Cyber Bullying, should linden labs be stricter?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

And I repeated your mistake and I do know how many states there in the US.

It happens......
:)

LOL, I know.  He was thinking Puerto Rico was a state after we just discussed this and when I opened a new window and looked up the correct information. 

I miss Windows XP a little bit.  I'm trying to get used to Windows 7.  I'm sure I'll get there sooner than later, but I kind of liked XP. 

ETA:  And, I think you and I Peggy are trying to say "bleep" happens. 

Well, when it's murder and premeditated, there are laws.

Also, FB is now connected to SL, sort of. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harlee Fallen wrote:

i dont see how that has any relevance to my post about SL being stricter about cyber bullying?

if you refuse to stay on track please dont respond at all.

I thought Tormented's post was perfectly relevant. Especially this part, in case you missed it:

Tormented Twilight wrote:

I can't help but think if you just ignored this alleged "bully" that would be the end of it.  However, on the various websites and forums you've posted this stuff too it seems like you're more obsessed about the whole deal than the supposed bully is.  And if you are indeed being cyber-trolled then constantly calling this person out publicly (which I see you edited out) is only providing them with fodder.

Harlee, I read your blog out of curiousity the first time you posted about this whole thing a while back.    When you egg them on I don't see how you can say you are the one being bullied.    Your continuous back and forth is just making you a target.   

SL doesn't need to become stricter.   The tools needed are already in your hands.   Ignore them,  mute them, or if you feel it's absolutely necessary, AR them.    Then move on.    But if you keep the battle going, there comes a point when you stop being the one who's being bullied and become the bully yourself.

No, LL doesn't need to be stricter as all the tools someone needs to deal with a bully are already in place.

Firstly, I have all the sympathy in the world for anyone that is abused by anyone else in RL, SL or in any way shape or form.  I also feel that a lot more could be done to stop TRUE bullying in RL.  BUT.... after looking at your profile and blog I wouldn't be at all surprised if the whole thing weren't cooked up cheap drama for publicity and infamy by using a RL serious  issue to pull on the heartstings of potential supporters.

You have also violated TOS by revealing private information in your blog about others as well as private conversations that you had no right to reveal without permission and apparently have done the same in world too.  It's all too ironic considering you own profile pic about revealing private information or chat logs without permission!  Don't know and don't care about who started all this or if the other party has done anything wrong.  But you are as guilty of being a bully here as you are alleging the other person to be.  

Want to stop this if this is really the harrasment you claim? Simple enough.  Ignore and mute the other person.  Ban from any land you own and remove all that stuff you wrote about the subject anywhere you posted it. Move on in your SL and quit trying to perpetuate this by putting up posts about it everywhere.

I think it should be taken seriously if it constantly occurs on their platform, by Linden Lab. It makes you wonder what responsibility they have if the problem is reported and goes ignored.

What if LL ignored the reports and let it continue and a person murdered another person because of it. Would it be criminal negligence? Could the family sue LL for not taking a stance?

What if LL ignored the reports and a person commited suicide. Would the family be able to sue LL for not doing anything about it? Could the family follow up with a wrongful death suit ?

Very gray area and The laws are new and not in all states

Makes you wonder... Doesn't it

I was talking to another person on Sl that her RL identity was discovered by her putting a RL image of her self in Her profile. That image was then used to track her thru tineye.com and the person was able to come up with her real name and identity because of it. . That really worried her. But it goes to show you  how careful you have to be about posting up real pics that may be linked to your FB account...

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

You have also violated TOS by revealing private information in your blog about others as well as private conversations that you had no right to reveal without permission and apparently have done the same in world too.

LL has no jurisdiction over stuff that is printed in blogs or forums outside of those officially sanctioned by LL.  One can print chat logs with names if they want to.  So, while it can be considered bad form, it does not violate TOS.

Void Singer wrote:

in answer to the question in the title:

No.

I think LL's only responsibility to help prevent a possible cyberbullying attack is to allow the username to be taken out of the viewer and not store their username in the viewer.  Firestorm beta has done this; made the new FS beta viewer not store your username.

