Viewer 3.2.0 beta - Grats on the UI

Jenni Darkwatch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So rearranging clutter plus putting in the basic mode functions is a big step forward?

I don't think so, 3.2 is  different, yes, but still bad in regards of usability.

Back to Firestorm with it's sane and usable Interface that's not made to attract kids and social networkers.

Jeannie

Nice advancement on the viewer. Offers many more option to personalize how your viewer function and offers an even cleaner view. I am not eithera kid, ora social networker, but i think this is a great option.

(You have to love how LL finally makes the side bar optional, and people still find reason to moan. )

While I never really disliked the V2/3 sidebar, I do like the V3.2 approach a little better.  I'm still looking forward the the upcoming Firestorm release for the build tools (e.g., undo, copy coordinates, etc.) and the bridge-based radar.  This V3.2 approach should give the Firestorm folks more time to spend on value-added bridge-based functionality, considering they should have less work to do in tweaking the interface.  Also the V3.2 "CTRL-Shift-U" hiding of controls may be useful to me sometime when I'm on my small-screen laptop.

• Like 1

Well, as long as LL is not willing to offer an option to have the friends list, groups, local chat and IMs in one single floater to have a better overview about communications and save screen space and refuses to make the size of the cam loater changeable, I will not use any of their viewers. By teh way: Web profiles are a no go for me too, now you can't se who is online anymore which is sometimes important if you want to contact land owners or support staff.

Ah, I forgot, Q Linden has recently said : It's all about screen space, so I personally think he is talking about the size the floaters need on the scrreen.  In comparison to Firestorm V3, the floaters in LL V3.2 I usually need to have open require about 50% more screen space than in Firestorm and spread comm controls and people/group foloaters all over the screen.

But, let's wait for the next coming new GUI ROd Humble has announced. what did he say? Ah :Good or bad, it will be glorious.

Looking at V3.2 I fear it will neither be good nor glorious, but simply bad, especially when taking Q Linden's statement on Options into consideration.....

J.

LOVING the new interface. I had posted a long review about viewer 2.0 backin 2010 on the forums that asked for many of these changes and thought I would never see them (for anyone interested in seeing that post you can view it here.) implemented.

The only thing I would ask for to make the interface even more customizable is the addition of a "small spacer" and "large spacer" button in the Toolbars window. This would allow me to separate button sets along the side of my viewer and many applications/browsers support this feature. It shouldn't be difficult to implement now that they have gone this far. Do this and I can think of no better viewer experience out there.

Now if only we could get the performance where we'd like to see it!

Thanks!

I've seen the review of it, and like it. The customizeable buttons are much welcome, but the chat bar seems a bit clumsy, and I would prefer if we could, say, dock windows to the sides as an option. Tidying up the windows themselves will certainly be a good thing. That aside, I'd also like the option to:

- collapse the mini location bar INTO the top bar if there is room
- have notifications on the bottom right OR flexibly in either corner of the screen really, for maximum customizability

That aside, its looking great so far, and lightweight

I share the opinion that the overall problem of usability isn't helped by only making those buttons movable.

If someone responsible for usability just could give an explanation why the status icons for conversations and notifications had been placed at the bottom right and nowadays at the top right! If the main SL population were arabic, then I could understand it. But it is not. Those are vital functions, I'm experiencing it each time I'm kicked out of SL because I not notice the small number on the small notifications icon saying that the region is restarting. Just an exmaple.

Many people still have the local chat at the bottom left because they're used to it. We also got the menu at the top left. For everyone not living in arabic countries it's also logical to place the IM tabs on the top left. In any case we have the left side covered by our attention, so why are those flashing icons placed on the right?!

But those icons are an issue alone: Assuming I've got the IM tabs open, if there's an incoming IM then

- the window in the IM bar will flash

- the single chat icon will show the bubble

- the conversations icon will change.

That's informing me 3 times about the same event. Flooding the user with information more than neccessary. I don't wanna get started with group notices and such.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.