Second Life viewer 3.2.1 - anti-aliasing not working in linux

Eric Castanea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not to mention horrible, horrible, frame rates.

But hey, it has a new interface! *facepalm*

My system specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2800 MHz)
Memory: 3022 MB
OS Version: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010 i686
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 430/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 4.1.0 NVIDIA 260.19.06

LL doesn't seem to get it. This is what new users of second life see. Crap. *shrugs* 

Anti-alias is the responsibility of your graphics card.  And the GT430 card is pretty low end for 3D graphics.  The newer viewers coming out from LL require more from your graphics card that previous viewers.  For the time being you can try some TPV's to delay the eventual need to upgrade your graphics in your computer.

The P-4 CPU is helping any either.

Umm beg to differ sweetie. The LL viewer used to enable AA just fine. LL has steadily downgraded their code performance over the past 6 months.

I.e.; I used to have great performance. The only thing that changed was the LL viewer code. Sorry but you can't pass it off on a GPU. LL is degrading the code with every release.

For instance the LL viewer cannot do this anymore:

Vamp_Zoom.png

But an old Kirstens viewer can. And it gets great FPS.

Heck you can't even take a snapshot with the current LL beta lol. The code is broken.

Expecting people to go buy a $500 GPU and a $300 PSU just to run clearly defective LL code is completely stupid.

Your card will work with SL fine with settings at mid or lower......struggle at high settings.  Toss AA in the mix it gets ugly.  You need the proper hardware to run SL at any setting above mid range.  An AA of 4x might work with a performance hit......try 8x and you are likely to have huge problems.

I always have a good day.  :)

I  run a lowly GTS 250 with a i5 CPU and V-3..........high settings, AA x4, draw distance of 256.  My frame rates hover around 25 to 40 in moderately populated sims (90 + on my skyplatform).

Explain, please.  :)

ETA

My card cost $175 at Best Buy a year ago.......can be bought on Ebay for under $50 today.  I've never seen a $300 power supply unless it was 2000 watt.  Get real Ann.

I use a GT240 and took that pic the other day. All bells and whistles on. Great FPS. The difference is it is a superior viewer that took LL code and has been fixed by a superior developer (Kirsten) that could easily replace the entire LL viewer team and deliver increasingly superior results for a fraction of the cost of the LL viewer team.

You are telling someone (the OP) a much more recent and more powerful video card that it cannot do what a 240 can do. The difference is LL's viewer is clearly defective and Kirstens viewer is clearly superior.

Adding: The people trying the latest dev build (FUI Viewer) are reporting even less FPS than ever lmao.

Oh yea, you are using a 250 and reporting great results (bs) while you tell someone with a much more recent and better card that it cannot do what your 250 can do. amusing.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

My card cost $175 at Best Buy a year ago.......can be bought on Ebay for under $50 today.  I've never seen a $300 power supply unless it was 2000 watt.  Get real Ann.

You told the OP to upgrade from a 400 series nvidia card. That puts it at you are recommending a 500+ series GPU. Checked the PSU requirements lately? You have to overspec the PSU or it dies at boot because all the other stuff requires power too.

That much more recent video card is a low end much more recent video card.  Your card will run bett than his. 

You need to understand how video card manufactures use their model numbers to tell you the perfromance of any card.  The series number (that first number) says absolutely nothing about performance.  Will your brand new Kia out perform my 10 year old Corvette? 

A 580 card (the highest performer in the that series) requires 450 watts............about $100 dollars at Best Buy.  You can do much better online.......about $75 would easy to find.  You don't know what you are talking about, Ann...........and that disappoints me since I've read your post for years.

ETA

Also a GTS 280 card would be an upgrade..............and that card can be had for under $100.

I can tell you this. 6 months ago the LL viewer was vastly superior to what it is now.

What changed? My system didn't. When your customers keep reporting increasingly poor performance of your product then the root is increasingly poor performance of your employees.

Oh and you are full of it where PSUs are concerned lol. You should read some forums on the topic sometime. I had to buy a 750 to run a 240 and the rest of my computer properly.

Don't use it then.

If LL followed the train of thought we'd still be seeing what we saw in 2005.  Lag when concurrency reached 3000 grid wide, Frequent grid crashes, no windlight, no sculpties, no flexible prims, no voice, no media on a prim.........no lots of stuff.  All those things you enjoy now produced huge outcries from users about LL going backward, distroying the performance of the grid, making SL intolerable.

