Question about the ongoing land promotion...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't think so. I think this is meant to get new customers for estates and homesteads.

But if you can reach them by phone, it's worth asking that way as well.

Please note this is only my opinion, not what I know firsthand to be fact. But I did not see anything about upgrades, either.

I'm not sure what you are asking.  I think you want to know if you can "upgrade" a Homestead sim to a full private estate?  I don't think there's any mention of that in anything I read on the Promotion Wiki ( http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Private_island_special_promotion ) but it does say you can use this promotion to purchase a new Estate or Homestead.  It also implies that if you already own an Estate and Homestead you can still take advantage of the promo.  But "upgrading" an existing Homestead to a full Estate I don't think they can do that (it's the type of servers each inhabit that makes that not possible).  It appears that you could, however, use the promo to get another Estate and drop your Homestead (sell or abandon).  But I think you want to keep whatever you have on your Homestead and have that content on your new Estate.  I think that's going to be difficult.........and probably not possible at all.

The upgrade is normally possible, but you, of course have to pay the difference in setting up price and tier, I was just wondering if the promotion could be applied in this case also, since, as you noticed, there is no mention of this particular case... but they also don't state that it is not possible, so you'll never know =)

I was hoping somebody asked this already and knew the answer, since I can't seem to get a reply from LL today.

Well it's a decent question, usually you need three homesteads to upgrade to a full sim, you pay the difference in the fee if you only have one or two.

Unfortunately there's no mention of it in the blurb, although it does say:

"This promotion can not be combined with any other promotion or discount".

Which suggests it's not an option, it's a shame you can't get an anwer out of Linden Lab though, it would make sense for them to let you do it if you're upgrading from one homestead to a full sim.

The way I understand how sims are delivered is that full estate sims are placed on quad core CPU's and one sim per core.  Homestead sims are placed on quad core CPU (also) but there are two sims per core (that's the reason for difference in available prims, scripts, concurrent avatars, etc).  If someone owns a single Homestead sim and wants to "upgrade" that sim to a full estate sim (as far as I can tell this promo does not include mainland sims) along with all the content that is present on that sim then that means LL will have to physically move all the data from one CPU and it's associated memory to another......or bump one of the other Homestead sims to make the resources available for an estate sim on the CPU.  I'm sure it can be done..........but I can see it being quite a bit more complicated that it might seem on the surface.  Why would LL commit to doing something that might be extremely difficult?  This a promo which, I'm sure, LL is hoping to increase private estate ownership with as little out of pocket expense as possible.......they're waiving the setup fee and beyond that they wouldn't want to spend any more in either manpower or resources.

It's my impression that a sim is apt to move to a new server any time it restarts.  If that's correct, upgrading from Homestead to full-primmed sim should involve changing a setting and restarting the sim... and changing the amount billed, of course.  I'm sure there's a fee -- there's a fee for everything -- but mostly I think that fee would be trying to recoup the difference between the setup fee for a full-primmed sim and that for one or more Homesteads... and if the setup fee for full-primmed sims is zero during the sale....

That's true.  However, a Homestead sim resides on a CPU that is also inhabited by other Homestead sims.  To "upgrade" that Homestead sim to a full estate either LL would have to move the, up to 7 other sims to a new CPU or move the sim being upgraded to a CPU that has a core available for the new sim on the CPU.  As I understand it Homestead sims and full estate sims cannot exist on the same CPU..........there is going to be some sort of saving or cloning of the entire Homestead sim and moving it to another CPU where it can reside.  A restart with switches I don't think would do that..........there is going to be manpower and additional resources involved in such an upgrade (and I can see where LL would not want to do that when they are waiving the fee that compensates LL for all that manpower and resources used). 

Like I said, it's a promo.  It's meant to gain LL some long range income at the expense of short term income from setup fees.  They're not likely to want to incur anymore "losses" than necessary to make the gain they are anticipating from the promo (call it a sale).

The option to upgrade Homesteads to full sims has long been there, it works out at the full setup cost minus the homestead setup cost, minus any extra money.

Three homesteads is free, you are technically in credit as USD$375 * 3 is greater than USD$1,000 but you don't get the credit.

Two homesteads works out at USD$1,000 - (USD$375 * 2) which equals USD$250.

One homestead is USD$1,000 - USD$375 which equals USD$625.

The promotion doesn't mention this as an option so it looks like it;s not available but someone upgrading from one or two homesteads will be moving to a higher tier level, so it would make some sense for LL to encourage it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.