distinct property of being Official.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.