Viewer 3.2 Beta Issues

Lauryn Braveheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wasn't really happy with the new UI, but I quickly got used to it. I had everything arranged and now.. now everything is gone. No buttons at the bottom or side. When I close out of it, SLvoice doesn't close at all (I almost had a freaking heart attack because I started hearing a loud noisy bird coming through my headphones that was coming from SLvoice (I didn't know until I opened up task manager)) and I can't use the regular viewer because I'm always crashing on it.. so this is proving to be a fun day. Is anyone else having an issue with missing buttons in 3.2 beta??

This is Beta software so it is not unreasonable to expect a few issues - as you can see in this list issued by Oz Linden there were quite a few when 3.2 Beta was released as a candidate viewer:

At the time of integration with viewer-development today, there are

still a number of outstanding issues the team is working on to

prepare for beta and release. So if you're running the development

Viewer, please be aware that some things may not yet work correctly.

Here's a quick rundown of some of the known issues:

o The Viewer floater camera views and presets do not work.

o The Nearby Voice panel does not update to a new call or from

nearby voice info once opened.

o Viewer crashes when updating UI size in preferences.

o The Speak button is activated when dragging and dropping between

toolbars and/or moving back to the Tool Box.

o Viewer crash when moving the speak button from one toolbar to

another when there is an active call request.

o Teleport history doesn't display visited locations.

o Viewer crash when double-clicking the mini-map in People > Nearby.

o Notification and conversation chiclets overlap.

o WASD controls don't move avatar while the Move floater is in focus.

o Closing voice controls while a group or p2p call also closes the

group call/IM window

o Viewer crash after teleport

o Hitting back in the 'Create Group' panel or 'Blocked' panel

requires multiple clicks for action to occur.

LL would clearly be foolish to release this into the main viewer channel without fixing most of these issues, and I encourage you to raise, watch or comment on issues in the JIRA to assist them in rectifying problems,

I ve been always enthousiastic about the beta versions and saw good progress and i always send crash reports in.

However frequent crashes and finding a lot of lagg (where users using 3rd party viewers telling me they dont) is making me wonder where this is going.

Now this v3.2 is terrible ... i dont know what the point is to change all buttons and hide them by default, stability is worse as ever, opening an im results in black screen and near crashes.

Hoping it will change back to a stable - not laggy - normal button viewer.

My guess is .. if this is going to be the next viewer, more users will start using 3rd party viewers.

Regards,

Bud

I agree, but in parts.
there are some flaws but the whole layout has changed, but there seems to be something more out all the bugs already listed above, is not it?
improve the viewer has been an arduous task, even with the mesh being deployed, developers testing the products, among other things.

there is only one criticism: it's heavy!
not by the graphics processing, but the amount of utlize Kb/s to take every step in the metaverse.

I don't know why the V2/3 updates always default to 500 kbps max bandwidth (ditto Firestorm and Phoenix).  I always slide that back up to 10000 kbps and lag goes down.  I have Verzion FiOS of 15 Mbps download variety.  So, I don't have any packet loss to speak of at 10000 kbps.  Your mileage may vary, but most people will be able to run at greater than 500 kbps, I believe.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your informed answer. Most of the time what I want is just the validation that the problem I am experiencing is a known problem. 

I love the new UI, but I get used to change quickly--a thing one must do to reside in Second Life. Here's hoping the crash on TP gets fixed soon. It is tiring.

• 2 weeks later...

3.2 really is probably the absolute worst from a GUI perspective that I've ever endured.  Back to 3.1 for me and the release of Firestorm with mesh can't get here fast enough.

Even backing off and trying to look at like a noob might, I still don't see where this is going to get us anywhere with signing up and retraining new residents as active users.  It's more confusing than than the Viewer 2 - 3.1 interface.

The only positive thing in 3.2 is reducing the depth of the toolbar stack at the top of the screen by 1/3.

I guess this beta (3.2.1) performs badly for some, well for some.

I can say that it works pretty nice for me. High frame rates. For me it does not crash after teleports. I noticed in the non-beta viewer that the buttons vanished sometimes and I had to re-arrange them again. In the beta the buttons stay where I put them and do not vanish suddenly.

• 4 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.