Fix your hardware or don't use the features your hardware can cope with.  It's easy.

Ann Otoole wrote:

I can tell you this. 6 months ago the LL viewer was vastly superior to what it is now.

I'll certainly agree with you that the viewer was performing much better 6 months ago.

Oh and you are full of it where PSUs are concerned lol. You should read some forums on the topic sometime. I had to buy a 750 to run a 240 and the rest of my computer properly.

The GT 240 doesn't have a PCIe power plug which means it gets all its power from the PCIe slot and per the spec it can only draw 75w max.

Anyway back on topic AA works fine for me on linux. This is on Ubuntu 11.10 with a GTX 560 TI and the 280 driver.

Eric Castanea wrote:

Not to mention horrible, horrible, frame rates.

But hey, it has a new interface! *facepalm*

My system specs:

CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2800 MHz)
Memory: 3022 MB
OS Version: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010 i686
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 430/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 4.1.0 NVIDIA 260.19.06

LL doesn't seem to get it. This is what new users of second life see. Crap. *shrugs* 

You do know that 3.2.1 is a Development Built Viewer ? Nobody ever said that these are (or even should be) stable! :)

leliel Mirihi wrote:

The GT 240 doesn't have a PCIe power plug which means it gets all its power from the PCIe slot and per the spec it can only draw 75w max.

Yea I over spec'd because I planned ahead and did not feel like buying another psu when i eventually have to buy a cray super computer psu to run SL with it's 1999 graphics. At minimum you need a 450 based on what users reported on numerous forums. The 300w PSUs nvidia said was minimum resulted in black screen no boot.

The current beta will not run like Kirstens. Which means it is a total failure.

You can get an Antec 650 watt PSU at Best Buy (not the cheapest place to get computer hardware) for less than $80.00.  650 watts will last you through 3 or 4 computers if you maintain it just a little bit.........like blowing out the dust once in a while.  But, I guess you spent $300 on that 750 watt one......hope you got a good warranty and maybe a cup of coffee at Starbucks.  $300 could get you an 1100 watt power supply and a couple gigs of RAM.

Well, if you take care of that PSU you'll have it to put in your next computer, and your next one after that, and your next again........so you're probably set for life in the power supply needs (unless your new super Cray machine has liquid cooling......you might need a little bigger PSU for that).  :matte-motes-big-grin:

FSAA still works in SL on Linux, but the fancy effects that recent desktops use can interfere with it. I'm looking at you, compiz. I think recent xfce can interfere too. This is not only an SL problem, it breaks other things like games that use FSAA too.

On Ubuntu, you can choose the "classic desktop with no effects" from the login screen menu, and that will free up the resources to allow FSAA.

If anybody actually used Unity and got used to it, it is still possible to get similar functionality with a switch to Gnome 3. The little secret is to hold down the Alt key when you right click on the panels, then it is possible to add and remove launchers.

this was like almost 2 years ago.

However, when it is time to upgrade again, maybe i'll spring for a whole new system and overspec everything. Then use this box for linux.

But no matter what it is a fact kirstens and other TPVs run circles around LL viewers. And LL viewers crash at 1.4gb mem used which means they can only handle about 5 decent looking avatars in view. Go get phoenix and go clubbing. Out of 60 people maybe 4 are on an LL viewer. Very telling.

Cerise wrote:

FSAA still works in SL on Linux, but the fancy effects that recent desktops use can interfere with it. I'm looking at you, compiz. I think recent xfce can interfere too. This is not only an SL problem, it breaks other things like games that use FSAA too.

On Ubuntu, you can choose the "classic desktop with no effects" from the login screen menu, and that will free up the resources to allow FSAA.

The shining-fixes branch removes the MSAA code and replaces it with FXAA so that's not really a problem anymore.

Last time I looked at memory usage while running SL V-3 it was somewhere around 1.5 gigs (and Win 7 wants about 500 megs, I don't know what my anti-malware wants)...........it was at a live music event that was pretty filled up.  I can't say how many avatars were there........maybe 20 or so?  My draw distance is always at 256 so the textures would be abundant.  I didn't crash...........I lagged down to about 20 FPS.

It's about your system and how it handles 3D graphics.........the viewer has little to do with that.  Maybe by not having the features another viewer has it can save a little on the resources.  Does that make it better?  Yeah, if you prefer that particular viewer it would...........but is it really better?  Probably not at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.