I say a viewer should not store a username because imagine some teenagers.  A teenager makes rl "friends".  I say friends in quote because let's say the first teenager in question doesn't know this new "friend" or "friends" very well, but invites them over to their house.  Teenagers love to gather around a computer.  While the teenager who has a viewer downloaded on their computer, all someone has to do to get the username is to open the SL viewer.  Once a supposed "friend" has a username, they could turn on dime and start the crimes as mentioned in my information post on the current laws in the USA as they know the teenagers rl info.

I have to applaud FS beta for making it a viewer where the name is not stored.  I think LL should follow with that on their final release of their viewer, but I doubt they will.  Once FS is out of beta, I will be switching to FS so my username will not be in full view and so easily accessable as just my rl bf and I live here and we don't want to create username accounts for our computers as it's a hassle, imo.  So,  I do applaud you FS beta volunteers for doing that as I see no need to store someone's username in a viewer.  Once someone has username and rl name, that just opens the door for this kind of thing to happen.

But, other's are very right in this thread, don't give out any info that is very personal.  Also, delete, block spam from your email.  Do not respond to the links, just keep deleting spam, and repeat 50 million times.

I also wanted to state that I said call the Police if you live in the USA because they are the ones who would determine if a cyber crime indeed happened, not me.  I don't know anything about this person or their situation, and I'm not going to any other websites just to find out.

The only thing LL could do is not store username.  But, since they won't, FS will be for me once it's complete.

If they (supposed friends) open the viewer all they have to do is look at the top bar area of any SL viewer screen to see your  username it's where the the viewer name and version number is.

ETA:  I just noticed on V2 and the new LL beta viewer that the username is not shown in that position so it may not be shown on other viewers but I'm pretty sure it shows there on Firestorm & Phoenix.

Sy Beck wrote:

If they (supposed friends) open the viewer all they have to do is look at the top bar area of any SL viewer screen to see your  username it's where the the viewer name and version number is.

ETA:  I just noticed on V2 and the new LL beta viewer that the username is not shown in that position so it may not be shown on other viewers but I'm pretty sure it shows there on Firestorm & Phoenix.

Oh, thanks for alerting me about that. 

I don't know of any website that stores someones username except SL and it's viewer.  Why do they do that?  I have no idea why, as it's not needed, and no other websites do that that I can think of.  All other websites or games I currently play you have to type in username every time, along with password. 

I hope the FS beta volunteers remove that as well.  Maybe they will, maybe they won't.  But, it certainly could help to keep people's username private, as that (other than keylogging/hacking) is the No. 1 reason that leads to cybercrimes -- username plus real life info. 

As far as the OP and her personal links and such, and I don't want to get involved nor open any links nor read any blogs or websites about it.  So, I am commenting in general terms. 

Mayalily wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

I don't know what happened with you, but if you live in the USA you can call the Police,
as in all 51 states
, cyberstalking, cyberharassment and cyberbullying are misdemeanors or felonies
in all 51 of the U.S. states.

/me blinks

And who said we can't never learn on this forum?  I went out for a quick cocktail or two, and we grew by a whole state.  I told the bartender to cut me off after three; he failed.  

I think I need to burn my atlas.   

LOL!  That was funny!  I'm new to this Windows 7 and it took me forever to figure out how to bring up the other Window to do a copy and paste! 

Let me fix that, as I asked my rl bf if there were 50 or 51 states in the USA as I didn't want to try working another "window", and he said 51.  I didn't double check because of using this new Windows system. 

Anyhow, in my post, that is official information in the 50 U.S. states on a state-by-state basis as far as the laws go now, though I do know that California is going for some very "tough" ones. 

there are 50 states and then the District of Columbia..Washington D.C.

it's not a state but the people that live there can vote in the elections and it does give electorials..=)

puerto rico is a territory..

oh and when you finally do get used to windows 7..i think you will love it..i know i do =)

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

I don't know what happened with you, but if you live in the USA you can call the Police,
as in all 51 states

/me blinks

And who said we can't never learn on this forum?  I went out for a quick cocktail or two, and we grew by a whole state.  I told the bartender to cut me off after three; he failed.  

LOL!  That was funny!  I'm new to this Windows 7 and it took me forever to figure out how to bring up the other Window to do a copy and paste! 

