Decimated mesh vanished

Twiddle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm using blender 2.59 right now and I found a mesh I was working with was way to high in poly count, so I ran a decimate modifier on parts of it and now all the areas that I ran the decimate modifier on have vanished, they are no longer visible outside of blender.  I can still see and edit and manipulate them in blender, but as soon as I export to DAE, they disappear on me.  Anyone know why this is?  And more importantly how I can make them visible again?  I've tried messing with materials and normals but neither have worked, I'm still kind of new to mesh so I don't know what else to try.

Like I said, I tried to adjust the normals, and to change the materials, neither of those worked.  SL still accounts for the verticies when I upload, but they're not visible.  Even if I export it to DAE and then import it back into blender they're missing, so it's something in the export proccess that's making them vanish.

Twiddle please clarify.  What exactly did you in Blender to check and correct the normals.  Often CTL-N  in edit mode will not work properly and you have to make your normals visible and flip them individually.  Also depending on y our settings, polys can be drawn 2-sided in Blender, but in reality what you may be looking at is the back side which is invisible in SL.

Note everyone: for Blender 2.6 settings to show poly's as one sided no longer seem to be working, if anyone has a fix, I'd appreciate it if you could post it.

I have the polys set to one sided, I hit the recalculate outside button while all the verticies were selected so that even if it did it wrong, it'd at least make all the normals on the mesh face the same direction, then hit the flip normals button a few times just to check everything was facing the right way.  Given the contour of the shape if the normals are the wrong way it's immediately obvious.

Well I put up a post on blenderartist forums early this morning, but thus far no reply.  Anyone got any serious suggestions I can try.  I've tried exporting the .blend to .dae and then re-importing the .dae right back into blender and the parts I ran the decimate on are still missing, cant even find them if I go looking in the .dae just to see if they're somehow invisible.  I'm willing to try the shot in the dark stuff because I wasn't smart enough to make a backup after I did the retopo and weight paint, and I really really don't want to do all that over again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.