'Occupy' SL / Boycott all merchants

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Tiffy Vella wrote:

aww thanks Mayalily..I'm blushing now

You should be!  They look gorgeous!  I'm getting some of your jewels next paycheck!  When I clicked on your MP link, I was like OMG, how to chose from all this gorgeous jewelry!  It's just beautiful.  Your hats are adorable, too! 

This just in ..breaking news..we have found the OP's father..the original troll..

we had an interview with him and he mentioned he was sorry for naming you unoriginal troll but he didn't want anyone taking his stage name..

but since you never seen what he looks like..he wanted us to show you this of him trolling some friends and then a whole club back in his good old days..

he was epic..

Like the responses in other replies, I have had occasional problems with purchases from market place merchants and even a few in-world shops.    And, as others have stated, these problems were always resolved in a timely manner simply by providing the merchant with a friendly notecard containing the pertinent information.

Any merchant worth their salt, either in SL or IRL, knows this type of basic customer service builds customer loyalty and generates repeat customers.    I've found that SL merchants seem to understand this even more than many merchants IRL do.  To blame merchants for LL/SL's failures are both unfair and demonstrates a lack of knowledge on where the line is reasonably drawn.  

The complaint that SL is a dictatorship is an extreme overstatement.    Do they control what happens in world?   Yes, but  unlike a real dictatorship, you don't have to participate in SL if you don't want to.  

If you had a spine you'd quit SL, go join the Occupy crowd and vent your spleen there.    It will be about as useful as what you are trying to do here, and I think you'd fit right in.

Lynda Baran wrote:

If you had a spine you'd quit SL, go join the Occupy crowd and vent your spleen there.    It will be about as useful as what you are trying to do here,
and I think you'd fit right in

No. He really wouldn't!

Sorry - it winds me up a little how some people are already thinking exactly what governments and the 1% want you to think. That the people taking part in 'Occupy' protests are miserable whiners bent on drama. Don't get me wrong, there will undoubtedly be those types of people who jump on the 'Occupy' bandwagon, but that's not what the vast majority of the people involved are about. They are hard-working, smart, intelligent people who are well and truly fed-up with our governments being paid-off by the rich to control and repress the less well off.

The 'Occupy' movement is a peaceful movement with a global important message, not a random whine with no substance. Mind you, the longer it drags on the more chance there is of it turning into violent protest and mindless violence. That won't be the result of the hard-working, smart, intelligent people I just mentioned though. It will be a result of idiotic people taking advantage of the situation, probably planted by governments and the 1% to give them the excuse to get aggressive and quash the movement, just like the Tories did in the 80s with the UK miner's strikes (yeah, I know, who'd have thunk it?! Me?! A conspiracy theorist?!)

I agree with you that the Occupy ........ movements all around the world have a solid point. But let me ask you this question, when people create a movement that says they are the 99% of the population, why are there only 1% of the 99% showing up to protest?

In countrys like Canada who has a middle class thats very good where it is, people don't have much to complain about. In some parts of the world, the demands of this movement make much more sence and are very well based then in other parts.

The U.S. is the perfect example of social inequalities and even to say political inequalities. The change can only happen if everyone was to rally.

The movements around the world are still to develop, some might fade away while others intensifie.

As for SL, I don't have problems with merchants. My wife shops more then I do and whenever she has a problem with a merchant, she gets help within a very reasonable amount of time!

Hey Nym -

Come on by, bring a crowd and some picket signs and hang out for days on end in front of the store. 

(could use some extra traffic, since they monkeyed with the inworld search)

Let me know if you want a more aggressive music selection, and help yourself to the liquor cabinets.

btw....are you working on the "Nym" wars too?  Dang good job you did on that one - google is coming around a bit.

Abby10 Lenroy wrote:

But let me ask you this question, when people create a movement that says they are the 99% of the population, why are there only 1% of the 99% showing up to protest?

A variety of reasons, I guess. Some of the 99% support the cause but are not in a position to actively protest. Some have let apathy win. Probably the main (and saddest) reason though is that many of the 99% don't know, or won't admit, that they are the 99%.

I'm not camped outside St Paul's either, but I actively support the peaceful protest to whoever cares to listen, and am quite vocal about it in RL too. Unfortunately, many of the 99% probably don't even realise what is going on. Many think the 'Occupy' protests are about a group of Marxist hippies trying to destroy capitalism. They don't actual realise that, ultimately, the occupy movement is about fighting for fairness and equality that will benefit them too and, more importantly, will benefit the world. The world can't survive indefinitely under the current system. Something will give eventually. It can either give now in a controlled manner under pressure from the people of the world, or it will get very messy ... eventually. Maybe not tomorrow. Maybe not for another 100 years. But eventually! I'd like to hope it happens peacefully and in a controlled manner during my lifetime. If it doesn't though, I hope i'm long gone before the real collapse arrives because that won't be a nice world to live in!

