Jump to content

Why I Didn't Buy Your Dress


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Just a few reasons why I decided not to buy your clothing:

 

1)  If the picture of your outfit does not show both front and back I will not buy your product no matter how great it looks.  It doesn't matter what you put in the description I want to see how it looks on front and back. 

 

2)  Exactly which layers are included are not listed.

 

3)  Not offering a demo for something expensive.  I recently fell in love with a product that the designer offered to model by request which was very expensive.  That really doesn't help lol.

 

4)  Your clothes are not shown on a model and so I've no idea what it looks like on.  Also if you use a model out of proportion or a say a non human marketing to humans lol.

There are so many great designers in SL but some could do better marketing their products so they are more widely purchased.  Not showing the back of the dress just kills me lol.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

one of my Favorate Designers in SL has a notecard that is haded to you if you click on any of the venders. The notefards for her more expencive items state to PM her to see the gown in world (wich she does rather cheerfully) It is this sort of costomer service that keeps me going back to her store, and to date i have bought 3 5000L$ Gowns from her shop and eagerly watch her update group for new ones.

 

I think if a Dress is 5000L (20 USD) A couple minutes of time is not a drastic thing to ask from a seller.

Link to post
Share on other sites


EmmaPartygirl wrote:

Just a few reasons why I decided not to buy your clothing:

 

1)  If the picture of your outfit does not show both front and back I will not buy your product no matter how great it looks.  It doesn't matter what you put in the description I want to see how it looks on front and back. 

 

2)  Exactly which layers are included are not listed.

 

3)  Not offering a demo for something expensive.  I recently fell in love with a product that the designer offered to model by request which was very expensive.  That really doesn't help lol.

 

4)  Your clothes are not shown on a model and so I've no idea what it looks like on.  Also if you use a model out of proportion or a say a non human marketing to humans lol.

There are so many great designers in SL but some could do better marketing their products so they are more widely purchased.  Not showing the back of the dress just kills me lol.

 

If Im shoppping in a place I have not bought anything from before, I look around for a gift they might have out...quite a few stores dont always have photos of the rear view of items...but nabbing a gift is a good indicator of the quality of their work. I also do a lot of hunts to blog, hunt gifts are a superb way to see what the workmanship of the designer is like before spending cash.

I find seeing an item on the store owner or store employee very helpful...at mimi's choice for exmaple..mimi has offered to model things I might like to buy. I can see how it fits..the quality of the item etc..not sure why you dont find this helpful !

Link to post
Share on other sites


EmmaPartygirl wrote:

 

1)  If the picture of your outfit does not show both front and back I will not buy your product no matter how great it looks.  It doesn't matter what you put in the description I want to see how it looks on front and back. 
 

I recently purchased a fur jacket (the sleeves are detachable & I actually wear it as a vest) that is lined with spotted white cat fur. When I put it on I was surprised & delighted to discover that there is a mouse in the back pocket! Its head sticks out the top of the pocket and its tail sticks down thru a hole in the bottom. Whoever created a cat fur vest with a mouse in its rear pocket sure has a sense of humor! Had I been able to see the back of the vest before I bought it, I would have missed out on the surprise.

Jeanne

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I'm curious about where you got it. That sounds adorable!

On the other hand, there are those who might not appreciate the humor, and would be disappointed or irritated to find such a surprise. I can see the benefits of being able to see the back of an item, as well as the front. But, I'll still buy an item if I can't see the back, provided I like the front enough and have a reasonable understanding of what the back probably looks like. (Not all the teeny details, but the general idea of it.) I WON'T buy an item if I can't see the front. I've found a couple of items on the marketplace where the creator used a cute pose and the back of the dress was gorgeous, but I won't buy it because I can't see the front, only the back. The back is easier to extrapolate based on the front; it's much harder for me to visualize the front based on the back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a designer I am very careful to iterate in an NC either placed in the vendor or available at my collection wall, exactly what comes in each package. Any customer who wishes to see a dress or anything else can ask staff which are available. Sometimes though, due to the various possibilities in items, it is simply impossible to take a picture of all the variations and place them together on a vendor picture. Offering demos of items, sometimes works and sometimes does not. 

What I always tell my staff and I think any designer will tell you this, is that a lot of time does go into packaging an item. Indeed creating, taking photos, doing the montage, uploading the montage, doing the packaging, putting them into vendors takes a great deal more time than most imagine, espcially if you are doing a collection with varied colors. So some times it is simply not realistic for some of the requests for every item. 

In all cases, I think most good designers, will gladly offer someone who is interested a free item to try it on, and then leave it up to them to purchase the color they wish etc. and etc. that is simply good business sense (or have staff who can actually wear the item requested so the customer can see it in SL for themselves.)

