Serious Question: Why NO MOD?

Elric Anatine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I prefer to make things full perms unless they are collaborations with people who object.

One advantage I can see with no-mod is that the user won't repeatedly break it by trying to mod it and then expect you to keep fixing it for him.

Not much of a problem with my product line.

But if I start making scripted items that assume a specific avatar size, I'll be well aware of the hazards.

I think something like that might partly explain the trend, as broken mods are more likely to occur with SLM items than with in-world sales where the user can often get a better idea of what he's getting into before making a purchase decision.

I've always produced moddable items .. but for a reason slightly astray of those already mentioned.

I learned long ago that I have a crap color sense. I'm fully aware of the concepts and techniques involved, but for some reason it just doesn't click for me. The things I make look ... acceptable ... and work great! So I leave them moddable because people that buy my stuff will no doubt want to fix the problems in appearance I didn't see.

Now don't get me wrong here. I'm good with seams, sizes, building, etc. but colors and patterns? What looks good with what? Nope, not gonna happen.

So basically I look at my "builds" as hosts for the intelligence I build inside. It may look a bit odd, but it works perfect ... every time.

I sell my transerable items no-mod, if people want a moderation they can always im me and ask me to make it (no extra charge) or I send them a mod version.

I started to sell my trans things no-mod after a couple of buyers that claimed to have messed up and asked for a new item and that happened a few times in a short period. I got a strange feeling about that, since the last person I asked to send the messed up version back (after all it was trans) and they just emptied their trash.

When I send a trans/mod version on demand, I do tell them that I am not handing an other when its messed up.

So in answer to your question, I do it to prevent discussions.

I only custom build and sell through marketplace, so my customers are told or see that they can always IM me with questions or changes.

I bought a very expencive building that was no mod and it made it near enough unusable so since I started I've sold all my builds copy / mod.. This has a very positive effect when you sell a large number of one build. Nobody sees the same thing everywhere .. People love to make my builds 'their own' and thats very important . Most of my builds are way to complex to modifiy too much but people love to have the freedom to play.

No mod builds are just annnoying I never bought another. and I would have if they'd been mod.. Oh just a minute .. NO i recomend all builders to make their builds no mod ,,lol

I think in some cases, the no-mod aspect is used to generate further revenue from existing product lines. I have found a prime example of this with clothing, especially shoes and boots. Being no-mod means the textures and tinting abilities are locked (although mayhaps I wasn't trying hard enough to tweak them!). As such, if you want other colours, you generally need to re-buy the same item again - hence the fatpacks etc. Obviously, the annoying side effect of no-mod is the painful resizing scripts, which can severely limit proper fitting.

It is something that has always annoyed me, although I can understand the reasoning behind it from the merchant viewpoint. If the prices are fair, I generally accept it - although at times excessive pricing makes me think it's milking a product for all its worth.

The whole "don't make it mod so buyers won't make my creation look bad" argument is silly.  I had a shoe creator get pissy at me in IM to the point where I had to mute her - all because I asked for a mod version of the shoe, since the 450L pair I purchased did not fit.  She also didn't have the permissions listed on her vendors.  That is a mistake I will never make again.

Oh boy did I get the third degree from the person.  As a result I not only will never buy from her again, but I will also actively let people know to avoid her store completely if they want shoes.

All the clothes I sell are copy/modify (except for gacha things with are modify/transfer).  So what if the person makes it look slightly different?  They DID buy it.  There is absolutely no reason not to make clothing items no modify.  None.

Okay, rant over.

Sredni Eel wrote:

The whole "don't make it mod so buyers won't make my creation look bad" argument is silly.  I had a shoe creator get pissy at me in IM to the point where I had to mute her - all because I asked for a mod version of the shoe, since

Oh c'mon entertainment, what was her reason for making them no mod?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.