Sign in to follow this  
Esparanza Azalee

My sl partner often accuses me of alting? I am not alting But, She has alts so Why am I being ?'d

I don't know what else to do or say... She has seen my IP addy and I just learned that a program was used to track and search for alts... But what would be the point..Linden labs gives each account 5 alts if they choose to use them... She has an alt I met the alt before I partnering with her... Why the constant insecurities..I don't get it ..Please someone help me to understand

You could consider asking this question in the Lifestyles & Relationships category or in General discussions. You may attract a greater number of responses in those categories.

Lack of trust, lack of communication, lack of understanding, odd or unusual behavior or mannnerisms.

The second leading cause is exposure or discovery of actual guilt. They are not crazy, that person is cheating.

a link to the category http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Lifestyles-and-Relationships/bd-p/lifestyles_relationships

• Like 2

The only way you could fully understand your partner is by being her psychiatrist and finding out what is causing such deep-seated insecurities.

The odd thing is, people often accuse others of things they are guilty of themselves. 

You can use alts if you choose to, and she can't do a thing about it.  Maybe that's the issue; she needs to know where you are and what you're doing 24 hours of the day (and no one can do that, not even if they're married in real life). 

I would advise you not to even try to understand her; SL should be for fun, not for dealing with people with such issues.  

Oh, and if you ever do discover that someone is using something like the Redzone device that can allegedly link alts by their IP address, submit an abuse report to LL.  These things are outlawed.  (And several people can share an IP address, so the information isn't even accurate.)

• Like 2

Esparanza Azalee wrote:

I don't know what else to do or say... She has seen my IP addy and I just learned that a program was used to track and search for alts... But what would be the point..Linden labs gives each account 5 alts if they choose to use them... She has an alt I met the alt before I partnering with her... Why the constant insecurities..I don't get it ..Please someone help me to understand

This is the very thing that drove me to create an alt!

My sl ex- was very possessive & accused me of stuff, so I would look on the dashboard to see if he was inworld & if he was, would login with the alt I created for this very purpose. I finally got tired of doing this so I clicked so that he couldn't see when I came inworld. He got mad at me for doing this & unfriended me. LoL  After that, I had little use for my alt & seldom use her anymore.

Jeanne

I have found those who accuse are actually typically the guilty party. I am not saying this is the case with you. I do not know your full situation. I do know, if your partner has any doubt about your loyalty and/or honesty, regardless the topic at hand, there may be a reason for that insecurity that needs to be addressed. I think the fact that you are asking US why she has alts but you are being "?'d" is, in itself, a statement which speaks extreme measures. Your partnet should be telling you this, not anyone else.

Good luck to you and yours!

Sincerely,

Brutally Honest

Esparanza Azalee wrote:

She has your IP addy?  You mean because she runs and owns a sim or something?  How did she get ahold of that?  I'd advise you get away immediately and don't even look back cuz that's crazy stuff that could lead to a real life stalking.

So, mute her and take precautions to stay safe. 

Mayalily wrote:

I'd advise you get away immediately and don't even look back cuz that's crazy stuff that could lead to a real life stalking.

Hyperbole. It's pretty weird and obsessive behaviour for sure, but IP addresses are pretty much useless for geo-location.

I echo your sentiment, though. OP's woman be crazy.

if you believe that an IP address is of no use for geolocation you would be wrong, depending on the skillset or determination of the stalker, it is a starting point. I suggest you look on YouTube and search for the Defcon presentation titled "how I met your girlfriend". Geolocation to 30 feet.

Mayalily wrote:

Esparanza Azalee wrote:

She has your IP addy?  You mean because she runs and owns a sim or something?  How did she get ahold of that?  I'd advise you get away immediately and don't even look back cuz that's crazy stuff that could lead to a real life stalking.

So, mute her and take precautions to stay safe. 

You don't need to own a sim to get someone's IP address... all you need is a music stream.  Anytime you listen to music in SL the person that owns the stream will be able to see your IP on their list of listeners... if you're their only listener at the moment then it's easy to tell that IP on their list is yours.

I believe this can also be done with inworld media as well... but I have no experience with that, so I can't say for sure.

