Radeon (TM) HD 6770M ???

k7eelan Rae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a new PC and i can't start SLV. When I'm starting SLV a window opens that says

"Error Second Life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly,are out of date or are for unsupported hardware.Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have latest,try reinstalling them.

Notebook HP Pavilion dv6-6180 se  qf459ea

Processor Intel Core i7-267QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

RAM 6 GB
Hard drive 750 GB
1366 x 768
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 2GB

I just read the specs on your computer:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/product/QE023UA%2523ABA

And, here we go again..........another computer with switchable graphics that uses a video card very capable of running SL without issues (well, not many anyway) getting that same message as a computer with graphics that is not capable of running SL at all.  I've banged my head on this for a couple weeks now ever since I first started noticing threads about not being able to use SL when the machine specs indicate the computer would run SL well.  I think it's something to do with the switchable graphics that all manufacturers of laptops are beginning to incorporate in the higher end computers (higher end meaning more expensive..........as far as I can tell your computer cost close to $1,000 USD!!).  From what I've read about updating drivers there is a very specific way to do it.........something about updating the motherboard drivers first, then the graphics drivers (I think if you do it any other way more problems are created........I'm not sure though).  Check your users manual to see if any help is offered there..........but I read a manual online for an Acer and no usefull information except the motherboard first, then graphics for updating.  Considering the money laid out for the computer I would call HP's tech support for help............it just seems the switchable graphics does not work as advertised in all situations.  The HD 6770 card is well capable of running SL (possibly at ultra settings without much lag).  The 'on chip" graphics (intregrated graphics on the CPU chipset) is another story............probably not able to run SL.  The switchable graphics should switch to the 6770, but apparently is not dolng so.

Ugh. Why do they even do that? Yeah, yeah, it's a battery-saving thing. Pshaw.

I found this interesting when reading up on HPs switchable graphics: OpenGL applications use the integrated graphics processors only. (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03048333)

ETA: The above refers to notebooks with switchable AMD graphics. They have this to say about switchable AMD/Intel:

Dynamic Switchable Graphics: OpenGL applications cannot be configured to use the discrete GPU
When configuring the Dynamic Switchable Graphics in the Catalyst Control Center, some notebook PCs may not permit any OpenGL applications to be associated with the Discrete (dGPU) or high-performance GPU. The OpenGL applications will work using the power-saving or Integrated GPU (iGPU) but the performance levels may be lower than expected. HP has released an updated BIOS and AMD Graphics driver to enable Fixed Mode Switchable Graphics functionality for certain notebook models originally configured with Dynamic Switchable Graphics.
To find more information about the OpenGL limitations and to obtain the updated BIOS and driver see OpenGL Applications Cannot Be Configured to Use the Discrete GPU. (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03048374)

That sucks big time!  Thanks, Griffin, I've been hitting my head so long it's really beginning to hurt.

I've never been a fan of "auto" anything unless the auto feature can be disabled easily.  It seems it's another one of those "we know what's best for you" things.  I'd return any product like that in a heartbeat...........and try to get double my money back for aggrivation.  But that's just me.

There's HP tech support.......call them.  It doesn't matter where you purchased your computer, if it's a problem with he computer HP needs to correct it. 

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/us/en/pclc/articles/hp-support-assistant.html?jumpid=ex_r602_go/hpsupportassistant

I wouldn't hesitate.......no matter what country I bought a computer in.  HP is a US company, they have laws mandating they take care of problems with their products in this country.  A thousand USD is a lot of money.  It means the computer is not a throw away device........make them fix it or give you your money back.

Maybe you can take a look in the BIOS-Settings, there might be an option under internal devices to disable the onboard graphics. I did that with my Lenovo (internal Intel graphics + additional AMD/ATI 3650 chip). I lost the power savings (neglectable for me) and won a great performance :-)

I picked up a coiuple of threads discussing this issue and i understand people's frustration. There is nothing wrong with the Second Life viewer, there is nothing wrong either with the 6770M GPU and there is nothing wrong with your HP notebook. The only problem is HP's feature of dynamic switchable graphics between the inboard low performance and the additional high-performance GPU's. There is an easy solution to it, which will take you 30 minutes to install and get your SLV up and running fine. Here is my post pasted from another thread.

First of all there is an easy solution to your problem, but let me first explain what is going wrong here. The newer HP notebooks, DV6 and DV7 (and Envy for that matter) use a feature called Dynamic switching of GPU's. Note that these notebooks are fitted with both the internal Intel graphic processor for low performance and an alternative, high performance GPU. In order to save power, HP will automatically switch between the two depending on the graphic requirements of the application and whether or not the notebook is plugged in. To some extent you can change the power saving settings to use the high performance GPU's, but there is only one issue, you can not set high performance for OpenGL application such as Second Life viewers. Now if you don't do anything about this, then you are stuck and you end up using a reasonable high performance notebook in a low performance mode in respect of certain applications. Meanwhile, HP have recognized the problem and issued two upgrades, both necessary, to overcome the problem. First of all you will need to download and install an upgrade of the BIOS. The upgrade contains a setting to change the switchable graphics from Dynamic to Fixed, which is what you want to do. Sounds difficult and critical? It is not difficult, but BIOS upgrades always are critical so therefore follow the simple instructons carefully. The second upgrade covers the Intel and, in your case AMD, drivers for the GPU's, to enable the Fixed mode. A simple installation. Do you need to go back to the BIOS each time you run Second Life? No, you only perform this action once. Basically, you want the notebook to work in Fixed mode for switchable GPU's to get the most out of your high performing GPU. Also in Fixed mode, you can easily set the GPU's to low power functioning once you remove the power line.. Okay, that is most likely what your problem is. Here is the link where you can solve the issue. It will take 30 minutes of your time and you  will be running SL with a good Graphics card. Good luck with it.

The first link shows HP's official ackowledgement of the issue. It contains also the links to both upgrades. The second link below takes you directly to the upgrade downloads.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/Official-HP-statement-on-Switchable-Graphics...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=dk&lc=da&dlc=da&docname=c02948560

Have fun. You will find Second Life working fine with the 6770M GPU.

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.