Too good to be true or is it really possible?

Draycko Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

G'day i have been talking with a friend of mine and we where talking PC, It got to a stage where she had said that she is running lynix, win 7, vista and xp on a single laptop. I was just curious if that could be done? 
 (this one sounds the most unbelievable to me -->>) I was also wondering if it where possible to get 120 FPS ultra setting on secondlife, watch videos, download and have 50 tabs open in browser all at the same time.. also said she can run "Crysis" on ultra setting and get 60 FPS -  using a pc thats 7 years old and has integrated graphics? and that she heavily modded and added new drivers which is why it runs like a high tier modern day PC- now this friend of mine is a nice person but to me it all sounds waaayyy too freaking good to be true judging from her PCs age and the fact its using integrated graphics. Oh and she said she got her first pc when she was four which is why she is so PC literate... but yeah to me it sounds like bull, but i really am interested to know if it can be done.   

Well, I can tell you that at least some of that is BS............so, my suspicion is all of that is BS!  Especially the 120 FPS with all that background stuff with ultra settings on an IGP.  That's not even possible with the highest performing graphics card on any market.  And on a 7 year old computer?

I know of a bridge someone wants to sell...........cheap and it spans the Grand Canyon too.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Running the listed operating systems on one machine isn't a problem.  See VMware, Microsoft's VirtualPC and Oracle's VirtualBox.  Though if it's a 7 year old machine and lacking in memory the experience will be poor.

Running Windows on a Mac was available since 1997, WMware workstation came along for Windows in 1998 to virtualise operating systems on Windows. 

Besides, the OP doesn't say they're all running at the same time, multi boot choice is an option.

But why do people want to run Windows on a Mac anyway? :P

some games you can edit the int files to show your frames double or more..the only reason i know this is because when i used to play UT.. the clans were always tweaking the int file for certain things..the frames were not actually doubled or tripled or whatever..it was just displaying a multiple of what they really were..

still it all sounds like a sales pitch to me hehehehe

Draycko Aeon wrote:

ah i see see. Though what about the FPS and background that she was talking about? id like to know your oppinion on that aswell, very interesting stuff to hear from someone that knows what they are talking about..  

Without knowing what the "Integrated graphics" actually are it's hard to say but I very much doubt it since they're not usually aimed at the performance quoted.  It's also pointless discussing fps in Second Life.  The reason being that it's just not optimised and creators can create poor environments.

For example, I can get >130fps on Ultra @ 1024m draw distance as long as the scene isn't complex.  If I go to a complex area and wear my typical choice of hair with lots of flexiprims which also contains transparency, that will typically be between 20 to 30fps and I normally have a draw distance of 256m set.

The browser windows are somewhat irrelevant, they'll mostly just use PC memory, the video viewing, maybe ok if it's optimised but in general i'd be sceptical about a 7 year old machine with integrated graphics and with SL in a typical scene environment.

I am highly skepticle of this. And I assure it is not with shadows on. I would be curious as well to what viewer is being ran in ultra and on what OS those frame rates were. We are talking a 2002 laptop. Video cards have come a long way in the past few years let lone 10 years. And when you are talking a laptop with integrated graphics I don't see it happening. I can get around 120-130 fps using a quad core and a gts 250, if I am like 3000 meters in the air on a platform. If someone is doing this on a 10 year old laptop I might as well toss my computer in the trash.

As for the OS's it can be done if you have the hard drive space. But keep in mind windows 7 takes up about 20 gigs. Linux is much less though. And while I love windows 7, I would wonder how well it would run on a 10 year old computer.

I would have to see it to believe it. Maybe if it was a revamped desktop, but with a laptop there is not a whole lot you can do to it. Change the hard drive and the ram and that is about it. And I don't even think DDR was out 10 years ago, i would have to research it.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. It was very obvious that she was talking bull - but since i know only a little about computers and how they work my curiousity had to be fed. lol - But yeah i didnt think modding or adding your own "Drivers" would help to boost performance all that much like she was saying since GPU performance is reached "obviously" by the hardward and its little nick nacs more then its software. Of course the software is important but the software for a tough GPU and high performance only really matters if the hardware can handle that driver right?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.