It is always a need to weigh time vs. need when you create a new collection. It simply is a matter of priorities and what the customer needs and wants. However, one thing should never be overlooked in MHO. A detailed notecard should always be available for the item and what exactly is inside and how to wear it, unless of course it is just a top or such. 

My 2 cents on the matter

:)

Random Sixpence (Tara)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Ariel Vuissent wrote:

Now I'm curious about where you got it. That sounds adorable!

On the other hand, there are those who might not appreciate the humor, and would be disappointed or irritated to find such a surprise. I can see the benefits of being able to see the back of an item, as well as the front. But, I'll still buy an item if I can't see the back, provided I like the front enough and have a reasonable understanding of what the back probably looks like. (Not all the teeny details, but the general idea of it.) I WON'T buy an item if I can't see the front. I've found a couple of items on the marketplace where the creator used a cute pose and the back of the dress was gorgeous, but I won't buy it because I can't see the front, only the back. The back is easier to extrapolate based on the front; it's much harder for me to visualize the front based on the back.

Hi Ariel. I got my fur jacket at the Folkvangr site, on the Lexicolo sim. This is one of my favorite places I've found on SL so far. I think I paid $L 250 for the jacket. It has detachable sleeves and comes with a handwarmer... and a mouse! :)

Jeanne

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen lot of demo clothing. Rebel Hope has demo clothing and it's no different than demo skins or demo hair. They are marked demo all over or they have a demo tag you cannot remove. It's easy to do but takes some time but I agree with the OP on this.

The reason I think more don't do it is because if they did their sales would go down.  Actually, only about 50% of what I find that looks good on the vendor or website looks good on and more importantly, wears right when you get it on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

on number 4 I think you mean a pic of the clothes on a body?  If so I agree, all the clothes on lil hanges look so cute but leave me totally clueless and so I don't buy.  How short is that skirt?  That top sort of looks like a crop but is it?  I want a picture in the shop of clothing and shoes being worn so I have some perspective

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't find sales any better with front and back or full descriptions.There's no tried and true way to satisfy everyone. Being a designer in SL is extremely hard and time consuming work. I don't make demands of anyone who creates in SL, or disrespect them in forums.  Just shop where you find what you want.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What Faye said. I think most will buy what they like. Some will not but something regardless if they like it or not if it does not show areas they'd like to see. Personally, I don't necessairly have to have the back of of an article of clothing shown in order to buy it. I think that if the back part of an article of clothing was special the designer would want to show that anyway. But like most things, to each their own.

If the picture doesn't look good, or is too dark, or blurry people will pass up or at least I will. A picture has to show the clothing or item in a relatable way to consumers. Clear & good lighting, etc, or at least it is what I appreciate when I'm shopping.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Faye Feldragonne wrote:

I don't find sales any better with front and back or full descriptions.There's no tried and true way to satisfy everyone. Being a designer in SL is extremely hard and time consuming work. I don't make demands of anyone who creates in SL, or disrespect them in forums.  Just shop where you find what you want.

I feel the problem here is that the OP is saying that but without seeing the front and back, can't even determine if she has found what she wants but yes, if that can't be determined, the go elsewhere.

Simiarly, I rarely buy if the item has prim parts and the merchant has chosen to use the "NO FIT" permission.  That's the check box on the left of the permission choices in case it was too subtle.

I didn't find the OP to convey any disrespect, just her thoughts.  All too often there are threads in the Commerce groups about lack of sales and blaming it all on LL has done this or that when in reality the merchant themselves has much work to do and yet fails to recognise any area where they could change.  Some just don't want to and that's an equally acceptable stance as long as they appreciate that their sales may (or may not) be affected by such a choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just trying to be helpful and I agree that if they don't show what the back looks like it probably doesn't look great lol.  For a quick suggestion it's fine to show one view but if there's a fatback it really should show the product from front, back, and side.  Also when something does look good from the back it can be a selling point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a designer, I try hard to make sure that what you see is what you get.

The vendor pictures show both front and back and, in some cases, different ways of wearing the item.  All pictures list everything that is included in plain helvetica font, permissions in larger helvetica font, and the name of the item.

The items pictured go through very little post-processing.  Basically, I photograph everything against a green or blue chroma background with a special well-lit windlight setting.  I clip the chroma background out of the image and use a vendor template that is white with a bit of dusty color at the bottom so it makes the outfit easy to see.

My biggest pet peeve is goth stores that photograph their black clothing and put the items on a black background.  It makes things so hard to see!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...