IP Problems

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My dear SL friends:

My mother (in RL) and I both are on SL. We live in the same house and share the same IP, even if we use diferent computers. Actually she runs a PC with Windows XP and I use an iMac with Leopard OX. 

The thing is that we both have the same IP, and we are having some troubles around SL because of that. We are getting banned from places and being accused of being bots, and of course can't join both the same Xplos, for exapmple...

Is there any way to resolve this problem? Can one of us change his/her IP?

Thank you very much for attention. Looking forward for your kind answers

Robb

Turn off parcel media (in preferences), that should take care of many of those silly things. Parcel streams can also be an issue, if you want to be really sure turn them off too and back on when you want/need to listen to them.

Alternatively, but that's non-trivial, you could set your or her PC to use some anonymizing VPN service on the 'net for one of your PCs. Trouble with that will be bandwidth - most low-cost or free ones don't offer the bandwidth needed to run SL through it.

I use a commercial (busines-class) anonymizing VPN for that purpose, works well.

that's exactly what it is.... however many anonymizer addresses are also marked as problem addresses.

My advice is to avoid like the plague anyone or any location that relies on ip matching alone to determine troublesome residents... it might  be a different story if one of you had done something wrong, but banning people for having the same IP address alone is just plain stupid.

Hi sorry to hear about the issue, There is two ways to get around having the same IP address.

There are a few bot detectors that work through media, Red Zone was one of them, as well as a few others which prevent people from being in two locations or more with the same IP addresses, and in my opinion such systems like Red Zone & CDS which scans people through media without consent need to be banned from use in SL unless it asks consent first at which point if you decline it has no right just to ninja scan people.

However there are ways around IP detection through media even when you both have media enabled.

1. Use a VPN on one computer which changes your IP address as long as your connected through the VPN which means both Linden Lab, or the service you are accessing will not see you connecting through your original IP address buti t will show the server it is connected to, while griefers like to abuse such, there are legit purposes to do this to avoid detection of your RL Location, or to avoid an issue of such.

2. Buy two seperate Gateways one for each computer, possibly a DSL connection add with your primary connection this way you can both login with two seperate IP addresses without any issues. *Aka you call your ISP and get two seperate modems, or buy two services from two different internet providers.*

3. As far as being IP banned by LL if you run across a proxy server that is IP blocked by Linden Lab, just skip to another VPN server until you find one that works, I dont use VPN's all the time, but any time I go to a club, or a place I feel might be violating my privacy in SL until I know them I always enable and run through a VPN, of course if someone else uses the same IP address to do griefing, or abusing it can be mistaken by Linden Lab for example as me or someone else who is using such to be a griefer, but in that case I just call Linden Lab & file an appeal, although I have never had this occur to me, but again I rarely use a VPN when using SL only when I dont want my information exposed to third parties.

4. These Bot, or Copybot protectors that work through IP addresses do not work anyways as every Bot user, or Copybot out there knows how to disable media, they all use throw away accounts when they login anyways, and they only bring harm to innocent people like you for example have a legit reason and right for both you, and your family members to be accessing and playing SL unless LL says otherwise, but these type of anti bot systems some of them defame users, others collect IP addresses without consent, and Linden Lab needs to make a strict policy against such systems that do such because I have been hit by them myself too at times.

These systems are not accurate in any way they never have been, and such systems are used at times just to point accusations and fingers at other people with no evidence at all, and for personal vendetta's which I hate, and will not support such abusers, or abusive systems in our grid.

Here is a list of free web proxies, I am not sure if they work with media in SL though, because I use a full VPN which covers my entire PC when I use one, but it is built into every sl viewer a place for a proxy.

http://hidemyass.com/proxy-list/

• 1 year later...

Knowl Paine wrote:

A second line of service is about your only option.

You could change your IP from time to time. Sometimes the ISP will change it for their own reasons or by your request.  

I agree with you.If it is dynamic ip means it will automatically change, when we reset the  modem by switch off then switch on....Static ip means we can't change at any situation ...Contact with the ISP and tell them to provide ip . Check the ip address is static or dynamic with the website

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.