The fact of the matter is that there is no true democracy in the world. Almost all governments are controlled by the elite. An elite that is unelected, has been given no mandate to rule by the people of the world and who have mostly gained their power and wealth via nefarious means throughout history. The 1% rule the world. Always have.  There have been civil wars, revolutions, concessions and the elite have given up just enough to fool the 99% into thinking they have democracy and accountability. We bought it. Fell for it hook, line and sinker. People are starting to wake up to it though. Whether all the 99% wake up to it remains to be seen. I'm not saying all politicians are part of the 1%, or paid off by the 1%, either. Many are not. It's just that many of them have been fooled too, or their voices of disquiet have be silenced by the elite. 

Yep. I know. Who stole the happy-go-lucky Suella who laughs in the face of all the crazy conspiracy theorists and extols the virtues of 'live and let live', right? I'm still right here. Nothing has changed! :D I'm still happy-go-lucky. I still laugh in the face of the conspiracy theorists. I still believe wholeheartedly in 'live and let live' I just know how the world has always worked and am glad to see others waking up to it and (probably naively) hope this time we might actually bring about true change and genuine democracy. A democracy which, I stress once again, has a place for capitalism and is not about Marxism. It's quite simply about fairness, equality and the removal once and for all of the unelected elite who control the world in a manner that, if it isn't brought into check soon, will result in a world that really won't be a nice place to live in!

/me steps off her soapbox and goes back to eating cheese (the elite put sedatives in cheese you know? they have me under their control too).

(What do you mean, I had to go and ruin a perfectly sound and passionately voiced speech by making a cheese comment that makes me look like a crazy nutjob?!)

Suella Ember wrote:

...The 1% rule the world. Always have...

Yes we have.  We do not tolerate the dissemination of this knowledge though so you would do well to watch your back.  Everyone else ignore her post.  It's just crazy talk!

-Dagmar Heideman

Acolyte of Derek Jeter and Tom Cruise, Overseers of the Illuminati

(They're both well entrenched in the 1 percent and therefore rule the world with the rest of the Illuminati) 35.gif

2 Percent.JPG

By the time we got to Woodstock
We were half a million strong
And ev'rywhere was a song and a celebration
And I dreamed I saw the bomber jet planes
Riding shotgun in the sky
Turning into butterflies above our nation

We are stardust, we are golden
We are caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden

I am doing my part -

in the past week, I spent 2 minutes logged inworld and during that two whole minutes, I didn't buy anything.

People, we must fight this monoarchy known as LL that is overtaking our lives.

I was thinking about a good way to handle this big problem and I got a sign after I replied, the song "Ghostbusters" came on the radio. So yes, if this tyranny continues, I am calling the ghostbusters on LL.

Suella Ember wrote:

Lynda Baran wrote:

If you had a spine you'd quit SL, go join the Occupy crowd and vent your spleen there.    It will be about as useful as what you are trying to do here,
and I think you'd fit right in

No. He really wouldn't!

Sorry - it winds me up a little how some people are already thinking exactly what governments and the 1% want you to think.

They are hard-working, smart, intelligent people who are well and truly fed-up with our governments being paid-off by the rich to control and repress the less well off.

Those who are part of the OWS protests are smart independent thinkers?     You seem to give a lot of credit to the OWS protesters mental abilities and judgment. 

So, why are you incapable of believing that those who disagree with the OWS protests, and do think it's pointless, are not smart independent thinkers?   Why would you assume that those who disagree must be influenced by your imaginary evil "1%"?    

See, it's all a matter of opinion Suella.   I won't assume "you're" brain-washed...if you'll do the courtesy of returning the favor.

Also, just curious...how are you oppressed?   

Abby10 Lenroy wrote:

I agree with you that the Occupy ........ movements all around the world have a solid point. But let me ask you this question, when people create a movement that says they are the 99% of the population, why are there only 1% of the 99% showing up to protest?

Because, they can't count.

Abby10 Lenroy wrote:

The U.S. is the perfect example of social inequalities and even to say political inequalities. The change can only happen if everyone was to rally.

Hmm, I live in the US, and there is not much protesting going on where I live.  Now, mind you I have this thing called a "job" that I go to during the day, so that limits my time available to stand around on street corner's banging on drums. 

When I'm not at work, I have a very good life.  Nothing to protest about.   I live in fantastic times, the best times of the entire world's human population.   There is more food, freedom, goods, information, travel, education, science, healthcare and choices available to me than for anytime prior, in the history of the world. 

