Permissions system broken?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just got an IM from a client and they said that the perms on my knives were no copy, no mod and no trans...but i had made them copy mod, so i unpacked the the box which i had placed in marketplace and looked at the knives.

They were copy mod when rezzed, but when i looked at their perms in inventory, it showed no copy, no mod and no transfer...

So i went and changed the perms while they were in inventory, which according to all the info on perms, is the wrong way to do it, since it must be set when the object is rezzed, but then when i then gave it to the client, the perms were now correct.

So does anyone know what is going on? Is there a Linden that can explain why this is happening? 

You must never trust the permissions shown in your inventory. They are a mix of the perms of the object and of its contents and since your inventory shows only the perms you do not have, the objects usually appear with less perms than what they actually have.

In other words: Check the contents of your knives (scripts? textures?). Their missing perms is what your inventory and the one of your buyers will show, plus the missing perms of the object itself.

You need to learn the paranoid perms rituals of the veteran content makers: Set, check. Re-rez, double-check. Transfer (to your most trusted alt), triple-check. ;)

If you are using Firestorm or the V2/V3 viewer, you can set Advanced Permissions by going to Build >> Options >> Show Advanced Permissions.  I believe that's an option in other viewers as well, but I'm not sure.  Anyway..... read http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Debug_Permissions to see what that gets you.  I find that the * notation is particularly helpful in seeing what permissions I have set but are not yet enabled.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.