Let me fix that, as I asked my rl bf if there were 50 or 51 states in the USA as I didn't want to try working another "window", and he said 51.  I didn't double check because of using this new Windows system. 

Anyhow, in my post, that is official information in the 50 U.S. states on a state-by-state basis as far as the laws go now, though I do know that California is going for some very "tough" ones. 

it's not a state but the people that live there can vote in the elections and it does give electorials..=)

Sorry Ceka.  My flag has only 50 stars.  

DC's license plates have the motto: "No Taxtation Without Representation"

Puerto Rico votes in the U.S. Presidential elections, as well as Guam, American Samoa, and the U.S. Virgin Islands with no electoral college.

To this end, my flag still has only 50 stars.  

Storm Clarence wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

as in all 51 states

/me blinks

Puerto Rico votes in the U.S. Presidential elections, as well as Guam, American Samoa, and the U.S. Virgin Islands with no electoral college.

thats all there is is 50 states..i didn't say there was 51..

a lot of people think there are 51 because of D.C. only D.C. can vote in the presidential election.

and puerto rico votes in the primaries not the presidential elections..none of the territories vote in the presidential elections

ETA: and as far as ending this?? i wasn't starting anything..i was just answering something that i did not see answered..

i was just reading the thread and saw people talking about the states so i figured i would  try to put a bit clearer answer up is all..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

as in all 51 states

/me blinks

puerto rico is a territory..

oh and when you finally do get used to windows 7..i think you will love it..i know i do =)

Yeah, according to this forum, there are 51 states, and California is a country.  So, if California is a country, that still leaves 50.  lmao.

I hope I get used to Windows 7.  Still trying to figure out how to get a toolbar and where the heck my bookmarks are?  Also, it doesn't update with Windows updates very well and I have to do them manually, so may I pick your brain on how to make this work like XP used too in a private IM?  I used XP for over six years!  I miss my toolbar and other features that I knew where the heck they were.

Mayalily wrote:

Yeah, according to this forum, there are 51 states, and California is a country.  So, if California is a country, that still leaves 50.  lmao.

I hope I get used to Windows 7.  Still trying to figure out how to get a toolbar and where the heck my bookmarks are?  Also, it doesn't update with Windows updates very well and I have to do them manually, so may I pick your brain on how to make this work like XP used too in a private IM?  I used XP for over six years!  I miss my toolbar and other features that I knew where the heck they were.

you can get me on SL if you like..i used XP before windows 7 also hehehe.i'll help any way i can  =)

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

as in all 51 states

/me blinks

thats all there is is 50 states..i didn't say there was 51..

a lot of people think there are 51 because of D.C. only D.C. can vote in the presidential election.

and puerto rico votes in the primaries not the presidential elections..none of the territories vote in the presidential elections

ETA: and as far as ending this?? i wasn't starting anything..i was just answering something that i did not see answered..

i was just reading the thread and saw people talking about the states so i figured i would  try to put a bit clearer answer up is all..

Oh, it's great to be British! It's so much easier to remember what your country is! A union of only a tiny handful of countries - England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and....erm.....that little one stuck onto the side of England...where they have a lot of coal and sheep.... Dammit! I have it on the tip of my tongue. W...W...Whales? Yeah. That's it. Whales.

Carole Franizzi wrote:

...England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and....erm.....that little one stuck onto the side of England...where they have a lot of coal and sheep.... Dammit! I have it on the tip of my tongue. W...W...Whales? Yeah. That's it. Whales.

Thought you were going to say Europe for one moment then :smileywink:

Mayalily wrote:

I do not understand how you are confusing an operating system (XP v Win7) with the browser you use.  Unless you are using IE in which case I suggest you try Mozilla's Firefox.

Sy Beck wrote:

Carole Franizzi wrote:

...England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and....erm.....that little one stuck onto the side of England...where they have a lot of coal and sheep.... Dammit! I have it on the tip of my tongue. W...W...Whales? Yeah. That's it. Whales.

Thought you were going to say Europe for one moment then :smileywink:

Dammit!!!! Totally forgot about that one!!! England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Whales and Europe. That's that place south of London where they speak with really odd dialects, isn't it?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.