Suella Ember wrote:

It's quite simply about fairness, equality and the removal once and for all of the unelected elite who control the world in a manner that, if it isn't brought into check soon, will result in a world that really won't be a nice place to live in!

Suella, how are you not free to achieve?  How are you not free to become rich? 

How are you personally having  fairness and equality squashed in your life? 

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Suella Ember wrote:

It's quite simply about fairness, equality and the removal once and for all of the unelected elite who control the world in a manner that, if it isn't brought into check soon, will result in a world that really won't be a nice place to live in!

Suella, how are you not free to achieve?  How are you not free to become rich? 

How are you personally having  fairness and equality squashed in your life? 

Things have been unfair for, oh, quite a while now.

The current state of affairs is not one that the great unwashed really need to made aware of, considering that they are all quite aware of how many people they know have been laid off (or might have been themselves).

What we now face is the need to take some pretty draconian measure, and I don't mean next year.  Have the protestors advanced any policies they would like enacted into law? Not that I know of.

It's all very well to say we need to get ourselves back to the garden. What I want to know is exactly what bullet those who believe that intend to bite.

I sense a few rebels without a clue.

I've bought tons of stuff on the marketplace, the few (very few) times I've had delivery issues, the merchants helped me straight away without any argument.  Sometimes the permissions displayed on marketplace does not match up with the actual permissions of the item when receive, those times the merchants always helped me by giving me the item with the correct permissions. I've had items that after months stopped working for no reason, those merchants supplied me with a new item, no issues at all.  In fact, my faith in humanity has been restoredthanks to the kind and helpful merchants in SL, so I have no reason to even entertain the thought of this silly call to arms.

Instead of an 'occupy' action, why dont you consider a 'walk out' rather.  you say you've been here for many years and none of the crap has changed? yet you are still here?  

Oh, and Linden Dictatorship? please, it is called ownership, we are all just tennants here, you will do well to remember that if it was not for Linden, none of us would be here and none of this would have existed.

i went to the market yesterday and ended up paying for the same item twice..

so i messaged the merchant and they sent me a very quick reply and very nice reply also...

she said that she has done that a few times herself and that she had seen that i did pay twice for the same thing and sent me the money that i overpayed for the same item..then  even added a *kisses*

i thanked her for the fast reply and nice service and then gave her *huggs* and said for her to have a wonderful day =)

i know it was my fault for getting two items of the same thing..but usually when you do..the system will tell you that you have two of the same thing..are you sure you want to buy both..it didn't..

so she was really great for taking care of me whenreally it was my fault and stupidity for not paying attention to the quantity slot..

i've never had bad service from a merchant..i've always gotten on well with them and became friends with many of them..

i think if we go in handling a bad purchase with a bad attitude that bad things will happen..i think because i am always giggling or sounding happy even on a bad transation of some kind..they see that and  see that i'm nt gonna be a pain in the butt..

i wouldn't be shopping there if i didn't love their work..

things haven't changed...merchants are still nice as ever..*winks*

My experience with merchants both inworld and in the Marketplace has been nothing but excellent; and believe me. I have bought hundred of items during my 3 years in SL.

Once I crashed in the very moment of unpacking an item; on logging back a minute later it had vanished both from the ground and my inventory. I told the merchant via NC and they sent me the item back within minutes.

Another time I deleted a house by mistake. And I honestly told it so to the merchant who sold it. That house was not any more on sale but I asked him if he still had a copy he could sell me and he did …Though I sent him the money, he actually  wanted to gave me the house for free; though its price had been 3999 ld, and well worth it.

In another occasion; a merchant gladly make  mod for me a couple of boots that I was unable to resize properly through the hud that did come with them.

I would have even more examples to talk about, but you get my point, don’t you?

Bottom line; any sort of boycott to SL merchants in general would be unfair and uncalled for. In my experience and opinion, most of them do work real hard to offer a great customer service. And a NC explaining in friendly and polite terms what's the issue, gets a quick response from almost all  SL merchants.

*Edit to fix a typo

Abby10 Lenroy wrote:

That's what about 98% of the 99% think. They are good with their lifes and don't have anything to complain about.

Yeah only it's not.

At least 10% who are unemployed and looking for work would disagree with you.  It's probably much greater than 10% given what unemployment statistics actually represent.  Then there are those who are underemployed, and those making so little they have to use food stamps to make ends meet and put food on the table (approximately 20% of US households currently receive food stamps).

• 1 month later...

Having a greafe with the labs is one thing but pulling this with merchants is another all together..  If you do not like the merchants do not buy anything but do not enlist others to do your fighting. Helping manage a number of in world malls and knowing a grate many merchants I can honestly say your business will not be missed. Merchants are hard working people and 99.999% of them will go out of their way to make sure their customers are satisfied, You should more mindful of whom you wish to sully.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.