@Esparanza: I don't think you meant to, but you did start two of the exact same thread.  I must add that sometimes a person will project their bad behavior onto their partners.  As if, because they are doing it, their partner must be doing it as well.  Just a thought.

...Dres

If two people enter into a relationship KNOWING they both have alt accounts (none hidden) there should not be an issue. IF one of the two has created a new alt to go behind their partners back to cheat, then perhaps there is why the trust issue is there. I have seen too many people create alts just for that purpose, I myself do not agree with this, the way I see it, if someone has the "urge" to run behind their partners back to cheat with an alt, they should have enough honesty within them to voice it so the relationship can end on healthy terms. Secrets in any relationship is not healthy nor should there be secrets or things hidden, if you can't be open with one another what was the point of entering that relationship in the first place.

... IP addresses are pretty much useless for geo-location.

That depends. When I was in college my IP addie reveled even the floor of the dorm I was on.

The ISP I now use assigns IPs that narrow my location down to region but not even to the specific state.

So it all depends on the internet service provider you use.

Jeanne

I honestly dont see the problem here.

Just create another alt, without telling your partner. Then you can cheat on her with a clean conscience.

Make sure you are never on the same sim as this partenr, or accept any "gifts" from her...as they may have tracking devices in them.

I'm with Heather. She obviously doesn't trust you. Either you are "alting" and she caught you, and you don't want to admit it (not accusing in any way; I don't know one way or the other); or she's just insanely insecure, possibly guilty of "alting" herself in order to cheat on you, and projects that onto you. Since obviously, if she does it, you must also do it.

It's also possible she met someone who looks like you, said they were you, or "sounded" a lot like you (i.e. the way they "spoke" in chat is similar to the way you speak) and assumed that that person must in fact BE you.

Either way, you won't really be able to convince her other way, if she's that set on it. She may just be one of those super insecure people, with trust issues, self-confidence issues, etc. My personal vote is that she's "alting" to cheat on you and is projecting what she does onto you so she'll feel less guilty, or something. But again, I don't know one way or the other.

If it's bothering you, tell her. Let her decide if she wants to stop accusing of things you probably aren't doing, or lose you.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

It's accurate for city level information.  But that means I can tell
 from
, but not, say, Utica Square from Woodland Hills Shopping Center.

So you didn't watch the video I referred to earlier on geolocating someone to 30 feet then?  Might want to watch it. 

Yes it requires skill but don't fool yourself into thinking that IP address only gets to city level, next steps beyond that get to your door.

Esparanza Azalee wrote:

She has an alt I met the alt before I partnering with her... 

Therein lies your answer. 

Maybe her alt(s) aren't on the up and up and her guilty conscience makes her suspicious of everyone.

Just a thought.

I'm talking about GeoIP.  You're talking about a convuluted attack that requires you to stalk your victim online in HTTP space to even make possible.

BettyBoop String wrote:

Yes well you didn't originally make reference to limited tools whereas my post was intended to illustrate what can be done and yes it's convoluted and unliikely but possible.

I considered it implied that I would be referring to the same GeoIP toolkit that gives you "good enough" positioning based on publicly available information that everyone who isn't a nutter uses, not cracking someone's LAN and router to hear what's on the radio around to give you a 4 block radius hit.

I suggest you get out of the relationship right now, and make it so the person cannot see you come on SL. It can be very,very dangerous, especially for those types of people that are stalking other people for the sake of trying to keep tabs on where they are or who they are with. If your partner and you have nothing to hide, then there should be no need of that.

Seems like she has a guilty conscience and is probably doing something behind your back. People often want to keep tabs on people because they dont want their partner to know they are cheating on them, so they try and keep tabs on where they are and what they are doing so the partner does NOT find out.

It's common in the real world and on SL, but also, if she is using Redzone or another illegal program, report her to LL so she may be properly punished for breaking TOS.

@Ariel Vuissent

I can bet OP is alting like mad... That's why her partner is accusing her

As others have said do not worry about the IP, you cant do nothing with it worthless tbh they can be changed, spoofed, hidden..

As for obtaining it, just a simple sending each other an email or useing skype together ect.

If she is the one with many alts and is accuseing you dont worry about it let her chase you she is the one on her toes not you so just relax..

Worst case dump her and move on, theres plenty of decent woman